Logging ground beef

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/mcdonalds/quarter-pounder-patty

Multiply 220 by 4 for a pound of fresh never frozen ground beef. This source does come is free growth hormones but it is still is my preferred fast food Keto meal with a lot of mustard and regular coffee that is 25% half and half milk so three senior cups is 360 calories with a lot of protein. I am trying to hit 100+ grams of protein daily so this will give me about 50% in one meal. The mustard will add many types of plants to my diet.

This will be the calories after cooking the 100% beef patties. Salt and pepper is added in the kitchen.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will ask at the farm next time we go. I do drain our burger once cooked also.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Multiply 220 by 4 for a pound of fresh never frozen ground beef. This source does come is free growth hormones but it is still is my preferred fast food Keto meal with a lot of mustard and regular coffee that is 25% half and half milk so three senior cups is 360 calories with a lot of protein. I am trying to hit 100+ grams of protein daily so this will give me about 50% in one meal. The mustard will add many types of plants to my diet.

This will be the calories after cooking the 100% beef patties. Salt and pepper is added in the kitchen.

Mustard is just mustard seed with vinegar, sugar, salt and some spices. Certainly not a meaningful source of "many types of plants" in anyone's diet, even if you drown your burgers in it. ;)

And to the OP: If I'm uncertain as to the fat percentage of my ground beef, I log it as 80% to err on the side of caution.

Sounds like you may need to change your mustard source if what you listed is factual.

https://organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/mustard.html

I don't know where you live, but in the U.S. the leafy green veg is referred to as mustard greens, not mustard, which typically means prepared mustard (ground mustard seed, vinegar, salt, spices) or sometimes just ground mustard seed. In any case, how does eating mustard greens add "many typest of plants" to your diet?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I never heard of anyone rinsing cooked beef before. That's a new one.

USDA does a good job of categorizing ground beef, broiled, crumbles, raw, etc. So, if the fat is in the dish like chili or casserole, you have to go with raw. If you use the fat in the pan, like for gravy, same answer. If it is grilled broiled or otherwise removed from the rendered fat like on paper towels, etc., use the cooked numbers.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Mustard is just mustard seed with vinegar, sugar, salt and some spices. Certainly not a meaningful source of "many types of plants" in anyone's diet, even if you drown your burgers in it. ;)

And to the OP: If I'm uncertain as to the fat percentage of my ground beef, I log it as 80% to err on the side of caution.

Sounds like you may need to change your mustard source if what you listed is factual.

The mustard you're getting at McDonald's is the generic yellow mustard with the ingredients I listed above. So, no, definitely NOT something that is adding "many types of plants" to your diet. It's mustard - a condiment - not a large leafy green salad. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options

I don't know where you live, but in the U.S. the leafy green veg is referred to as mustard greens, not mustard, which typically means prepared mustard (ground mustard seed, vinegar, salt, spices) or sometimes just ground mustard seed. In any case, how does eating mustard greens add "many typest of plants" to your diet?

This.

Mustard greens and the yellow mustard that comes in those little packets at McD's are not the same thing. Mustard greens are the leaves, commonly eaten sauteed - a vegetable.

Mustard comes from the ground seeds of the mustard plant - nothing green about them. Claiming that mustard is a beneficial source of many veggies makes about as much sense as saying that about ketchup - even if someone drowns their fries in it. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited May 2019
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I usually figure that by the time I’ve browned, drained, and rinsed my meat, the 90% lean entry is close enough.

Are you saying that you rinse your meat after browning/draining? That is a technique that I am not familiar with. Are you trying to rinse more fat off?

It gets extra fat off and keeps whatever you put it on from getting greasy. I don’t digest fat very well at all, so any extra fat I can eliminate makes my stomach much happier.

Wouldn't draining the ground beef on some paper towel and then patting it dry accomplish the same thing as actually washing it?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    No it's not the same just using paper towels,when I say rinse I mean for recipes cuz I just buy whatever is on sale so sometimes it's super greasy! I'd never however rinse a hamburger patty
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

If you're claiming that yellow mustard counts as "many types of vegetables", do you also count grasping at straws as "vigorous exercise"?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have always written my own ad copy by reading as much as I can find. Below is a good example of copy that I read and use often.

zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2017/06/24/zero-carb-ordering-from-mcdonalds/
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    A pound of ground beef, previously frozen or not, is 454 grams. And, it is about 2.5 calories per gram, give or take.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Mince is one of my fav go-to dinners, as I like chilli and tacos and spag bolg. But omgosh the calories make me want to cry!

I live in NZ, so all our beef is grass fed, it's still high calorie. We don't get turkey mince here (I've never seen it in shops) so I can't substitute even chicken mince can be tricky to find.

If you bulk it out with tinned lentils (the brown ones) it makes the mince go further and the recipe (per portion) come down in calories. You dont notice much difference in flavour