Jiu Jitsu Lovers

Options
Was wondering if any of the members are Jiu Jitsu Lovers?

Its my main source of exercise so would really love to connect with more in this community.

Give me a Shout Out

OSS >:)0d5xo5rx92hl.jpg

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've been doing judo for the past year. I train 3 days a week, sometimes 4. The BJJ coach comes over every other week and we cross train.
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I finally started jits in November and absolutely love it. I shoot for 5-6 times per week.
  • suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I've been doing judo for the past year. I train 3 days a week, sometimes 4. The BJJ coach comes over every other week and we cross train.

Thats so awesome, I would love to do a few judo classes and trying to find a dojo near me, 4 times a week, your a beast
  • swirlybee
    Options
    In my wildest dreams, I would've never thought I would enjoy it this much, but I do. I'm even thinking about maybe trying MMA. Our dojo is split into two sections - one for judo and the other one for MMA. There are two ladies that work out in the MMA side. They're beasts.

I'm the only female in my class and no match for the bigger guys but I still enjoy it. It's a good work out.

My coach/sensei is a 61-year old woman. She's a beast and my inspiration.

Are there many women in your dojo @suzanne6094 ?
  • erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Blue belt here. Haven't been at it in a few years though.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Blue belt here. Haven't been at it in a few years though.

#goals
  • beloved0922
    beloved0922 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One of my high school friends has been doing Jiu-Jitsu for the last 9 years. I went and saw her at her gym about 7 years ago and thought OMG I could never do that!

Fast forward to today - I've been training BJJ for 2 years now and I love it! My dojo is self-defense based which i love. We have a women's self-defense classes which are a great opening for women to get introduced to martial arts. And our kajukenbo classes bridge the gaps from the mats to the streets as we learn striking and blocking and weapons defense.

I am so in love wirh my gym! It is such a gift to me. I am in better and better shape and feeling more and more confident that I can take care of myself should the need arise.

I just laugh now when I think back to how shocked I was when I saw her on the mats with her partner. My first exposure to BJJ. What a mental transformation!

• suzanne6094
    Options
    I love hearing all these BJJ journeys, it looks so intimidating but man when you start, you get totally hook.

I am still loving it....

Lets see some pics....

I started with team Estrategia for the first year and then due to time schedules clashing moved to team Resilience Jiu Jitsu, also cause they have a kids class which my daughter attends and which I assist in. In South Africa the sport is still growing but what I love is the fellowship towards others in the sport.

I am currently White Belt 3 stripes... but not in a rush and belt ranks are not really important to me.

Its about the journey not the destination and I LOVE stepping on the mat.

OSSz7n8f0pxa4ww.jpg
    euhhrb9npxdd.jpg
  • swirlybee
    Options
    No pics here.

Currently an orange belt but will be testing for my green belt next month.

We've been working on arm bars and chokes. Lots of little adjustments involved.
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not sharing pics.

My husband is a purple belt. My kids have been doing it for years too. I started only in November. Had to take three months off earlier this year due to broken elbow and chipped shoulder. Now nearly all healed and back at it 4-5 times a week and sometimes twice a day.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Oss, it about the journey not the destination, I find the biggest lesson I learned from jits is not to look at the problem, but look at the solution.

4 - 5 times a week, thats hectic... I can only manage 3 sessions a week !!

Glad you are back at it SSpeakes.

• Tatami_Matt_1
    Tatami_Matt_1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Purple belt - been off the mats for about 4 months for shoulder reconstruction; probably another 4 months or so until I can get back on the mats. The absence is kilillllllliiing me!
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My gym offers bjj, mma, muay Thai, and weapons. I tried bjj but have space issues so stick to muay Thai and get my partner to teach me bjj (he's blue belt). I'd love to get into mma fighting but focusing on the Muay Thai. Bjj is great self defense that's why I get my partner to teach me it. My daughter (5) has started kids classes which is a kid friendly mma.
  • RobotChick_OwO
    RobotChick_OwO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a TaeKwonDo practitioner, however I've been out of the dojang for a while due to me recovering from surgery. I gained a bit of pudge since then due to me mostly laying around and snacking.
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options
    There's a group on mfp called "martial arts - fighting fit"
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Purple belt - been off the mats for about 4 months for shoulder reconstruction; probably another 4 months or so until I can get back on the mats. The absence is kilillllllliiing me!

