What scale do you have

tjsims8
tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
The digital scale I bought will tell me a different weight every time I step on.. what’s a good one?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,589 Member
    How big a variation?

I would prefer your current scale as opposed to one that shows fake consistency to make the user happy!
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    The new digital scales, I had a problem with if you don,t deviate under 2 lbs it will read last time you weighed. I looked it up online, what I do is weigh myself with 3 lb weights, then step off and
    Back on and it gives my true weight. Not sure why this happens. But I returned a pair of scales because I thought they were defective,until I looked online
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I feel like more information is needed here.
    • Do you step on, step off, step right back on and get a wildly different reading? If so, yes that's an issue. Make sure you aren't using the scale on a carpet if this is the case.
    • Do you step on, step off, step right back on and get a reading that varies by few tenths of a pound? If so, that's not a big deal.
    • Do you weigh yourself, get a reading, then get a completely different reading later in the day? If so, that's normal; weight will fluctuate up and down by a few pounds throughout the day as we eat, drink, and use the bathroom.
    • Do you weigh yourself daily and get a different reading every day, sometimes higher than the previous few days? If so, that's normal. Weight loss is not linear and your weight will fluctuate daily for a multitude of reasons.
  • ultradreamz
    ultradreamz Posts: 9 Member
    Weight Gurus Appsync Body Compostion Smart Scale. Great precision!
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    I step on with weights, then step off wait until it resets then step on without weights , gives me my weight readings.not sure why these scales are like that , but check online about digital scales,
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have a WW digital scale. It gives me a different weight every day because my weight does fluctuate every day. If you feel the reading is incorrect, you can always check it with a dumbbell.
  • TamaraLoe
    TamaraLoe Posts: 7 Member
    We have an Aria by Fitbit, and it syncs to our Fitbit app. I love it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    If it's showing you slight variations, that's probably more accurate, because all scales gave small margin of errors.

I had a scale that used to the do the exact opposite. Unless your weight was wildly different, it would give you the exact same weight if you stepped on it within a close period of time. So if you weighed yourself, went to the bathroom, and tried again, it was always the same. I'd have to stand on it with one foot to get a small reading, so it cleared the memory, and then it would give me a new reading.
  • sparkle43
    sparkle43 Posts: 19 Member
    I have digital scale and it is a pain. I guess you know I did not. Scales have batteries. Duh me. I used to dislike the Drs scales. They were always 5 pounds more then my scale. Not anymore. My scales is 2 pounds up to the Drs. So I like the Drs. Ya! Are there the normal scales anymore Guys and Gals?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Weight Gurus Appsync Body Compostion Smart Scale. Great precision!
    +1 this scale is cheap, attractive and reliable. And, it plays well with MFP.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://healthometer.com/body-scales-and-accessories/health-o-meter-body-fat-monitoring-scale/BFM081DQ1-63.html

This is the set I bought back in 2011 and I still use them twice each morning. I like the BF, BMI and hydration but seldom check those features for years now but they were good teaching tools early on. I think they still have a version with the same features but they may look different.

Never had a weight memory issue because I weight twice each morning and get expected drop of two pounds each day. Now I have found when they or my wrist BP cuff get flakey the batteries need to be replaced and long before Low Battery warning appears.
  • TMZ777
    TMZ777 Posts: 7 Member
    I use the old fashioned manual scale. The Circle kind... I got fancy in March and bought a Nokia digital scale. Everytime I got on it my weight was different. I sent it back and kept using my old fashion reliable manual scale 🤦🏽‍♀️🥰
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    https://healthometer.com/body-scales-and-accessories/health-o-meter-body-fat-monitoring-scale/BFM081DQ1-63.html

This is the set I bought back in 2011 and I still use them twice each morning. I like the BF, BMI and hydration but seldom check those features for years now but they were good teaching tools early on. I think they still have a version with the same features but they may look different.

Never had a weight memory issue because I weight twice each morning and get expected drop of two pounds each day. Now I have found when they or my wrist BP cuff get flakey the batteries need to be replaced and long before Low Battery warning appears.

Each week or each day?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Each week or each day?

The 2 pound different is daily. One is before and one is after the first trip to the bathroom or the horse barn. :) It is how I track my hydration success or failure daily before my first drink of water each morning.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Each week or each day?

The 2 pound different is daily. One is before and one is after the first trip to the bathroom or the horse barn. :) It is how I track my hydration success or failure daily before my first drink of water each morning.

Ah ok, that makes sense. One of the likely logical reasons for weighing multiple times a day as well as a good example of fluctuations within a small period of time ;)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I have a Fitbit Aria which does the job. If I had to replace them I wouldn't spend anywhere near as much on a pair of bathroom scales as the WiFi connectivity, the profiles and all the other metrics turned out to be either unnecessary, gimmicky or completely useless.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    A local pharmacy was running a promotion in 2013 when I started MFP...very basic no frills digital scales for $3.88 or something ridiculously low like that.

I bought two. One of them is still in its box. I've used mine with no issues and the battery only seems to run out every year or two. I agree with using it on a flat surface, not carpeting. I weigh daily.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    A cheap $15 CVS Pharmacy digital scale. Seems pretty accurate and reliable, and does not seem to "remember" previous weight.

I can step on/off multiple times in a session, and it's generally within .2lbs. Then I go poop and it tells me I lost 1.2lbs.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I got my digital scale at target, it's the biggest loser brand. It has been working really well for me for over 2 years.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    I love my Renpho scale! Syncs to my phone Fitbit app automatically, which syncs to myfitnesspal so I don't have to ever type in my weight.