How do I Eat More Fiber?

2»

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Thank you everyone. I think I'm gonna try have bananas for breakfast and try get more veggies in at dinner.

My lunch is usually a couple cups of broccoli but that barely seems to get me anything.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I also wanted to add there’s a ton of high fiber cereals out there too have you had kashi go lean? A ton of fiber and protein. 1.5 cups with a cup of almond milk is 210 calories and a buttload of fiber and protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    My stomach is still a disaster. Looking at my diary, I get barely any fiber in a day, averaging between two and seven out of 25.

But how? I eat a bunch of broccoli for lunch, take a fiber supplement before bed, I'm trying to add chia seeds to my yogurt (but the texture makes me gag.)

It all amounts to not a whole lot, since I don't eat much. Is fruit my only option? Even if I liked much fruit, it's so expensive. :(

I have a hard time with tart/acidic flavors.

Oats, beans, lentils, whole grain breads, etc. There are some vegetables that are more fibrous than others, but but for the most part, veggies aren't big fiber bombs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thank you everyone. I think I'm gonna try have bananas for breakfast and try get more veggies in at dinner.

My lunch is usually a couple cups of broccoli but that barely seems to get me anything.

Veggies are great for their vitamins and minerals...and while they do have fiber, they really aren't the best sources typically.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Veggies are great for their vitamins and minerals...and while they do have fiber, they really aren't the best sources typically.

Agreed. OP, focusing on veggies for fiber is generally going to be frustrating. Most of the ones I eat only give me one or two grams per serving.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I eat a bowl of plain oats every morning. Sucks, but... fiber.
  • Terytha
    But I hate beans and don't know how to make oats or lentils. D:

OK. I'll try that yogurt with added fiber that was mentioned to go with my bananas, and I can grab fiber one bars too. I don't usually have time for cereal. I'll look into grain breads again but they cost so much and go bad so fast.

Sigh. I'm so bad at food.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Have a handful of nuts with each meal or as a snack 3x a day. Plain, unsalted , unsweetened. Broccoli is great fibre, have it with a baked potato with the skin on. Added fibre foods are ok but you should be able to get enough without them. Make sure all your carbs are wholewheat and also plenty of water! Blueberries are one of the most fibrous fruits, with some plain yoghurt, perfect!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2019
    But I hate beans and don't know how to make oats or lentils. D:

OK. I'll try that yogurt with added fiber that was mentioned to go with my bananas, and I can grab fiber one bars too. I don't usually have time for cereal. I'll look into grain breads again but they cost so much and go bad so fast.

Sigh. I'm so bad at food.

I want to just give you a hug and tell you you'll figure it out. Because you will!

Oats are really easy, lentils I had a learning curve with. I was like 45 the first time I tried to cook lentils. Have you had beans in stuff - Like beans and rice, or beans in tacos, or white beans with veggies? Do you like baked beans? When I started eating them, I'd buy one can and then google "pinto bean recipes" or "cannelini bean recipes".

You could also start a thread in the Food forum like "What do you do with oats" and get lots of ideas :smile:

Hang in there...
  • Terytha
    No nuts because allergies in the house. No (or extremely limited) strawberries or eggplant because allergies also.

I'll see about experimenting with other stuff later.

Beans are just gross. Blech. Like peas, all mushy.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    No nuts because allergies in the house. No (or extremely limited) strawberries or eggplant because allergies also.

I'll see about experimenting with other stuff later.

Beans are just gross. Blech. Like peas, all mushy.

Ever tried cooking them from scratch? They don't have to be that way, nor do they have to be complicated or time-consuming.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Have you tried potato skins? When we make mashed potatoes, I save the peel and roast it with olive oil. Delicious and crispy, and a fiber bomb.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2019
    I get way too much fiber, so maybe I can help, LOL.

Do you eat bread or wraps? I get so much fiber just by eating a few low calorie wraps a day. 7-10g fiber per wrap.

Most protein bars have 14-18g fiber per bar. I eat a few a day.

Do you like pumpkin?

Most "protein snacks" like chips , cookies, bars, etc. all have high fiber.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Fiber One cereal will do the trick if you just wanna get your fiber stats up. It doesn't taste bad either, especially if you mix it with vanilla protein powder.

Are you having digestive issues? Is there a reason you're wanting more fiber? I've read stuff saying the recommendations are overblown.

If you are having digestive issues: baby carrots are magic!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Fiber One cereal will do the trick if you just wanna get your fiber stats up. It doesn't taste bad either, especially if you mix it with vanilla protein powder.

Are you having digestive issues? Is there a reason you're wanting more fiber? I've read stuff saying the recommendations are overblown.

If you are having digestive issues: baby carrots are magic!

In the U.S., baby carrots are just carved-up regular carrots, and because of that they rot a lot faster than a carrot left whole with its surface unbroken. So anything that a baby carrot does for your digestion, a regular carrot should do just as well, without paying more for the convenience of food that's heading down hill fast.