Need advice from another new mom

Options
I just had my second child 4 months ago. I'm exclusively nursing my baby girl. I have around 15 pounds to lose so I feel comfortable in my own skin. How the heck am I suppose to start obsessing over and moderating my calories right now?!! I feel starving ALL the time! And I have a special demand on my body - if I drastically reduce my calories I might jeopardize the milk supply.

I just want some advice from some other mom's who are going through or have gone through this scenario.

Should I NOT count calories right now and start focusing on losing the weight in a few months? (I really need to fit into those jeans :)

Replies

• feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes. Don't worry about counting calories or losing weight until you're done nursing. Just focus on making healthy choices and getting some rest when you can.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't diet until I was done nursing.
  • srk143
    srk143 Posts: 27
    Options
    what I would do is cut calories very slowly...First time i went on a diet (around 1400 calories) my milk supply went down drastically...It was very hard to bring it back up....priority right now is the baby sooo maybe start exercising more that way you dont have to sacrifice calories....now i am in no way an expert because i still have a lot to loose..i gained too much weight during my pregnancy.....but I made it to 1 year breastfeeding and is in the process of weaning so i am quite proud of that :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't diet while breastfeeding. However, this might be a great time (although possibly difficult if you are sleep deprived...) to start making other life changes, like walking the baby outside every day or getting a jogging stroller and running. I am not sure if you exercise now or not, just assuming, but adding exercise would be a good way to tone your body and be healthy without having to diet or cut back on calories.
  • angel_s_lady
    Options
    I've got 2 kids and looking to have another... and I'm not qualified in any way to answer that question medically. But, I think if I were in your situation I wouldn't worry about counting calories, but rather just focus on choosing lots of healthy options at mealtimes and snacktimes to ensure adequate nutrition for yourself and your baby. And I believe that by focusing on adequate intake of nutritious options, avoiding empty calories or unhealthy options, and by staying active, that you'll wind up losing weight anyhow and all without jeaporidizing your health or your milk supply.

And, considering my own struggles with food options and activity level, that same advice might work for me too... and I'm not even nursing! :D
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My advice would be just to track what you eat for a few days and see what you're eating. You might find you're not taking in as many calories as you think, or maybe you're not getting enough protein or fiber or some other nutrient that your body is craving.

Remember that exclusive nursing burns up to 500 calories per day. If you do decide to cut calories, you need to keep that in mind. Set your MFP settings to lose .5 to 1 lb per week, and see what calorie recommendation it gives you. Then add 500 to that (either by manually adjusting your goal, or adding it to your food or exercise diary each day through the database entries for "breastfeeding").

You can safely lose weight while nursing, you just need to be mindful not to cut your calories too drastically because, as you said, it can impact your supply. It's really up to you whether you want to go ahead with the weight loss, or wait until she weans.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while nursing and did not change my diet...my lactation nurse told me nursing helps drop baby weight. You need to make healthy choices anyway since that sweet baby is depending on you!
  • k67808f
    k67808f Posts: 3
    Options
    Since you're nursing, those extra 500 calories you would normally cut out to lose weight are actually still needed. You need extra calories so that your body can produce the milk necessary to feed your little one. Though you may have the "need" to fit into those jeans, your baby really needs the nutrients and benefits you give while nursing. Worry about those 15 lbs later. Focus on your bundle of joy right now. Congrats! :happy:
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I breastfed both my kids till they were past 1 year old. I didn't count my calories while doing that at all but just focused on eating mostly clean, non processed foods. Protein and fat are very important when you are breastfeeding a baby exclusively.

With my first I got to 10 below my pre-pregnancy weight withi 6 months. Second one - well that's why I'm here. it was very hard to get it off. i am finally down to my pre-pregnancy weight now (at 15 months) but still need to lose the 20 I wanted to lose originally.

My advice - eat as much as you want of healthy foods. Don't worry about counting calories at all. You already aren't getting enough sleep - Don't add not enough food to the mix :-)

== I should add that I gained 60 lbs with my second - he was a HUGE baby and I had polyhydramnios.
  • Wtpbear20
    Options
    I have a 2month old baby girl ( she is my 3rd ) I am one of those women who does drop weight easily. I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. I am adding 500 calories to what my recommended calories are on here. These of course are the breastfeeding calories. I am not aiming to be under my calories though. I am trying to fill them with lots of veggies and protein so that the calories I am getting are quality.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes. Don't worry about counting calories or losing weight until you're done nursing. Just focus on making healthy choices and getting some rest when you can.

Exactly what she said! I exclusively nursed my son for what seemed like forever and I just didn't worry about losing weight or dieting. If your able to, talk to a lactation consultant about the reccomended caloric intake for nursing moms. Kellymom.com is a great resource for ALL things nursing!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have a 2month old baby girl ( she is my 3rd ) I am one of those women who does drop weight easily. I am exclusively breastfeeding my daughter. I am adding 500 calories to what my recommended calories are on here. These of course are the breastfeeding calories. I am not aiming to be under my calories though. I am trying to fill them with lots of veggies and protein so that the calories I am getting are quality.

Yes, this is key. Eat ALL of your calories every day while you are nursing, especially if you throw exercise into the mix.
  • oktoberblu
    Options
    I'm not a new mom, but have 6 little ones and am currently nursing my 2 and 1 year old daughters. Heathly food choices without counting calories at least until after your little one is regularly eating solids.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm not a new mom, but I have a 5 year old and I was on Weight Watchers right after my daughter was born. I have read from several sources that a nursing mom requires 500 extra calories. I take that to mean is 500 over what your maintenance calories would be. The most important thing is to make sure that you are eating a variety of nutritious food so that you have enough for you and your baby. Breastfeeding helps you lose weight, so don't stress about it too much. Eat what you need to eat, just concentrate on eating a healthy diet!
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course you're starving. Your body is still working to feed two and you're still recovering. Please don't cut your calories, just eat lean proteins and complex carbs.

Have you checked with LaLeche? Do you have a local chapter? I think they're online. Good luck.
  • geojulia
    geojulia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are all giving such good advice, thank you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Personally, I didn't diet until I was done nursing.

This. Buy new jeans. It really sucks. But it's worth it and you can be vain later.
  • geojulia
    geojulia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just discovered that I can enter "breastfeeding" into the food diary. It adds 500 calories to my daily budget. sweet! I've been starving myself these past few weeks! No wonder my supply has gone down :(
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Hey Julia !

Just wanted to add some interesting info to all the valuable advices given.

I ran a survey on a mom's forum about breastfeeding and weight loss as I was curious to see if it really was that true that you burn tons of calories nursing and so it makes losing weight that easy. Turned out only about 25% said they melt away the baby weight in no time while nursing ! 25% said they do lose the weight but really slowly, like a pound a month, 25% said they keep a 5-15 pounds that won't go away no matter what they try until they wean the baby and the last 25% said they even put on a few extra pounds while nuring. So all that to say please don't worry if you eat healthy and still can't seem to lose weight. It'll still be time to get your body back once you're done nursing.
  • nikip6454
    Options

Yep, I am pretty much doing this (except my kid is 4 months and I don't lose weight easily). MFP has me at 1200 cals then I add nursing mother in as food and get 500 more. I eat anytime I am hungry and I am having a hard time actually filling those 1700 when I am making decent food choices. My supply has not suffered at all-possibly improved. When I decided to start to lose weight, I added a pumping session just in case but I really don't need it at all--oh well freezer stash it is!