Pedometer and Apple Watch

Options
So of course I have the apple watch 😊. Since it is counting steps already, I’m wondering why some download a pedometer app for their watch? Any ideas....wonder what I’m missing!!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Some people download Pacer to fix the sync issue with Apple Watch and MFP. Basically the watch syncs information to Pacer and then Pacer syncs that information to MFP.

• kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Some people download Pacer to fix the sync issue with Apple Watch and MFP. Basically the watch syncs information to Pacer and then Pacer syncs that information to MFP.

I just did this and it works. I record all my purposeful exercise (swims, bike rides, runs) on my watch, and my Apple Watch passes all of that, plus my steps, along to Pacer, which gives an adjustment to MFP. I did this two days ago. It looks like it’s working just like my Fitbit used to work, but the watch is much more fun.
  • kara_tastic
    kara_tastic Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don’t seem to have a problem with the watch syncing to MFP. That’s why i was wondering what i missing 😊
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don’t seem to have a problem with the watch syncing to MFP. That’s why i was wondering what i missing 😊

The watch does send exercise over, but the adjustment math is off. MFP looks for a full day calorie burn for the math there and it isn’t getting that from Apple. I actually can’t figure out where Apple gets the number it sends over from (it’s not resting or active calories). The problem with this comes when you have a really active day, but none of it was exercise logs. You will see next to no adjustment and the difference between what MFP goal and what you’re total calorie burn tracked by Apple can be 1000+ apart.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options

The watch does send exercise over, but the adjustment math is off. MFP looks for a full day calorie burn for the math there and it isn’t getting that from Apple. I actually can’t figure out where Apple gets the number it sends over from (it’s not resting or active calories). The problem with this comes when you have a really active day, but none of it was exercise logs. You will see next to no adjustment and the difference between what MFP goal and what you’re total calorie burn tracked by Apple can be 1000+ apart.

Right! I had a day with 13,000 steps (I was on my feet most of the day and walked everywhere I went) which synced to MFP as: “13,000 steps - 0 calories.” And I have MFP set to “not very active.” For a day like that, my Fitbit would have given me an adjustment of 500 calories or so. So adding Pacer into the mix helped that start happening again.