Is it bad to reward yourself with food

tjsims8
tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
When I hit my weekly goal. I want to reward myself by having some foods I’ve been craving...Like Krispy Kreme donuts and pizza. Does anyone else do this?Is this a bad practice? Should I not look at having “bad” food as a reward

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    My preference is to reward myself with new clothes. I think food rewards can lead to falling into bad habits. Just my preference though.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2019
    It would be bad for me to feel like any food needs to be earned in a special way (other than working). It is very important that I always feel like anything I want to eat can be eaten with some planning because when I feel like something if off-limits I want it MUCH more.

I do bank calories and I almost always eat my maintenance calories on Sunday which gives me much more opportunity for fun food.

ETA: If you think it will work for you, you can always try it and change it later if it turns out to be a bad idea.
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    edited May 2019
    I reward myself every Friday night with food. I weigh in on Friday mornings. If I have been absolutely faithful to my eating plan all week, I allow myself to eat as much of anything I want, for that one meal only. Doing it that way gives me an entire week to get rid of any weight I put on Friday, and to allow any water weight from sodium to stabilize. I'm back on plan Saturday morning without fail. I've learned that I no longer like over-stuffing myself, but I do enjoy a good "bad" meal once a week

I have a tremendous amount of discipline, though, and not everyone might be able to do it that way. I've lost 60 lbs. in 87 days.
  • purwonder
    purwonder Posts: 25 Member
    I wouldn’t say it’s a bad thing. Especially as long as you’re staying within your calorie budget. For me, I eat as healthy as possible and accept that cravings will come until they don’t anymore. So I include foods that I like in my plan such as: pizza and chicken wings, desserts and fried chicken and biscuits. I don’t binge and I make a conscious effort to not eat these foods often. I simply make sure that I don’t go over my calories for that day. We are human so, diets, lifestyle changes, nor anything else you try to achieve in life will be perfect. It’s an imperfect journey to a healthier life, you only need to focus on not quitting when things get hard. God is with us, stay in prayer with Jesus and keep doing good.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I reward myself with food.

Not my weight loss in particular but things in general.

Worked hard all day, I deserve a couple of chocolates at end of the day.

( they fit within my calorie allowance and dont cause a binge or unhealthy relationship or anything so can't see any problem)
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Between 6pm ans 12pm saturdays if a free for all. Anything goes. Just get it out of your system before it becomes a problem.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I think the doing it as a reward like this sets you up to overvalue the reward aspect of the foods, which leads to temptations, cravings, and potentially binging.
    I think just having a food you want when it is reasonable is a good practice.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I say log the food you want in the morning and work your calories for the day around it. It's not an award because you're making it fit.

I think rewarding ourselves with food is why most people are here trying to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't look at it as a reward, nor do I categorize foods as good or bad. I look at my diet and nutrition on the whole and don't get wrapped up in the minutia of this particular food or that particular food or this particular meal or that particular meal. On the whole, my diet is very sound...we have pizza night most Friday nights...in regards to the bigger picture and what I'm doing most of the time, pizza night is pretty irrelevant.