High Protien Breakfast

Options
Good Morning! I was reading that a high protien breakfast is a good idea if your trying to lose weight. I checked on the calories of one large egg and what i saw varied a lot. You cup of eggs is showing to be pretty high in calories. What works for you guys? Should I just order some RX Bars?

Replies

• Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes for me with some Fage yogurt in it, berries, unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Love Bowmarnution Brand (frosted cookie and blueberry cheesecake)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    A cup of eggs is a lot of eggs. Maybe start with two large and see how you feel? I'm fine with just an apple or yogurt so it can very from person to person.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Bacon. High protein. Want more protein? More eggs. More bacon.
  • eaglenum4
    eaglenum4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes for me with some Fage yogurt in it, berries, unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Love Bowmarnution Brand (frosted cookie and blueberry cheesecake)

OOO that sounds pretty good! When groceries were cheaper in Austin (we just moved to DC and things are a bit pricier) I would make eggs with tomatoes and cactus every morning. I started working out about a month ago and gained 10 lbs in a week!! So I dropped the milk products and have lost 4 lbs this week with out them but everything I read mentioned that I need the portein in the AM. I’ll do some research on protien shakes! TY
  • eaglenum4
    Options
    Eggs. Bacon. High protein. Want more protein? More eggs. More bacon.

Roger that!
  • eaglenum4
    Options
    A cup of eggs is a lot of eggs. Maybe start with two large and see how you feel? I'm fine with just an apple or yogurt so it can very from person to person.

I see what you mean. Should I look at getting a carton of egg whites instead of whole eggs?
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    In my experience, high protein and fat breakfasts keep me fuller for longer.

One of my favourite breakfasts is porridge (just oats and semi skim milk) with honey, raspberries and toasted seeds. But my tummy is usually rumbling after a couple of hours which I attribute to it being so high in carbs and sugar and relatively low in everything else.

I’ve started having more savoury breakfasts which are either an omelette (2 eggs, red onion, mushroom, peppers, tomato, cheese) or a fried breakfast (1 scrambled egg, 2 rashers bacon, 1 slice whole grain toast, 1/2 tin of baked beans). The savoury breakfasts are higher in fat, calories and protein but keep me waaaay fuller for much longer.
  • Sharod_BeastFit
    Sharod_BeastFit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well I would say turkey bacon? Or a grill skinless chicken breast along with grits or whole wheat waffles. That has high protein. Me personally I skip the eggs. It contains high cholesterol. But egg whites is good. Depends on the individual tho and what their body needs. I notice in most foods when it comes to nutrition that what is good in food can also be bad in other areas within that food such as sodium.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I decided to have a high(er) protein breakfast when I was losing, because I also thought it would keep me full longer, and because it hit my personal morning preferences. I typically ate a 2 egg omelet with veg (I just found an example that had 100 g broccoli, 50 g spinach, and 35 g mushrooms), a little cheese (I used .5 oz feta), and then to bump the protein would have cottage cheese or greek yogurt on the side (I logged 90 g 1% cottage cheese). That comes to 313 cal, 32 g protein, as well as 13.5 g carbs, 15 g fat, and a nice complement of micros.

I would change up the veg, but largely swore by that for quite some time, and still recommend something like that as an enjoyable breakfast if you like eggs (protein can be bumped even higher with egg whites, but I typically didn't do that).

However, I've recently started experimenting with different breakfasts, including some with less protein (vegetables are a staple for me for breakfast, however). This includes my omelet with a lower protein side like fruit or avocado, savory oats (with only one egg, plus veg), and my current smoothie obsession. While it's easy to make a smoothie with protein #s like my omelet meal (30+), I am currently choosing not to consume protein powder and so my smoothies tend to come in more like 20-25 g protein, and I've made them with less. Interestingly to me, and contrary to my prior assumption, it makes no difference to whether I stay satisfied until lunch (I eat breakfast around 6 or 6:30 and lunch at 12 or 1 and nothing in-between), so I have to assume what works for me for breakfast is more volume based or that fiber can substitute for protein or something.

People are individual, however, so experiment to see what you like.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt or plain yogurt with a little protein powder, with some apple or banana. Egg whites with low-fat cheese, spinach, and low cal wrap is also good.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like soup for breakfast. Lentil, chicken & vegetables, bean and vegetables.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    2 duck eggs on spelt toast with a cup of tea is my go to brekkie - high satiate score (for me).
  • serinaster
    serinaster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I am currently choosing not to consume protein powder and so my smoothies tend to come in more like 20-25 g protein, and I've made them with less. Interestingly to me, and contrary to my prior assumption, it makes no difference to whether I stay satisfied until lunch (I eat breakfast around 6 or 6:30 and lunch at 12 or 1 and nothing in-between), so I have to assume what works for me for breakfast is more volume based or that fiber can substitute for protein or something.

I'm curious if there is any reason you are choosing not to take protein powder?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    serinaster wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I am currently choosing not to consume protein powder and so my smoothies tend to come in more like 20-25 g protein, and I've made them with less. Interestingly to me, and contrary to my prior assumption, it makes no difference to whether I stay satisfied until lunch (I eat breakfast around 6 or 6:30 and lunch at 12 or 1 and nothing in-between), so I have to assume what works for me for breakfast is more volume based or that fiber can substitute for protein or something.

I'm curious if there is any reason you are choosing not to take protein powder?

Just a personal thing.
  • Smacfit_
    Smacfit_ Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    eaglenum4 wrote: »

I see what you mean. Should I look at getting a carton of egg whites instead of whole eggs?

U could use 1 or 2 whole eggs with a few egg whites in a scramble or omlette. the whites are pure protien but I like the yolks for flavour plus they have fat to help keep u full.
  • asfvbbbhbhh
    asfvbbbhbhh Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just made a “cheesecake” breakfast- it holds together v well, is airy and, when eaten warm is almost reminicient of semolina pudding. I usually eat 1/3 - 1/2 of the recipe if i have it for breakfast.

The whole cake is roughly 480kcal and contains 50g protein.

- 250g of curd
    i got the most indulgent-tasting results with 20% fat but 0.2% works just fine

- 4 medium eggs

- 2tbsp Whole Grain Flour
    feel free to experiment with this, i have used starch or pulverised oats before for similar results

- 2 tbsp of sugar, or an artificial equivalent

- Salt and Vanilla to taste
    this gives the cheesecake it’s “cakey” flavour so i wouldn’t skimp on the vanilla. If you want you could add lemon rind at this stage, it really does elevate the taste.

Mix with you tool of choice until smooth and pour into your preferred mold (ramekins, cake forms of all sizes, cupcake forms etc.) and bake at 175 C* for roughly 15 min or until firm.
  • harrycharming885
    harrycharming885 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorite high-protein breakfasts, perfectly balanced with carbs and healthy fats, to fill you up and keep you going all morning long.

Eggs are incredibly nutritious and high in protein. Replacing a grain-based breakfast with eggs has been shown to help you eat fewer calories for the next 36 hours and lose more weight and body fat.

Here are a few examples of high-protein breakfasts that can help you lose weight:
    Scrambled eggs: with veggies, fried in coconut oil or olive oil.
    An omelet: with cottage cheese and spinach (my personal favorite).
    Stir-fried tofu: with kale and dairy-free cheese.
    Greek yogurt: with wheat germ, seeds, and berries.
    A shake: one scoop of whey protein, a banana, frozen berries, and almond milk.