Frozen meal prep

Options
zevild
zevild Posts: 1 Member
Looking for some that people have done
I'm aspiring to do some frozen prep meals because I work thirds and if I have something quick to grab if I get up late that taste good it make my life so easy.please help

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot and my standard gift for new parents is a few hours of batch cooking on a weekend afternoon to fill up their freezer with meals.

For myself, whenever I make a dish that freezes well, I will make a quadruple batch (which usually is not a lot of incremental work) and freeze it into single meal portions for the household. My go to dishes to freeze are:

Meatballs (freeze in a tray, then put into ziplock bags once frozen so that they don't stick together)
    Meatloaf
    Bolognese sauce for spaghetti
    Coq au vin
    Dak Dori Tang
    Chicken Cacciatore
    Curry chicken thighs
    Beef rendang
    Dutch split pea soup
    Ma Po Tofu
    Irish Stew (any stew)
    Potato Gratin (needs to be cooked before freezing, otherwise potato starch turns to sugar)
    Lasagna (also vegetable lasagnas)
    Braised Lamb Shanks
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I meal prep for 6 days eating two meals a day. So 12 meals. All cooking is done on the weekend.

I almost always have 1 of those 2 meals being chicken, broccoli, and rice. It is just so cheap and easy to make fit whatever macro/calorie count you want. (plus is very easy to change the flavor profile of with just some spices or an additional ingredient)

Other meals I have done:
    various meat curries (goat/chicken/lamb all froze well enough)
    Burrito bowls (chicken/beef with rice, beans, tomatoes)
    Chilis (both typical beef red chili and white chicken chili)
    Lasagna
    Egg fried rice bowl (basically a chicken, broccoli and rice bowl but with egg fried rice and more Asian style flavor)
    Burgers (freeze the patty, don't freeze the rest)
    Gumbo
    Brats n Eggs ( just like what it sounds like, must be a midwest thing. Great for a fat bomb if you need that)

And probably many many more...

I cook it all on Sunday, leave 2 days in the fridge from the start and freeze the rest. When I take one out of the fridge, one from the freezer gets cycled behind the other one still in the fridge.

I do want to point out that everything I listed freezes well enough to get by, but I wouldn't say that it tastes as good coming out of the freezer as it does coming off the grill. Sacrifices need to be made in order to reach one's goals, though.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Anytime I cook I freeze extra leftovers as a meal so it gives me variety. Pasta, rice, veggies, meats sauces, soup, chili, etc

Cooking seasoned meat and freezing it in weighed portions can be good to microwave and throw in a quick burrito or salad or sandwich, etc

Basically freeze individual portions.

Having some fresh veggies and fruits already weighed and bagged into portions you keep in the fridge helps too.

Making egg "muffins" is a good shortcut too and can have whatever meats or veggies fit your tastes and calories. They freeze and reheat well. I do recommend cooking them in silicone cupcake cups so they can pop right out and into a baggie then into the freezer.
  • sparkle43
    sparkle43 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like your food you Prepand freeze gals. I have never heard of silicone cupcakes so they can pop right out into a baggie to the freezer.HereToLose50 .Scottgreiser you prep for 6 days and two not. I applaud you. Acpgee Excelent Prep Variety and your parents.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I love it! You can easily make meals and also there are many companies making fitness meals for when you are too busy to make your own. If you do a search on fit meal prep you'll find so many sites that give you recipes, as well as companies.