Best bike saddle for women

Options
megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
My husband has completed revamped my bike so all I am looking for now is a new saddle. My old saddle is awful. So, tell me what you have and why you like it. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike shop close by? Your best bet is to visit one and check out your options, before you go watch this video for measuring your "sit bone" width" as it varies from person to person.

watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjAhttps://youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

A good shop will have a variety of saddles so it shouldn't bee too hard to find one that is comfortable to ride for hours at a time. Once you've picked your saddle it's also important that it's set up properly on your bike (height, tilt, fore&aft position)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Terry makes saddles specifically for women, they're very popular. Fabric makes wonderful saddles too.

Most good bike shops have done kind of demo program. This is such a personal thing.
  • megamom
    Options
    My husband helped me figure out my sit bone and we are going to our local bike shot to look at what they offer. They let you try them out to see what works. I love our bike shop.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    This is very much an individual thing that isn't talked about enough. Especially among people who have vulvas (not just people who identify as women). Your best bet is to find a bike shop with a demo program (ask around - if you were in Portland I could give you names of at least three shops). General tips: don't automatically think that more padding is better. I personally prefer saddles with minimal padding. Also, the tilt of the saddle (on your seat post) be a factor in comfort.

I personally love my Books B17 Imperial but I know a lot of people do not like any of their saddles. I went for the Brooks after months of trial and error and then a local bike store having that Brooks on sale for something like half off one weekend. I had nothing to lose and it was, clearly, the right decision for me. Reasons why I like it? I can get through a century without being in much if any saddle related pain and I can ride on the trainer inside without much pain which is kind of shocking.

Tagging @Machka9 on this as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on your anatomy, bike, and riding style. I'm not sure what "revamping" your bike means, but I assume parts replacement/upgrades, but possibly not a professional anatomical fit. Take your bike into the local bike shop and have them check the fit. That has to be right before trying saddles.

Be sure to ask about the return policy. REI for example has a 1 year return policy. Some shops have 0-30 days. The way a saddle feels on a trainer or for a short ride may be completely different from a half day or full day ride, so test the saddle under the conditions where you plan to do most of your riding. Some people get lucky on the first try, others go through a dozen saddles or more to get one that works "for them". Good luck!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have a Brooks B17 Men's Standard on almost all my bicycles. Love that saddle!

I have the Women's B17 on my mtn bike and the tandem because I prefer the ever-so-slight increase in width and shorter nose on those bicycles.

And for some reason, a cheap old saddle seems to work best on my trainer bicycle.

A green one on my titanium bicycle ...

c5qqbo0zreip.png
  • megamom
    Options
    m9rc8osiyxd4.jpg My husband put this seat on for me to try, it was one we used to have he gave to our son who never used it. I am going to try it out and see how it works, if it every stops storming.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I personally love my Books B17 Imperial but I know a lot of people do not like any of their saddles.

I don't know why, but I would have guessed you'd be on a fancy fizik or something.
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I personally love my Books B17 Imperial but I know a lot of people do not like any of their saddles.

I don't know why, but I would have guessed you'd be on a fancy fizik or something.

It's totally all about what my nether regions like, or rather, really dislike. I've never ridden on a Fizik but I do own a Selle Italia Diva Gel Superflow. It sits unused because as much as I wanted to like it, I really didn't. The next time I get a new bike I'll probably demo a ton of saddles depending on what city I'm in (this will probably be when I go to grad school).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    megamom wrote: »
    m9rc8osiyxd4.jpg My husband put this seat on for me to try, it was one we used to have he gave to our son who never used it. I am going to try it out and see how it works, if it every stops storming.

I had no luck with cut out saddles, but each person is different ... it might be good for you.
  • megamom
    Options
    We have been raining non stop and expect flooding again which means all our bike trails will be under water soon again. This is getting very old. I want to ride my bike, not clean up wet basements.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Selle Italia Diva saddle - even after 100+ kms I don't get numb 'bits'. My boyfriend liked my saddle so much he bought his own for his bike!
  • aokoye
    edited May 2019
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    I LOVE my Selle Italia Diva saddle - even after 100+ kms I don't get numb 'bits'. My boyfriend liked my saddle so much he bought his own for his bike!

And this is why saddles are a very individual choice. That saddle + me + a metric century = pain
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
  • megamom
    Options
    I did 12 miles the other day and no soreness, the saddle so far is very comfortable and the new grips my husband put on worked like a charm, no hands going numb. It's going to be a nice riding season. Course we had to drive 15 miles away to find places to ride since we are flooded again.
  • megamom
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »

Very interesting article and informative.