Fitness routine for weightloss

Dayniiie
Dayniiie Posts: 11 Member
Hi there. I have just started back into losing weight. I am 79kgs, female, 26, and 5'3 tall.

I, as alot, hate cardio. I do go for a 1.5hr walk once a week and then a 1.5hr hill walk aswell.
For 5 days a week I plan to go to the gym with some warm up cardio, then weight training (I have next to no muscle)

I just wonder if my efforts seem good in your eyes, or if there is a better way/advice to lose weight without cardio (as I know i'll give up)

Below I have put my gym routine. I alternate the two each day. 5 days a week with rest weekend days.

Treadmill 20mins Incline Walk
Mountain Climbers Max Time x3
Inner Thigh Openers 10/10 x 3
Prone Hold Max Time
Leg Extensions 15 . 12 . 10
Seated Leg Curls 15 . 12 . 10
Prone Hold Max Time
Leg Press 15 . 12 . 10
Wall Sit Max Time x3
Prone Hold Max Time
Swiss Ball Squats 12 x 3
Bar Squats 12 x 3
Prone Hold Max Time
Crunched Leg Cycles 10/10 x 3
Step Ups 12 x 3

Workout 2

Treadmill 20mins Interval Walk/Run
Leg Flutters 50 x 3
Russian Twist 10/10 x 3
Prone Hold Max Time
Shoulder Press 15 . 12 . 10
Seated Row 15 . 12 . 10
Prone Hold Max Time
U/hand Lat Pulldown 15 . 12 . 10
Bicep Push 15 . 12 . 10
Prone Hold Max Time
Lat Pulldown 15 . 12 . 10
Chest Press 15 . 12 . 10
Prone Hold Max Time
Leg Raise 12 x 3
Cruches 12 x 3

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited May 2019
    What you do in the kitchen is far more important for weight loss, weight loss happens as a result of a calorie deficit. As the saying goes - "You can't out run a bad diet".

Set up you stats in MFP and select a rate of loss of 1-1.5lbs per week, eat to your calorie goal, logging accurately. Ensure you're getting adequate Protein to help maintain muscle. MFP doesn't factor in any intentional exercise when calculating your goal, there are many people here who have lost weight without doing any intentional exercise at all.

Calorie Control for Weight Loss
    Macro split for Satiety/Nutrition
    Cardio Exercise for Heart Health
    Strength Training for Muscle Maintenance/Improving Bone Density

Cardio can be as simple as a brisk walk outside - find something you enjoy doing, it doesn't have to be in the gym - rollerskating, dancing, hiking, rowing, etc.

• Dayniiie
    What you do in the kitchen is far more important for weight loss, weight loss happens as a result of a calorie deficit. As the saying goes - "You can't out run a bad diet".

Set up you stats in MFP and select a rate of loss of 1-1.5lbs per week, eat to your calorie goal, logging accurately. Ensure you're getting adequate Protein to help maintain muscle. MFP doesn't factor in any intentional exercise when calculating your goal, there are many people here who have lost weight without doing any intentional exercise at all.

Cardio can be as simple as a brisk walk outside - find something you enjoy doing, it doesn't have to be in the gym - rollerskating, dancing, hiking, rowing, etc.

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I am logging all foods and have a fitbit so all work within budget then eat back a percentage of my exercise cals from that
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited May 2019
    Dayniiie wrote: »

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I am logging all foods and have a fitbit so all work within budget then eat back a percentage of my exercise cals from that

That's great, just pointing out that weight loss doesn't require exercise. So as long as you're eating to your calorie goal and logging accurately you'll lose weight with or without it. What rate of loss are you set to?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Be aware to that the Fitbit adjustment does appear in the MFP Exercise diary - it is not exercise calories.

You could be very active compared to MFP activity level and do no workouts - and have big adjustment.
    You could have hard workout, sleep rest the day - and have tiny adjustment.

That adjustment is merely MFP correcting itself - usually taking a % isn't needed because that's a difference issue.
    Just to be aware in case you are losing a big amount of big adjustments.
  • Dayniiie
    Will I lose it faster if I am gaining muscle through weight training? Losing more fat not weight as such? And as for that, MFP WILL SAY 1500 CAL - 980 FOOD + 350 FITBIT BURNT - 870 FOOD LEFT. Is that correct to go by?
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Will I lose it faster if I am gaining muscle through weight training? Losing more fat not weight as such? And as for that, MFP WILL SAY 1500 CAL - 980 FOOD + 350 FITBIT BURNT - 870 FOOD LEFT. Is that correct to go by?

You will likely lose weight quicker if you are working out rather than simply just eating better, of course since those efforts in the gym will be burning more calories than you otherwise would. How many of those calories burned (and those devices are not accurate) you decide to add to your eating allowance is your choice. Some people won't add them to their allowance, while others would add half and some would add them all.

Fat will be lost quicker than muscle is gained, so you like be losing for a while first before the scales will stop moving down. Would always advise weight training though to work on all the muscles in the body to at least begin to tone them up some.

You need to find a routine which you actually enjoy and will stick to, and that can be varied after a while, as ultimately we all get bored of the same old thing.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Not really - muscle doesn't burn that much more than fat when at rest. And as commented above, so much slower to gain than fat lost.
    Hence the often unrecognized importance of maintaining the muscle you got rather than risk it on faster weight loss attempt.

Losing faster is not always better besides that loss of muscle - in fact several negatives with it. Ask the over 50% that fail to maintain a dieted weight goal.

That Fitbit adjustment is exercise AND daily activity above what you told MFP to estimate with - like if you said Sedentary but really Active during day outside of exercise - you get adjustment so MFP is correcting itself.

Yes that is correct to go by.

But some tweaks to improve it.
    Depending on how much lifting you are doing - Fitbit using HR-based calorie burn will be inflated for the estimate - best to log on Fitbit as Weights from the database.

Have you ever confirmed the distance Fitbit sees you walking at avg daily pace?
    Not grocery store shuffle, not exercise level pace - so maybe 2mph or slower at 1/2 mile or longer - did Fitbit get the distance right?
    Because extra daily calories is based on distance from steps, and stride length can be adjusted for best estimate.