Beginner runner

Options

Replies

• lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @emmamcgarity thanks for tagging me but I don’t think I ever got any notice. Or I don’t know where to look!! Just figuring this community board out. Maybe you could try again? Thanks so much for thinking of me and sorry for the delayed response I was in a rut. But clawing my way out now!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    lybarni wrote: »
    @emmamcgarity thanks for tagging me but I don’t think I ever got any notice. Or I don’t know where to look!! Just figuring this community board out. Maybe you could try again? Thanks so much for thinking of me and sorry for the delayed response I was in a rut. But clawing my way out now!

No worries we all have ruts. I hope you are feeling better
  • lybarni
    Options
    I am!! I realize I’m my own worse enemy with the negative thoughts. So I just put them away!
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k but it advanced too fast. I just do my own thing.

I started run 1 min, walk 1.5 min. For 20 mins.

Then when I felt able i just added 30 secs to the run. So now I am at run 2 mins/walk 1.5 mins for 20 mins.

I am very slow! But I like it, and can stay steady with it, so I figure that's all that matters.

Just find what you like and do what you can!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Never apologize, don't just like my advice, so it
    My two goals is this : burn 500 calories using HRM and increase by 10 seconds
    I went from 1.13 miles to 2.05 miles.
    I went from 24 min to 36 min
    I went from 2.min to 4.30 min
    Small goals = BIG results
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about getting back into running in a few months. But YouTuber Jordan Shrinks just posted a beginning running video on her channel
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    @laceygaywilson who hoo!! For you 9 days too
    Late but better now than never! You’re an inspiration that maybe I can do this after all.

If I can anyone can!! I started running at 205lbs!! Now I'm 160!! It gets easier and easier!! Don't give up!!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @laceygaywilson I’m in no way giving up no matter how many times I have to do Week 1 or 2 over!! I’m looking forward to running my first 5k in the fall! I’m my biggest motivator and cheerleader lol!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @bionicpuffy I’ve never heard that name before. I’ll have to check it out!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @Commander_Keen I like your advice. I also like the 10 second increases as compared ton30 second increases!! And your right small goals reap huge rewards!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @its_cleo that’s what I like about the From Fat To Finish Line program. It’s not advancing me too quickly. Only adding running time by smaller increments so they are much more attainable. Which equals success in my book!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @emmamcgarity I’m feeling much better and still motivated!! Though it was 4 days of no exercise I still managed to walk the last 3 days of the week. Today I restart week 2 of the program with lots of positive vibes!! Thanks for asking!!
  • laceygaywilson
    Options
    @laceygaywilson I’m in no way giving up no matter how many times I have to do Week 1 or 2 over!! I’m looking forward to running my first 5k in the fall! I’m my biggest motivator and cheerleader lol!!

Oooooo we should look into a 5k together!!! I dunno where you live!! I'm in Texas!! I'm willing to road trip for a 5k!! I haven't done one yet and I wanna!!! No one around here will do it with me!!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @laceygaywilson well I’m in Pennsylvania! I would love it!! I have no one to run with me either! I’m focusing on a race in October. I have to be ready by then don’t you think????
  • laceygaywilson
    Options
    @laceygaywilson well I’m in Pennsylvania! I would love it!! I have no one to run with me either! I’m focusing on a race in October. I have to be ready by then don’t you think????

You will be ready!!! Oh yeah!!! I'll plan my first race for October too!! We can do em at the same time and we can cheer each other on till then!! Maybe one of these days we can road trip and do it together!!!
  • ultradreamz
    ultradreamz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pasadena Pacers have a pre-conditioning program that is time-based, rather than distance-based. You increase how long you run (vs walk) each week: https://www.runpacers.org/pasadena/training-programs/pre-conditioners/
  • lybarni
    Options
    @laceygaywilson yay!! Sounds like a plan!!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    @ultradreamz thanks I’ll check it out!
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just started running myself. I was getting frustrated because I just couldn't do it. I would get so winded. Then I heard about slow jogging. I started with one minute jogging, one minute walking both at 3 mph on a treadmill. I was able to do this for AN HOUR!!! I am increasing my jogging time in five second increments with keeping the one minute walking. I am up to 1:15 jogging time. Pretty soon I am going to jump to ten second increases. I am loving it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2b2khySLE
  • lybarni
    Options
    @liz0269 that’s awesome!! I guess that’s basically what I’m doing. Though the program I’m doing has me increase by 30 seconds each week. I may try increasing by 10 seconds like you’re doing now. May be much easier until my legs get stronger.