What is better? Starting calorie count lower or higher?

Options
perezlau
perezlau Posts: 35 Member
What is better?
Starting at a lower caloric intake of about 1200 or a little higher? Will starting too low lower the probability of keeping the diet for x amount of time or will it make you rebound harder and cause someone to bing more than at a lesser calorie deficit?

Is it equally stressful on the body? Or does the body just register an over all deficit in Calories and you feel equally week or hungry after x amount of time?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    In general I am a supporter of reasonable calorie deficits vs aggressive calorie deficits for most people, except for those with a lot of excess weight to lose.

Going at a slower rate of loss has a lot of positive benefits. You feel fuller, it's more sustainable, and you have less of a risk of side effects due to rapid weight loss/undereating.

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Someone here says, "Whoever eats the most and loses, wins." Or something like that.

I'm a fan of eating more (barring any medical need to lose quicker). I think eating more allows for better calorie adherance, better long-term adherance, and gives us a better opportunity to learn those skills that will allow us to not get fat again. Plus eating more, at least for me, keeps me happier. Who wants to feel hungry all the time?

And obviously if a person is active or very active calories are needed to fuel that activity. Too low calories won't be super helpful to a person who is very active.
  • perezlau
    perezlau Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    whatever plan allows you to keep at it for the longest. biggest issue with aiming super low and going fast is many end up stopping a month (or more or less) because it's impossible to maintain. Weight loss is a marathon so best to pick a plan you can keep for a long time without feeling like you are "white knuckling it" ever single day.

1200 is also needlessly low for many. how did you get that number?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is not WHERE to start, the important thing is to START. Where you are now is very important in deciding where to start. Being flexible and learning as you go is key.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree that it really depends.

This site recommends that everyone start with the Goal of, "Lose 1 pound per week." I think that's super wise. If things go well, you lose one pound per week and feel good while doing it.

If weight loss is too fast, adjust. If it's too slow, check your food logging and exercise. If you feel lethargic, tired, sleepy, irritable, depressed, eat more. It's a balancing act, and I agree that s/he who eats the most while still losing wins.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is to lose weight and keep it off permanently, and you believe you have the patience to not give up if you don't see drastic results quickly, then the best calorie intake for you is the highest possible calorie intake you can eat on a daily basis that has you consistently losing weight week to week.