Foot cramps

Options
alpear
alpear Posts: 19 Member
Hello everyone, For the past few years I have mostly worked out bare footed- usually dance or dance type classes. They have been high energy and lots of jumping and I haven’t had any issues . I’ve always preferred to not wear shoes and I am often bare footed. Recently I started fitness hiit type classes and I wear runners and my feet cramp often doing jumping such as jumping jacks and squat jumps. I can jump without shoes with no issues. I have purchased three different pairs of runners over the past few months and they always feel great in the store but once I work out in them I get terrible cramps.
I’ve done massage therapy and I roll my feet and use yoga toes. Any suggestions that don’t include me banning shoes forever?

Replies

• dizzydreamer244
    dizzydreamer244 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try eating more bananas/you might be missing something in your diet or getting shoes that have really good arch support! I know for me if I don’t have good arch support in a shoe then my foot is cramping the whole day
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try a "barefoot shoe" with a very thin sole, like Merrell Vapor.. or even water shoes.

Do you have high arches?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I wear barefoot shoes. I can't with normal people shoes. Vibrams. I have Altras but they stopped making the barefoot ones from Altra, so my next pair will be Vibram 5 fingers.

Oh, and by the way, on the very odd occasion I do HIIT, I still wear my barefoot shoes and it's fine. I can do uphill sprints on the treadmill just fine. I can box jump just fine, I can do everything just fine barefoot. I only wear the shoes because the gym won't allow us to be barefoot. Otherwise I would be. For everything.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sizing up? Wider toe box? What part of your foot is cramping?

I wonder if you could train yourself not to tense your feet while wearing shoes, using maybe balance exercises and focusing on how your toes grip the ground.
  • alpear
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I wear barefoot shoes. I can't with normal people shoes. Vibrams. I have Altras but they stopped making the barefoot ones from Altra, so my next pair will be Vibram 5 fingers.

Oh, and by the way, on the very odd occasion I do HIIT, I still wear my barefoot shoes and it's fine. I can do uphill sprints on the treadmill just fine. I can box jump just fine, I can do everything just fine barefoot. I only wear the shoes because the gym won't allow us to be barefoot. Otherwise I would be. For everything.

This is the only reason I wear shoes too! Thanks for suggestion
  • alpear
    Options

Have you tried sizing up? Wider toe box? What part of your foot is cramping?

I wonder if you could train yourself not to tense your feet while wearing shoes, using maybe balance exercises and focusing on how your toes grip the ground.

The whole bottom of my foot from my heel right to my toes
  • alpear
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try a "barefoot shoe" with a very thin sole, like Merrell Vapor.. or even water shoes.

Do you have high arches?

I don’t think they are high but my heels are narrow and my toes are really wide if that makes sense
  • erekstrusinski1989
    erekstrusinski1989 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You might have overpronation or something. That's my problem and i need shoes designed to fix it or my feet hurt like crazy