Starting a Lifting Program while Cutting - Need Your Thoughts

Options
Justin_7272
Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
I'm 5'10", down to 165lbs (17-20% bf) from 185. Want to get to 155 before bulking. I average 1-2 hours cardio per day, with a daily caloric deficit around 1,000 calories. Once I hit GW, I plan to bulk to ~170, then cut.
I'm planning on beginning strong lifts 5x5, as I haven't lifted in 5+ years and thus consider myself "beginner" status. My question is about timing.
If I begin lifting now, I still plan to lose weight, so I won't gain mass. I will hopefully be able to focus on lifting form. My concerns are namely;

1) weight loss stalling due to potential reduction in cardio

2) progressive lifting stalling due to trying to increase weight while in a deficit

I'm wondering if I should start SL or wait until I hit GW to begin SL and bulk. Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I lost weight without doing one second of cardio, only lifting. In fact, the coach who helped me to finally start losing weight, after I had been going to the gym and doing 'stuff' for like a YEAR without any weight loss, told me to stop doing all cardio and just follow the lifting program she gave me.

I still very rarely do focussed cardio - and if I do, definitely not for that long. I might go on a hike or something pleasant like that for a long time, but not with the intention to "do cardio".

When I feel the need to lose weight, I still do. By shutting my pie hole a bit more.

So - you can start your lifting if you like. Just watch your caloric intake. That is all.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Why are you even doing a cut and bulk like this? Your final goal weight is 5 pounds more than your current weight, just do a slow body recomposition with a (very) slight surplus. As I understand, it's easier to build muscle that way. And this is from a larger guy who has been workout out while on a 1000 calorie per day deficit. I was (still am kinda) pretty fat though so it was possible for me.

You're not fat. Your body probably can't draw energy fast enough from your fat stores to actually facilitate not losing muscle if you cut like that. Start lifting now, calculate your maintainence calories, try that for a week, see if you don't gain too much weight, and if you start losing weight, add a couple extra hundred.

As for cardio, I do one cardio day a week, and I do it on an elliptical style machine with max resistance. My legs have grown at a tremendous rate, along with regular weight lifting. I do think having a high resistance cardio day does help on that front.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    On top of what others said, you should only do SL for a few month until you build good form and adequate strength (usually 3-9 months). Then you should move to another program with more volume if the goal is muscle gains. Or you can even start out with a program with a bit more volume but is still designed for beginners.

I would also agree on limiting cardio to a few hours a week.
  • nastroazzurro
    nastroazzurro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did SL for 4 months and lost weight on about a 350 - 400 cal deficit with no cardio at all.
    Great strength and muscle gains too.
    Have changed program now with a weekly weight increase rather than upping weight every workout.
    Have started cardio now. Twice a week for 20 min treadmill run,
    Cut cal deficit to 200 cals as don’t want to lose too much more now.
    Strength still increasing and have only stalled on OHP (which is pretty normal).
    Have been eating well and supplementing with protein powder.
    It’s still working for me.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly if your planning to continue to lose weight and eventually add mass. SL isn't optimal in either scenario. It isn't designed to build mass and being a LP that utilizes 5 sets of 5 it really isn't ideal for weight loss for several reasons.

You being considered a novice or new lifter, SL could do you as individual well just like any program though.

I'm not trying to down SL, I just think there are better options for short & long term goals.

A intelligently written program that includes both hypertrophy and strength for a beginner would be optimal or even a auto regulated based hypertrophy program would do you better for both short & long term.

Regardless what you choose you will see results because being so sensitive to training. Just with goals so specific I think you would a better ROI on ypur time training.

Good luck and glad to see you lifting.

• HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Your amount of cardio is extremely excessive unless you’re training for a Marathon or something like that.

If you insist on that much cardio then you probably should be eating around maintenance. Allowing your cardio work to make the caloric deficit.

While bulking, a couple hours of cardio a week is enough, but honestly isn’t really needed and can actually hurt your strength gains and recovery.

I love the concept of ss 3x5 and sl 5x5 and have based much of my training on these. Over time it will need to evolve but since you’re just starting out again, I think they are a great option.

Especially because you mentioned you want to focus on lifting form. Starting SL immediately will allow you time so start relatively light while in your deficit and work on form.

LP will stall quicker while in a deficit so you’ll want to be in a surplus when you feel that time is approaching. Being in a surplus should help you break through any plateaus you may have encountered while cutting.