How long is your gym work out?

Options
Just wondering, I've only been going for about two weeks now and I spend about 1 hour per work out three times a week.

How long is your work out? Has this been upped or lowered since you started/your goal changed?
Does it vary depending on the day or your mood?

:)

Replies

• trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I go 4 or 5 times a week and do 45 minute sessions, I fit them in before work in a morning during the week...so I only have that limited window of time as the gym opens at 07:15 and I start work at 09:00... On the weekends I go either Saturday or Sunday (depending on what plans we have) and I might do an hour...adding on a bit more cardio...if I feel like it.

I used to go 3 days a week and yes I did about an hour...but as my life changed and things evolved I have stuck with this 4/5 day model for about a year now and it seems to work for me.

I try to have a flexible approach mind...as I missed yesterday morning due to a late night on Tuesday...so again I might go a bit longer on the cardio on Saturday...depending on how I feel and what else we have planned...
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    trbp72 wrote: »
    I go 4 or 5 times a week and do 45 minute sessions, I fit them in before work in a morning during the week...so I only have that limited window of time as the gym opens at 07:15 and I start work at 09:00... On the weekends I go either Saturday or Sunday (depending on what plans we have) and I might do an hour...adding on a bit more cardio...if I feel like it.

I used to go 3 days a week and yes I did about an hour...but as my life changed and things evolved I have stuck with this 4/5 day model for about a year now and it seems to work for me.

I try to have a flexible approach mind...as I missed yesterday morning due to a late night on Tuesday...so again I might go a bit longer on the cardio on Saturday...depending on how I feel and what else we have planned...

Thank you so much for this, I do more on a Wednesday and Saturday than on a Monday due to washing my hair them days haha :)

Flexibility is defo key and I think I need to be more willing to change my routine :)
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did a 30 min HIIT
    Some weightlifting ( i just started this so i do 2 reps of arms 8 times each)
    40 min walk

I work out daily but alternate HIIT with my elliptical machine or another workout like a workout with dumbells.

I walk every other day for now since my legs do a need a break. 😊 I also like to do Pilates if I don’t go on a walk.

I don’t really over think it honestly. If I don’t feel like doing a HIIT no big deal, I’ll find a new workout to try. Don’t want to get on the elliptical? No worries! I’m flexible and if i do the same thing over and over well, I would get bored. I like trying new workouts it keeps things fresh and besides, i get to push myself!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Including warm up sets and post-training warm down, I'd say just over an hour each time.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    5 days a week, 45-55 minutes per workout. M/W/F is full body weights, T/Th is cardio (usually intervals) and core/arms. I stay active on the weekends, but do not go to the gym either day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    20-40min for cardio, 60-75min for lifting usually. Time hasn't changed much, I spend more time warming up and between lifts, but I am quicker to set up and I usually superset at least few exercises at the end.
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. I go 5-6 days a week. 3 of those days is 30 min on elliptical then weights for roughly 45 min.

Other days is kick boxing or yoga both are an HR.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    When I go to a gym, it's usually about an hour and 20 minutes.

An hour in spin class or on the treadmill and 20 minutes or so rowing.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    4 days a week 2-3 hour sessions of powerlifting training. Most of the time is rest periods 4-5minutes for primary and accessory and 2-3 minutes for sup. My warm up is specific to the movement and only takes how as long to load the barbell. So maybe 5minutes total for each exercise for a few sets. I don't waste my time with any special stretches or foam rolling that has nothing to offer towards my goal of lifting.

If your goal is to get better at whatever your training. Then eventually your sessions will need more stimulus to progress. That can mean a longer session to the point you need to add another day so you can recovery.

There are many ways to add stimulus at the correct dosage.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, I've only been going for about two weeks now and I spend about 1 hour per work out three times a week.

How long is your work out? Two hours, five days a week, on average.

Has this been upped or lowered since you started/your goal changed? It has increased considerably since I started competing in powerlifting.

Does it vary depending on the day or your mood? No. My workouts are set by my coach. Do or die! ;)

• googookid
    googookid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    50 mins to an hour alternate the days with cardio and strengths training. That way you wont feel bored going to the gym for long hours. Consistent is the key.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    50-60 minutes, all strength training
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How long is your work out? Has this been upped or lowered since you started/your goal changed?

The only thing I use the gym for is the weight room. How long I'm there depends on what kind of program I'm running which depends on my goals at the time as well as availability.

For the last 3-4 months I've been running a very basic full body program that takes about 30 minutes. I'm moving onto a different program with my trainer starting next week that will be heavy on the squats and deads and have more volume so it will likely be more like 45-60 minutes. Outside of wanting to be a bodybuilder or competitive power lifter, you don't really need any more than 60 minutes. I'll be hitting the weight room 3x per week.

I do my cardio mostly on my non lifting days and it's mostly cycling. The duration of my ride largely depends on what kind of time I have. Most of my weekday rides are 30-45 minutes...weekend rides can be anywhere from 1-4 hours.
  • ANNVQ37
    ANNVQ37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mom-Fri just over an hour a day including 30 mins of cardio on Tuesday and Thursday and 30 minuets core work Mon, Wend, Fri. I also isolate each muscle group a day and do 4 exercises for that muscle for 15 reps. EX:
    Chest days I do bench, incline, decline and flys for sets of 4 and 15 reps, everything I do has to equal 60 and I rotate the muscle group every two weeks, change the order or the exercises and hand positions weekly. Our body’s are “learning machines” and learn ret periods, you must make sure to change the rotation and the day you do the exercises to keep you muscles guess and on its toes 😁.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Has this been upped or lowered since you started/your goal changed? It has increased considerably since I started competing in powerlifting.

Does it vary depending on the day or your mood? No. My workouts are programmed. Do or die! ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

Does it vary depending on the day or your mood? No. My workouts are programmed. Do or die! ;)

Cheater! :laugh:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    An hour at the gym 3 days a week to lift. 1-2 days a week I hike, sometimes for a hour, sometimes for several hours.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

I started out lifting 3 days per week for 1 hour, and cardio the other 2-3 days. For me, it depends on my goals. 3 days a week are great for maintaining. 3 days a week of resistance training is great for maintaining bone density.

You are doing great, keep it up!
  • dcman00000
    dcman00000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gone to the gym for almost 17 years now (on and off).

Typically a well designed routine would last a little over an hour to an hour and a half.

I notice for me near the 2 hour mark I get impatient and want to leave. So to help me stay the course I try to come in under that time.

Obviously things can mess with your pace, waiting for equipment, slacking off that day, maybe you have a new partner to show the ropes too, maybe its a new gym and you have to find all the equipment you normally use. But the point is that once you get into the swing of things about one to one and a half hours seems optimal.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I try to do 3-5 workouts a week (weights or cardio) I am however doing a lot more rope jumping cardio, sometimes before a weight training session at the moment as I really enjoy it.

For weight training I do anywhere from 20-40 mins depending on if I am rushing and the type of workout it is.

- 20 mins for a full body compound routine for example.
    - 40 mins if I am working several muscle groups using super sets.

Cardio is 20-30 mins generally, and that's at full out effort, where by the end I am in a heap on the floor!

You really don't have to spend ages working out, just make sure you are giving it max effort every time and by the end you or your muscles you are working are fatigued! :)

Oh, I should add that I workout at home, so there is no delay in moving between exercies. I get everything I need set up prior to starting and I'm good to go without disruption.