Calories, losing weight and work

Options
snake_man_32
snake_man_32 Posts: 31 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all. I posted a while ago about a new part-time job I'm working that requires a lot of walking (16,000-28,000 steps per day) with some moderate lifting. I asked if I should either count the steps as exercise and keep my daily calories at "sedentary", or if I should change my daily calories to "active" and not count the steps as exercise.

Well, recently I linked the MyFitnessPal app with the iPhone Health app, and now MyFitnessPal is logging my steps at work as exercise. So now MyFitnessPal has adjusted my daily calorie needs to include both my "active" level as well as extra calories for my "exercise" at work.

Now, my question is should I readjust my daily calories needs back to sedentary and only eat extra on the days I work and get "exercise" (i.e. the 16,000-28,000 steps I get from my job)? Or, should I stick with the "active" daily calorie needs and ignore MyFitnessPal suggesting extra calories for the "exercise" from my job.

For your information, I work eight-hour days, four days per week. I do a lot of walking in a large retail store, and my heart rate usually gets high enough to be considered moderate but not vigorous exercise for about half of my eight-hour shift.

Thank you!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Was having your settings at active working for you? If so, I'd probably stick with that and ignore the extra calories. If not, then I'd switch it up.
  • snake_man_32
    edited May 2019
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »
    Was having your settings at active working for you? If so, I'd probably stick with that and ignore the extra calories. If not, then I'd switch it up.

Active was working, yes, but the weight loss slowed down somewhat from when I was eating for a sedentary lifestyle.

I started at 200ish pounds (at 23+% bf) and my goal is 175 pounds (15% bf). I'm now at 187 pounds (21.1% bf).

When I was eating for a sedentary lifestyle, MyFitnessPal suggested 2,090 calories to lose one pound per week. However, after I got this part-time job I changed that setting to active lifestyle, which increased my daily calorie needs to 2,430 (to still lose one pound per week).

Now, after linking MyFitnessPal with iPhone's Health app, MyFitnessPal is suggested roughly 350-500 calories on top of the 2,430 on the days I work my part-time retail job. On my off days at my sedentary job I eat only 2,430 calories.

I guess I'll just ignore the recommendation for extra calories on my active work days and see how things go. I could also experiment and eat only 2,090 calories plus 350-500 on my active work days and see if I get extra hungry at night.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What is the difference in calories from sedentary to active?
    How many calories do you get for your steps, averaged out over 7 days?

May end up being close then just pick one and go with it. If done correctly should be six of one, or half a dozen of the other
  • snake_man_32
    edited May 2019
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

May end up being close then just pick one and go with it. If done correctly should be six of one, or half a dozen of the other

From sedentary to active, the difference is about 340 calories (2090 to 2,430) per day.

On top of that, MyFitnessPal will suggest an extra 350-500 calories (making it about 2,780 to 2,930 calories) on the days I walk 16,000-28,000 steps at work.

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds per week until I get to about 175 (I'm 187.1 pounds right now).

I guess I'll just ignore the recommendation to eat extra on the days I work my retail job, then see if i get ravenous and overeat the next day. A bit of hunger is OK, but if I overeat the next day that means I didn't eat enough the previous day or two.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

From sedentary to active, the difference is about 340 calories (2090 to 2,430) per day.

On top of that, MyFitnessPal will suggest an extra 350-500 calories (making it about 2,780 to 2,930 calories) on the days I walk 16,000-28,000 steps at work).

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds per week until I get to about 175 (I'm 187.1 pounds right now).

I guess I'll just ignore the recommendation to eat extra on the days I work my retail job, then see if i get ravenous and overeat the next day.

You're getting the adjustment because even though you're set to active, your actual activity level on working days exceeds MFP's calculation of active...because with that many steps, you are very active. Do you have negative adjustments enabled? One issue could be that you're still eating "active" calories on non-working days when you may be far less active.
  • snake_man_32
    edited May 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

On top of that, MyFitnessPal will suggest an extra 350-500 calories (making it about 2,780 to 2,930 calories) on the days I walk 16,000-28,000 steps at work).

I guess I'll just ignore the recommendation to eat extra on the days I work my retail job, then see if i get ravenous and overeat the next day.

You're getting the adjustment because even though you're set to active, your actual activity level on working days exceeds MFP's calculation of active...because with that many steps, you are very active. Do you have negative adjustments enabled? One issue could be that you're still eating "active" calories on non-working days when you may be far less active.

No, I don't have any "negative adjustments" enabled. Do I find those under Settings?

Edit: Nevermind, I found how to enable the negative calorie adjustment function.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would set my activity level to Sedentary and eat towards that goal on the days that you don't work. On the days that you do work, I would eat half of however many calories MFP gives you for being active.

What ever you decide to do, I recommend sticking with it for at least 4 weeks so that you can get a good read of exactly how the work and non-work days are effecting your weight loss.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

2lbs/week with only 12lbs to go isn't going to happen. If 175 is in healthy weight range for your height even 1lb/week may be too much. Expect weight loss to slow the closer you get to your goal.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

On top of that, MyFitnessPal will suggest an extra 350-500 calories (making it about 2,780 to 2,930 calories) on the days I walk 16,000-28,000 steps at work.

I guess I'll just ignore the recommendation to eat extra on the days I work my retail job, then see if i get ravenous and overeat the next day. A bit of hunger is OK, but if I overeat the next day that means I didn't eat enough the previous day or two.

16-28K is a lot. Even if set for active, you'll need to eat some of those back.

Further, you are very close to goal. I don't recommend anywhere near 2 pounds per week. Slower is better. You mentioned you lift. Keep doing that. Trying to lose 2 pounds per week at 20% bf or less is going to result in more muscle loss than you want.

Other than that, I'd eat your 2100 or so on non-work days and 2500 or so on work days. More if you lose faster than 1 pound per week.
  • snake_man_32
    Options

2lbs/week with only 12lbs to go isn't going to happen. If 175 is in healthy weight range for your height even 1lb/week may be too much. Expect weight loss to slow the closer you get to your goal.

OK, that makes sense. I am finding that the loss has slowed down the last month or so. I just want to get it over with so I can go to maintenance, or maybe a slight surplus for weight lifting!
  • snake_man_32
    Options
    If it were me, I would set my activity level to Sedentary and eat towards that goal on the days that you don't work. On the days that you do work, I would eat half of however many calories MFP gives you for being active.

What ever you decide to do, I recommend sticking with it for at least 4 weeks so that you can get a good read of exactly how the work and non-work days are effecting your weight loss.

I will. Thanks!
  • snake_man_32
    edited May 2019
    Options

16-28K is a lot. Even if set for active, you'll need to eat some of those back.

Further, you are very close to goal. I don't recommend anywhere near 2 pounds per week. Slower is better. You mentioned you lift. Keep doing that. Trying to lose 2 pounds per week at 20% bf or less is going to result in more muscle loss than you want.

Other than that, I'd eat your 2100 or so on non-work days and 2500 or so on work days. More if you lose faster than 1 pound per week.

Yeah, with the negative adjustments function on I learned yesterday that I need to eat about 2,750+ calories on my work days (that includes a 500-calorie deficit to lose one pound per week). So the MyFitnessPal app was correct that I needed to eat more than 2,430 calories per day.

Comparatively, on my off-days, MyFitnessPal suggests only about 1,700-1,900 calories (unless I work out, which adds another 200-300 calories) because I walk so much less at my other job. Again, this includes a 500-calorie deficit to lose one pound per week.

My only concern with eating such a small amount on my off-days is hitting my goal for protein.