Sprint triathlon

I’m thinking of registering for a sprint triathlon at the end of August! It’s a 400 yard pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run. I’d love some advice on whether or not this is something I should be attempting!

I completed a half marathon (my first) earlier this month. Since then I’ve kept up the running (about 15-18 miles/week). I’m a complete beginner on the bike and swimming, though. I mean, I can ride a bike, but have never used a bike for more than getting from point A to point B. Technique-wise, I have no knowledge. By way of illustration, I went out and rode 12 miles the other day, and it took me 55 minutes.

In terms of swimming, I’ve attended one swim clinic and was told I looked “pretty good” on my freestyle. My kids all swim so I know roughly what it’s supposed to look like... though I haven’t tried exactly this, think I could do the 400 yards consecutively, very slowly.

I’ve seen some beginner training programs out there but most last 12+ weeks. I’m going to be out of the country (no bike or pool, but I can run) from June 4-July 6. Upon return, I’ll have just 7 weeks to train.

If my goal is just to complete the thing without totally embarrassing myself, does that seem achievable? 7 weeks of training (beginning from a “fit” level, with lots of running miles behind me, and basic knowledge of swimming and cycling)?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance very for any advice.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Sure, why not? Are you trying to win the triathlon, or just complete it in a reasonable time? It certainly seems you are in good enough shape. It is not like you are training for an iron man. Focus on biking and swimming from now until you leave the country. And if you look for it, there will probably be places to rent a bike or swim while you are gone.

If you can already bike 12 miles and run a half marathon, I don't think a 400m will will be that difficult for you. You could probably do the triathlon tomorrow if you wanted to.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Sure, why not? Are you trying to win the triathlon, or just complete it in a reasonable time? It certainly seems you are in good enough shape. It is not like you are training for an iron man. Focus on biking and swimming from now until you leave the country. And if you look for it, there will probably be places to rent a bike or swim while you are gone.

If you can already bike 12 miles and run a half marathon, I don't think a 400m will will be that difficult for you. You could probably do the triathlon tomorrow if you wanted to.

Haha, definitely not trying to win it! I think looking at training programs and such was just wigging me out a bit. Not even understanding how to read the workouts lol. But I think you’re right that I could complete those distances right now if needed.

I’ll be in Senegal (West Africa) and definitely won’t have access to any equipment or facilities, but I’ll be sure to stay active. Thanks for the advice!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited May 2019
    For the vast majority of triathletes swimming is the hardest part and it's always suggested to focus on your weakest sport.

With the swim being in a pool you don't need to worry about skills like sighting (one thing I love about Ironman branded races is that they have huge buoys usually about 100m apart so a klutz like me doesn't wander too far off course).

I'd also suggest watching some videos (or even better if you know some triathletes - get some one on one instruction) on setting up in the transition and then rehearse both T1 and T2 (if you're not riding with cleats your life just got a bit simpler too with no shoe change at T2)

I should warn you, sprints are a gateway race.....soon you're thinking that an Olympic might be fun, then a half-iron (but seeing as you've done a half-marathon you already know the risk! :smiley: )
  • emilysusana

I should warn you, sprints are a gateway race.....soon you're thinking that an Olympic might be fun, then a half-iron (but seeing as you've done a half-marathon you already know the risk! :smiley: )

I hope it is a gateway race (I’m not seeing it as a lifetime achievement). I’ll have just turned 40 when I do the race... I figure I’ve just competed a half marathon, and if I can complete a triathlon this summer, then I can spend my 40s learning to do them right and set some new, fun goals.

Thanks for the tips!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I’m thinking of registering for a sprint triathlon at the end of August! It’s a 400 yard pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run. I’d love some advice on whether or not this is something I should be attempting!

I completed a half marathon (my first) earlier this month. Since then I’ve kept up the running (about 15-18 miles/week). I’m a complete beginner on the bike and swimming, though. I mean, I can ride a bike, but have never used a bike for more than getting from point A to point B. Technique-wise, I have no knowledge. By way of illustration, I went out and rode 12 miles the other day, and it took me 55 minutes.

In terms of swimming, I’ve attended one swim clinic and was told I looked “pretty good” on my freestyle. My kids all swim so I know roughly what it’s supposed to look like... though I haven’t tried exactly this, think I could do the 400 yards consecutively, very slowly.

I’ve seen some beginner training programs out there but most last 12+ weeks. I’m going to be out of the country (no bike or pool, but I can run) from June 4-July 6. Upon return, I’ll have just 7 weeks to train.

If my goal is just to complete the thing without totally embarrassing myself, does that seem achievable? 7 weeks of training (beginning from a “fit” level, with lots of running miles behind me, and basic knowledge of swimming and cycling)?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance very for any advice.

