Energy Help!

Options
Hi! Does anyone have any tips for boosting energy while running?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    how far/long are you running? at what point is energy an issue?
    how long have you been running that sorta distance/time?
  • ahnease
    ahnease Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually run for 1-1.5 hours 3x/week. I haven't been running very long (maybe 3-4 months). I was doing fine in the energy department until this Alabama heat/humidity kicked into high gear.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For me: coffee and more food. Wake up earlier to beat the heat? I always take awhile to adjust to summer running.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    ahnease wrote: »
    I usually run for 1-1.5 hours 3x/week. I haven't been running very long (maybe 3-4 months). I was doing fine in the energy department until this Alabama heat/humidity kicked into high gear.

That seems quite a long time to be running when you're so new to it.
    Maybe dial a couple runs back a little. Even when I'm training for a marathon only one of my runs is over an hour.

Otherwise, have a banana half hour before you go out. Coffee for the caffeine (be aware it can also cause toilet issues), or as I cant drink coffee I have little caffeine powder shots that I take before and during long runs
  • ahnease
    Options
    Thanks @emilysusana .. I will pay closer attention to how I'm fueling up beforehand, and give extra coffee a shot too!
  • ahnease
    Options
    @firef1y72 I should have clarified, I'm not 100% new to it .. I'm just picking it back up, and it has been a while (couple of years or so). Maybe that sounds long because I'm not very fast? lol, I usually get about 5 miles in per hour. Thanks for the fueling tips (and warnings!)
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hydrating enough before, during and after your run. Especially critical in heat and humidity. Eating food beforehand is strictly optional depending on your own preferences. For runs over an hour you may also want to consider an electrolyte supplement like Nuun.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    With heat and humidity you need to slow down. Run when it is cooler. Rest in the shade if you need to. Drink to thirst. Depending on how much you sweat, you may need salt tabs or at least electrolytes in your water (i.e. Nuun or Fizzz.)
  • ahnease
    Options
    @dmkoenig & @spiriteagle99 .. thanks to you both for the input, I will definitely take those tips!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    ahnease wrote: »
    @firef1y72 I should have clarified, I'm not 100% new to it .. I'm just picking it back up, and it has been a while (couple of years or so). Maybe that sounds long because I'm not very fast? lol, I usually get about 5 miles in per hour. Thanks for the fueling tips (and warnings!)

Then you are new to it.

Time on your feet is still time on your feet. It sounds like you are over training. I would recommend some sort of structured plan so you don't end up burned out and injured.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Heat and humidity are energy sappers and require you to slow down and maybe not run as long.

You haven't run in a few years? If so, start slow and shorter. Are you running constantly or doing a run/walk session? It's best to start with a more-walk/less-run interval and slowly move into a more-run/less-walk interval. It takes time, though.

You may be running too long and too hard for your training level.
  • ahnease
    Options
    @firefly72 and @dewd2 .. right, it has been a year or two since I ran consistently (only running here or there in the time since), but I have been running consistently since mid March of this year. I am definitely walking some when I need to, but mostly run/jogging (about a 10 min run/1 min walk ratio). I decided to wake up extra early and go for a 5AM run this past Saturday and felt so much better! I guess the high temp/humidity was more of a factor than I realized. Thanks all for the tips!

Also, I realized a pretty confusing typo from one of my earlier posts - I'm running 0.5-1.0 hours 3x/week.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Use an energy gel which contains caffeine?

There’s loads of brands out there eg Gu, High5, Torq, SIS, PowerBar, if you take it at 40mins should perk you up for the second half of a 1.5hr run.