Help!! Unable to achieve fitbit calorie goal

Options
2»

Replies

• BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    thanos5 wrote: »
    Hmm this makes me wonder if my Fitbit isn't way overestimating my calorie burn. I routinely burn 2000 cals with 10 000 steps, 20k steps like poster above has me at 2500 cals burned. I'm short (5'2") but I am heavier at 142 lbs.

2000 a day on 10k steps? wow. i only burned 700ish on 11k steps this morning.

Yeah not sure but I am losing weight as predicted by my deficit so I guess I'm lucky? It may lower by quite a bit when I reach my goal weight.

This was Monday which included a slow 5km jog:
    vex5df05vdby.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hmm this makes me wonder if my Fitbit isn't way overestimating my calorie burn. I routinely burn 2000 cals with 10 000 steps, 20k steps like poster above has me at 2500 cals burned. I'm short (5'2") but I am heavier at 142 lbs.

The burn your FitBit is giving you isn't just for the steps...it's your total energy expenditure, including your BMR, etc.

I burn around 2800-3000 calories per day...very little of that is my actual exercise...most of that is my BMR and my normal day to day type of activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well I have no idea how anyone can burn 2,000 calories! I can’t even burn 1,000 and I’m always going!

The burn shown on a FitBit is total energy expenditure, not just energy expenditure from steps or exercise. You burn a *kitten* ton of calories merely existing.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The burn your FitBit is giving you isn't just for the steps...it's your total energy expenditure, including your BMR, etc.

I burn around 2800-3000 calories per day...very little of that is my actual exercise...most of that is my BMR and my normal day to day type of activity.

Yes I knew this so I guess my NEAT/BMR/heart rate may just generally be higher than others who have posted in this thread.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It’s hard to imagine that some of us burn so few calories. I’m 5’1”, female, 140 lbs, over 50, and I have a sedentary job. It takes a lot of effort to burn 2000 calories (including bmr) for someone with my stats. But my stats also put me in the overweight BMI. I have 10 lbs left to be a healthy BMI and I’m losing at a rate of 0.2 lbs every 7-10 days. I always assumed the calorie burn goal on Fitbit is higher for taller/heavier stats.
  • sumayaiphone
    sumayaiphone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have given up on that
    As you can see i was active for 92 mins, did 13000 steps still did not meet my 2120 calories goal 😂
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes I knew this so I guess my NEAT/BMR/heart rate may just generally be higher than others who have posted in this thread.

No - Those other posters are misreading what's being said and either don't realize they do burn around that probably in total - or think you are talking about MFP adjustment perhaps.

Looking at the pictures in this thread is pretty easy to tell what is being talked about - the problem is do people realize what that means.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have given up on that
    As you can see i was active for 92 mins, did 13000 steps still did not meet my 2120 calories goal 😂

Small and light - yep.

Might want to change that goal (hold down on the tile) to even 2000. Or if you have eating level you'd like to reach, add the deficit if still attempting weight loss (hopefully around 250 at this point) and attempt that.