Oss, respect for that Purple Belt, know you must have worked hard to achieve that , Can just imagine, just been sick for a week and bit and could not survive the absence of not being on the mat, I am trying my best not to injure myself but these things happen. I really enjoy assisting with the kids.

Found The Ultimate Fighter reality series and started with season 1 and 12, its amazing LOVE it and the grappling is really good, got me all fired up to train more and really work on mental toughness.

Sorry about your injuries but just know Jits is about the journey not the destination and you will be back again!

• suzanne6094
    Options
    I'm a TaeKwonDo practitioner, however I've been out of the dojang for a while due to me recovering from surgery. I gained a bit of pudge since then due to me mostly laying around and snacking.

would not mind learning a bit of TaeKwonDo althou I love the grappling game, sorry to hear about your injury, just keep active otherwise it is going to be so hard to go back when recovered.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    My gym offers bjj, mma, muay Thai, and weapons. I tried bjj but have space issues so stick to muay Thai and get my partner to teach me bjj (he's blue belt). I'd love to get into mma fighting but focusing on the Muay Thai. Bjj is great self defense that's why I get my partner to teach me it. My daughter (5) has started kids classes which is a kid friendly mma.

Oss, you look great, must be so awesome to have a partner that also trains MMA, my husband does powerlifting but its not the same would love to be able to grapple at home.... I had huge space issues when I started but know that if someone is going to attack me would be a guy so best I get use to being comfortable in uncomfortable positions, well done on his blue belt, that is my next step.

Muay Thai is tough!! Keep grinding and thanks for the message
  • Tatami_Matt_1
    Tatami_Matt_1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Oss, respect for that Purple Belt, know you must have worked hard to achieve that , Can just imagine, just been sick for a week and bit and could not survive the absence of not being on the mat, I am trying my best not to injure myself but these things happen. I really enjoy assisting with the kids.

Found The Ultimate Fighter reality series and started with season 1 and 12, its amazing LOVE it and the grappling is really good, got me all fired up to train more and really work on mental toughness.

Sorry about your injuries but just know Jits is about the journey not the destination and you will be back again!

100% agree about the journey. I’ve been doing it long enough that it’s part of who I am now and I will definitely be back on the mats. JJ is my social time, the little bit of exercise I get (not nearly enough...), “guy time”, fuels my competiveness, etc.

Love TUF and MMA. Funny story - to me at least. I’m still a relative newbie at my current gym - which has two UFC fighters (actual, contracted fighters) and many aspiring, local MMA fighters. Probably my first week there and rolling, I matched up with one (who was a brown belt at the time) and didn’t know who he was. The instant he got a grip on my gi, I “knew” this is not a “normal” brown belt. Very humbling (in a good way). After the fact, I learned who he was/what he did for a living. He’s a great dude, fantastic teacher, and is now a black belt. Those guys/gals are on a whole different level.
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options

Oss, you look great, must be so awesome to have a partner that also trains MMA, my husband does powerlifting but its not the same would love to be able to grapple at home.... I had huge space issues when I started but know that if someone is going to attack me would be a guy so best I get use to being comfortable in uncomfortable positions, well done on his blue belt, that is my next step.

Muay Thai is tough!! Keep grinding and thanks for the message

I was fine for a few classes of bjj until I got paired with a guy that I didn't trust not to put on locks too fast (I. E not give me time to tap) and he also stunk of weed (hate that smell). But I'm not one to insult people by being picky about partners.
    It's great having my partner into the sport too we can spar etc. Only downside is sharing gym time. We both can't train for fights at same time so have to take turns as we do not want to neglect the kids lol.