That's not bad. 10 mph is what you'd expect from some random person getting plopped on a bike. You're already ahead of the game.

You don't have to try to get on the podium to enjoy the experience.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Sprint triathlons are a perfect way to try out the sport and all types of folks will be in the race with lots of first-timers. With a pool swim you can re-collect at the end of each length yourself if needed so it's the least intimidating type of swim. Most pool swim starts are self-seeded, meaning that you are asked to line up in order of fast to slow, and then the swimmers go off every 5 seconds or so and zig-zag back and forth across each lane (lane 1-2, 2-3, etc.). So just seed yourself toward the back of the line. As far as training goes, if you can complete the run and bike distances you already have plenty of fitness. Read up, find a plan online and follow it to give you confidence, practice the T2 (Bike to Run) transition as most people have difficulty getting their legs to work differently. And relax and enjoy the experience! I started around your age and am still at it 20+ years later!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited May 2019
    Since you can already swim, there should be no problem. You don't need special skills on the bike (you may get more into biking if you fall in love with triathlon), just ride more and find out if there are going to be hills. I also agree with doing some workouts where you run a couple of miles after biking so you get the feel of it. Swimming is the hardest part for many, but having it in the pool should really help for a first one. I love open water swimming but am terrible at sighting and have done multiple tris where I think I ended up swimming 50% more than I would have if I could just stay on course!

Lots of people have about the experience you will when doing their first tri. I jumped into my first (an oly) having only bike trained by riding to and from work, and hadn't realized that the race (in the 'burbs) would actually be somewhat hilly, which having only ridden in pancake flat Chicago I was completely unprepared for! It is always nice to be able to finish with your strongest sport, however. ;-)
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 639 Member
    I do plenty of cycling, so here's a smidge of advice: visit Global Cycling Network on youtube. Or just go to their website at globalcyclingnetwork.com. They have TONS of training techniques and stuff, but mostly what I'd focus on is their advice on how to set up your bike.

If you get your saddle to the right height, I'm willing to bet you'll see a good speed improvement, and it'll lessen pain in your bum significantly. Those 'long' distances you did before will seem short as bejeezus once you have your bike set up correctly. From there, then simply enjoy the riding!
  • emilysusana
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Sprint triathlons are a perfect way to try out the sport and all types of folks will be in the race with lots of first-timers. With a pool swim you can re-collect at the end of each length yourself if needed so it's the least intimidating type of swim. Most pool swim starts are self-seeded, meaning that you are asked to line up in order of fast to slow, and then the swimmers go off every 5 seconds or so and zig-zag back and forth across each lane (lane 1-2, 2-3, etc.). So just seed yourself toward the back of the line. As far as training goes, if you can complete the run and bike distances you already have plenty of fitness. Read up, find a plan online and follow it to give you confidence, practice the T2 (Bike to Run) transition as most people have difficulty getting their legs to work differently. And relax and enjoy the experience! I started around your age and am still at it 20+ years later!

If you saw the “woo” that was up for a bit, it was a mistake. I just looked back over the posts and realized I’d inadvertently wooed where I’d meant to like.

Thanks for the tips, dmkoenig!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2019
    This should be very doable. I've done one tri sprint and I was on a relay team in another before that,at 64. A pool swim is great for your first tri. If you can swim, you can get to 400 yds but some practice is advisable. You can do any stroke to get through the distance.

On the bike, 12 miles in 55 minutes which you did is a fine pace. I recommend you do some "brick workouts" meaning that you bike, then immediately run. This does not need to be long distances. Maybe 5-10 miles bike and 1-2 mile run. Start at the low end and work up. It's not about endurance, but adjustment. Your legs will feel rather weird and wobbly going from bike to run, and this could be especially distressing to you as a seasoned runner. Bricks are recommended to get your legs used to making the transition.

The purpose of your first tri is not to win, place, or set records, but to get used to the process and see if you like it. Your first one WILL be a PR. If you want to continue, then you can focus on speed and/or longer distances.

It looks like you are female, in which case I recommend the Women for Tri facebook page. Keep us posted!
  • markindia5135
    markindia5135 Posts: 30 Member
    I am 39 and participated in my first and second sprint triathlon in March and April of ‘19.I wasn’t in the shape you are in and I was able to complete both of them. And absolutely enjoyed it. Based on what you mentioned above it sounds very doable for you especially if your goal is to finish (which was my goal).

My favorite part of the race was the excitement of everyone before the race. It was electric and a lot of fun.

They are a gateway race because I’m currently training for an Olympic distance triathlon.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I’d love some advice on whether or not this is something I should be attempting....

It looks like you are well positioned to complete the race and have fun doing so.

You've received lots of great tips above. I'll add mine, and that is: Be sure to smile for the race photo when you cross the finish line.

Looking forward to reading your race report.