Low carb

djwife03
djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
My husband is going to be having weight loss surgery. He has to be on a low carb/no carb diet a few weeks prior. To support him I am doing this with him. So just looking for snack ideas food must haves....would like a variety. Obviously no starches/grains, etc. thanks in advance!

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    How low carb are you going?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Roasted pumpkin seeds seasoned with a little soy sauce, onion powder and chilli powder. I was so addicted to those back when I did Atkins...
  • djwife03
    According to the dr, NO carb for the hubs. I workout regularly so I’m concerned about going full no carb for myself, because I know you need carbs for workouts, but then I’ve heard opposite. The paperwork says no milk, grains, potatoes, rice, yogurt, fruit. Which I LOVE Fruit! So that will be hard.

• zeejane4
    edited May 2019
    djwife03 wrote: »
    According to the dr, NO carb for the hubs. I workout regularly so I’m concerned about going full no carb for myself, because I know you need carbs for workouts, but then I’ve heard opposite. The paperwork says no milk, grains, potatoes, rice, yogurt, fruit. Which I LOVE Fruit! So that will be hard.

Cheese is a good lower carb snack (string cheese etc). Nuts and seeds, veggies with low carb dip/dressing. Berries are pretty low carb so I'd be tempted to break the rules with that one :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I don't know, man.

Love only goes so far. For me "support" stops at what I eat in relation to what you/husband eats. :lol:

NO carbs? You know there are carbs in vegetables, right?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Other than meat and fish, there aren't too many snacks available that have zero carbs based on your list.
    Nuts and seeds have carbs, eggs have carbs, even many bacon products contain carbs (from the curing process). All fruits and vegetables have carbs almost all processed foods do to.

I have found some faux pepperoni sticks that have no carbs if that helps. It's my go to snack on the keto diet http://freybe.com/products/snack-foods/pepperoni-turkey-chicken-2/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019

Surely vegetables are okay? So that wouldn't be no carb. You also get carbs in nuts and seeds.

For no carb you'd need to do only meat, cheese, and eggs, plus oil and butter. (Eggs have so few carbs for them to be probably not counted for these purposes, so hard boiled egg as a snack is a possible.)

Out of curiosity, why so many restrictions, including no fruit? Fast weight loss pre surgery? Or does the surgery create a problem with fiber? (In which case, maybe no veg, dunno.)

Do you need snacks? Often super low carb is so filling people wouldn't have a desire to snack between meals (I am not low carb and don't snack as is, but I very often hear that as a reason people find low carb easy).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

If he is allowed vegetables, he's not NO carb. Maybe tell them he is going to log on myfitnesspal and ask what his max percentage of carbs should be. It's hard for us to give good advice unless we know exactly what they want him to do.

Low carb can technically mean anything under 40% carbs, which is a heck of a lot easier adjustment than 0% carbs.
  • djwife03
    Apologies! LOW CARB. Yes he can have unlimited veggies!! There’s are a few on the list to stay away from. So yes I do know that veggies do have carbs. He is having the gastric sleeve done. This has been a long process and certainly not something we’ve taken lightly. I just don’t want to be making separate meals! I want to be as supportive as I can. So yes I could do berries. As far as being in the same boat.....yes I want to lose some weight, but his story is certainly different than mine. I’m just trying to be supportive. This has been a long road and there’s a lot of feelings and emotions so I’m just trying to be encouraging and be there for him. Thanks for all the input!
  • zeejane4
    edited May 2019
    Apologies! LOW CARB. Yes he can have unlimited veggies!! There’s are a few on the list to stay away from. So yes I do know that veggies do have carbs. He is having the gastric sleeve done. This has been a long process and certainly not something we’ve taken lightly. I just don’t want to be making separate meals! I want to be as supportive as I can. So yes I could do berries. As far as being in the same boat.....yes I want to lose some weight, but his story is certainly different than mine. I’m just trying to be supportive. This has been a long road and there’s a lot of feelings and emotions so I’m just trying to be encouraging and be there for him. Thanks for all the input!

Ok, that gives you a lot more foods to play with :) I do a lot of stirfry type dishes-steak (cubed), chicken, shrimp etc, mixed with sauteed veggies and mushrooms, with a bit of A-1 sauce to tie it all together. Salmon is another easy one to prepare and goes well with California blend veggies (steamers bags), or asparagus.

Salads are also great-I buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shred it and then use it in large salads, along with hard boiled eggs, bacon, lots of leafy greens and other veggies, olives etc. One chicken is enough for several large, meal sized salads.

Cottage cheese is a nice lower carb side, as is red and orange bell peppers with low carb dip.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

I feel fuller on slightly less carbs and slightly more protein, so my OH and I eat the same meals, but in different proportions of macros. It's amazing how much pasta he can eat!

In your case, if pasta is a trigger food for your husband, the kind thing to do would be indeed to not eat it in front of him. But if fruit is not a trigger food for him, I see no reason for you to not eat your normal fruit. Or you could indeed choose low carb fruit like berries. Strawberries are going to be coming into season here soon - yum! Properly ripened strawberries have a surprising amount of sweetness for very little carbs.

On a side note, I just watched the season 7 Cillas' Story episode from My 600 Pound Life. I couldn't help but notice that Cillas changed his eating habits and lost @ 350 pounds, while it looked to me that his fiance did not change anything about how she ate and gained some weight over the course of the year. So if you do want to lose weight, you have a built in opportunity to do it :)
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Beef jerky is a good snack, almonds, string cheese, veggies. I make a low carb burrito bowl using cauli rice. If you season it right you never would know. Cauliflower rice has become a staple for me. Egg rowl in a bowl in another good low carb meal.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member

I follow a low carb diet (Keto) and my family does not. I refuse to be a short order cook, so we all eat the same meal, I just don't eat the carb-laden side dishes. For example, last night I made a Chuck Roast, I served it with roasted veggies and then Mashed Potatoes for the family and Mashed Cauliflower for me. If we're having Spaghetti, I'll make them regular pasta and zucchini noodles for myself. If I roast a chicken and serve it with rice and veggies, I just don't eat the rice. And so on and so forth.

For snacks, I like to do nuts, beef jerky, cheese, lunchmeat rolls, hard boiled eggs, seaweed snacks, etc. I do also really like the Epic Bars which are made from different protein sources, but you do have to check the labels because some are higher in carbs than others.
  • djwife03
    thank you everyone! I've been eating a lot of meats, cheese, eggs(in many forms!), pistachios/almonds, cottage cheese. I made "fluff"- cottage cheese, lite whipped topping, and sugar free jello. I tried cauliflower rice- very good! I have also had raspberries. I found some whole milk organic plain greek yogurt that is low carb. My husband said, "you're only doing half the diet". well, I don't want to do any diet! And for his pre-surgery he couldn't have nuts or dairy, but I did and I am. I have not had bread of any kind, or pasta, or milk. I haven't had any other fruit other than raspberries. so I don't think I'm doing half bad here.
    Ive never heard of Epic bars!
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    thank you everyone! I've been eating a lot of meats, cheese, eggs(in many forms!), pistachios/almonds, cottage cheese. I made "fluff"- cottage cheese, lite whipped topping, and sugar free jello. I tried cauliflower rice- very good! I have also had raspberries. I found some whole milk organic plain greek yogurt that is low carb. My husband said, "you're only doing half the diet". well, I don't want to do any diet! And for his pre-surgery he couldn't have nuts or dairy, but I did and I am. I have not had bread of any kind, or pasta, or milk. I haven't had any other fruit other than raspberries. so I don't think I'm doing half bad here.
    Ive never heard of Epic bars!

Glad it is going well!