Weight Watchers. VS MFP

Options
So I have been doing weight watchers and I have lost around 11kgs but found that I wasn't really using it fully and seem to be a waste of money each month. So have moved to this site. Must say finding it hard that I can't eat as much veggies or FRUIT as I like... as you can in weight watchers. Was probably over doing it with the fruit now I think about it!

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Do you find that you are losing more weight on here or with weight watchers? I always wondered how fruit was no points in WW because some are high in calories.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am and ex-WW gal as well. It is weird tracking things here and not having 'free' fruits and veggies. I did, however, go through one of my old WW points plus days and calculate the calories and I was still right in an acceptable range, for me, here. I think it's a pretty good switch. Welcome!!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I "go" to WW.......but am not doing the program. I'm using this site. Since I've been using this site I've been doing so much better with the weight loss. You can eat all teh fruit/veggies you want on WW.....but they have calories.....this works better for me. I still attend cuz of my friends and the tips you get...and I use that as my official weigh in each week. you'll be happy when you see the pounds fall off by this program. Glad you're here. welcome
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Welcome..... I have have done ww, nutrisystems, and this is by far the cheapest as I use my own food. I have also been able to see areas where I needed to change... example sodium and sugar. Fruit is loaded with sodium but I eat an apple once or twice a day. Good luck and welcome!
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I just started weight watchers thru work and so far I don't like it. The points make no sense to me and I feel like I can't eat anything. I have been doing MFP for 3 months and LOVE it; I have lost almost 20 lbs with it. I only started the WW because it was free - I don't think I'm going to continue though. I can't handle the points - too confusing.
  • Tjkramer95
    Options
    WW is simply too much food. Their regular points program worked. The Points Plus and the newest one with the free fruit is simply way too much food. I never got close to eating all my points and actually gained weight. MFP rocks. Plus, you don't have to put up with any of those know-it-all instructors. I only ever found one who was encouraging rather than judmental and a little crazy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did the old WW with my wife. She had the calculator everything figured out. I never knew what I was eating. I just knew I was under my ww points, and she would throw cheese on everything to try to get me up to my numbers. That or eat cookies to get there.
    extra points, a few points for working out. fiber.

MFP calories, makes sense to me, cal in cal out. BAM! it works.
  • JuliePete
    Options
    I have done WW a couple of times and loved it. The difference for me is that it is a lot of work, and now that I have a husband and 2 children...it is just not feesible. I have only been part of the MFP family for a couple of days, but I love it already. I am already making more conscience decisions about what food I put on my plate. And I am being pleasantly surprised about portion sizes.
  • Shater92
    Shater92 Posts: 18
    Options
    I too have done WW, I always found that it was difficult to move thru the site. I just started this and already seem to like it way better then I ever liked WW. Welcome can't wait to see the results!!:drinker:
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing the old WW points program on my own, but using this site to track what I eat and what's in it. I've found it to be a very helpful tool and the people here are much more varied than those at the local WW meetings.
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    I have done both and find this much easier and more motivating. Though I had a good response with the WW program this has more to offer and is free. Even though ww tedlls you to do the exercise it does not assign a value to it. Here your workouts have a value and to me it makes it more motivating having that value. I also find this much more personal then going to a meeting and sitting in a room just to get up and leave 30 minutes later. Here you have a select group of your chosing to keep you motivated and on track!. I like this a lot better, much better. Add me as a friend if you wish. If not I wish you all the success in the world on your health and fittness.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Bump up your sugar maximum if you trust yourself to use it on the sugar in fruit and veggies!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP is free! Hooray for that, right?

I did WW for just over a year, and did pretty well on it. I really did learn some valuable tools for dealing with meal planning, but that was mostly just from tracking my food. The free fruit and veg switch was where WW stopped working for me. Those items make up a majority of my diet, and a free for all really wasn't working.

I'm doing just as well on MFP as I was on WW, and I have $20 more a month in my pocket.

The only thing I ever missed after cancelling my WW membership (online only) were the recipes! They had some great ones on the website. I found a FANTASTIC replacement though, seriously - check it out www.skinnytaste.com. That girl rocks my world.
  • mandyjohns
    Options
    I'm no expert, but don't let MFP stop your eating of fruits and vegetables. I've been doing a lot of reading lately. I always ate for pleasure. I love food. I always felt if I'm counting calories, why bother with fruits and veggies when I can use the calories for something else that I prefer. There's a book my trianer wanted me to get called "Eat to live". It really has been eye opening. I'm 36 and for some reason only now the light bulb has been lit. The whole purpose we eat is for nutrition. It can really be a bummer to think, I can't eat for pleasure. You still can of course... just after you get all the nutrients your body needs.
    It was recommended that I watch a documentary.. and I'm not a documentary type person. It's called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". It's currently on Netflix instant play and most video on demand carriers have it. I had to buy the DVD after I watched it. It is just so eye opening. At least for me!
    I hardly ever ate fruits and have hated most vegetables. But I realized I had to make a change to not only eat them, but eat a great deal of them. I bought a juicer and I juice them. The fruits are great! I try to hide some of the vegetable taste with more fruit. I'm starting to get the knack. Anyways, this has really helped me.
    I just hope you won't toss the fruits and veggies to the side, now that with calorie counting, they're not "freebies". :happy:
  • bendy15
    bendy15 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes I miss the recipes too!! i find I am eating more... or maybe different things so it feels like more on here. Do you need to eat your full calories each day? I'm guessing so. I joined here about a month ago but have only really just started using it this week. Seems to be good... fingers crossed for some good weight loss!
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well, I too have done weight watchers, I started with the at work program and the old points plan (momentum). Was very successful lost almost 75 lbs. While weight watchers has its negatives I find it quite motivating. The new plan is different and confusing when you first start it. Fruit and veggies are NOT FREE. they are ZERO points. there is a HUGE difference. The focus on the points plus program is portion control. while I could have a pound of grapes for zero points, I would not want to do that because I would be to full and no I wouldn't lose weight eating that much. A portion of grapes is a cup and that equals zero points. There is allot of science put into these plans, I don't claim to understand it 100% but, it works. I like MFP for the information and the food tracking ability. You have to think when using MFP just about as much as you do WW. Not thinking about the food we ate is what put us where we are after all. Find what works and go for it.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I listened to an internal medicine doctor this week speak at a business leader's conference regarding healthy choices.
    His goal was to communicate to business leaders that a successful career is linked to a healthy lifestyle.

He said that statistically there are almost zero incidents of recorded pancreatic cancer in persons who consume 3 servings of varied fruits each day. In his cases of patients with diabetes and other obesity related issues, none (not ONE) ate fruit on a regular basis.

In case you don't know about the pancreas, it releases hormones that process sugars in the blood. The key to success in all things is moderation. The key to successful health is in part due to variation. Keep your fruits but in appropriate portions. Your body will function better. :)