Therapy

Options
Today I am going to see a therapist to help with my depression. I'm scared of what she will think of me. I restarted MyFitnessPal yesterday for the 4th time in a year but my depression always derails me and I end more depressed than when I originally started. Anyone else?

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared about talking to anyone, especially on here. I can't talk about depression so stick with the therapist unless there are experts (and I mean real experts not youtube wannabes) on here. I have other distractions that mean I am back again heavier than ever. I am going to get in touch with the 'MFP' friends that are still going from last time and use them for inspiration. Those that talk regularly will be a true motivation.
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Mental health is very hard to deal with just remember that there are trained professionals out there who want to help you ❤️Trust the process of getting well

it’s always an up hill battle but the thing to remember is to keep going and try to be positive as hard as it is and most importantly see a professional and take care of yourself ❤️
  • browneyedbelle92
    browneyedbelle92 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Most of therapists I have seen will think you’re brave for coming forward and asking for help
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Today I am going to see a therapist to help with my depression. I'm scared of what she will think of me. I restarted MyFitnessPal yesterday for the 4th time in a year but my depression always derails me and I end more depressed than when I originally started. Anyone else?

Therapist, don't care - in that aspect. They have seen it all, they have herd it all.
    You are not the 1st person with this issue, you wont' be the last.
    You have nothing to fear, except fear its self
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I started seeing a therapist for anxiety and mild depression in early April, after dancing around the idea for the better part of a year. Do not be afraid. It is almost a relief to have someone to talk to about how you really feel and your reactions to the world around you, someone who isn't going to judge you or have a stake in your responses (like a family member might). Go into the visit with an open mind, and be honest.

Making the first appointment is the hardest step. Admitting you need someone to talk to is hard. And you have already done that part! Keep it up!
  • amybkatherine
    amybkatherine Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. I am really good at short term motivation, but then I get down and lose it all.
    I've started and restarted more times than I'd like to admit.
    I just restarted MFP today.
    I have my third appointment with my new therapist on Friday. She has spent the last 33 years with clients who have body image issues & eating disorders.
    She's seen so much and been through a lot herself. You can tell she just honestly wants to help people and I'm sure that your new therapist does too!

There's still such a negative connotation with therapy, but honestly, everyone deserves support when it comes to their mental health. Good for you for taking this step!
  • CBlakesley899
    CBlakesley899 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! My first session went pretty good but I felt like I needed to eat a cheesburger after because of all the emotions I felt. Thank you again! ❤
  • 1991court
    1991court Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! My first session went pretty good but I felt like I needed to eat a cheesburger after because of all the emotions I felt. Thank you again! ❤

Makes sense been there. Keep in mind your first session went good, and I bet your proud of yourself for taking such a brave step in mental health as well as physical. That cheeseburger desire, will make your body feel sick, then will make your brain feel sick. You may not forsure know that but trust me, when you're eating healthier and actually taking care of yourself, that burger will make you feel so gross.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Depression/anxiety are very hard to battle while trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I've let mine get the best of me and throw me off track more times that I can count, but what I have to remember is that a bad meal doesn't have to mean a bad day, a bad day doesn't have to mean a bad week and a bad week doesn't have to mean a bad month. One day at a time. Stay strong and hopefully your sessions will continue to make it easier to work through.
  • mstarks01
    mstarks01 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have taken a very important step. Treating depression with a therapist's help is often a great first step to adherence with a diet and exercise program, both of which reinforce that treatment in positive ways. Take it one step at a time. You got this!