Breakfast Help!

Options
Quick question ... Im currently eating 1200 calories and working out 4-5 times a week for about 1 hour at leat. I think I should be eating more as I've been recommended 1500 for weight/fat loss based on the amount of working out i do.

So Im looking for ways to add a little extra calories here n there. HEALTHY cals. I usually just have an egg white omlette. two egg whites usually and a slice of Kraft singles fat free cheese. In all that comes up to about 59 calories which I know is absurdly low for a WHOLE meal huh? I used to have the HERBALIFE protein shake ALONE for breakfast. But Ive run out n felt for a "solid" breakfast lol so I decided to try the egg whites.

Well someone recommended I add a protein shake somewhere..... not a full on shake with fruits etc... but Just one scoop of the MGN protein powder dissolved in some water and maybe one tbsp or 2 of Lasoy Soy Milk powder.

1) What I want to know is... is it ok for fat/weight loss based on my workouts, to have the egg whites AND that "protein shake" at ONCE for breakfast (just to add extra healthy calories to the 59) ? or will it ruin my diet and make me gain weight instead?

2) If it's best to have them separately... what else can I add to breakfast along with the egg whites so that my WHOLE BREAKFAST doesnt add up to just 59 calories... because that sounds like a number for a snack rather than a whole meal right? haha

thanks in advance. hope anyone can help! Im growing desperate :(

Replies

• peddlepusher
    Options
    add some peanutbutter
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    if the protein shake fits into your allowance for the entire day, go for adding it to your meal. the only way a meal becomes too large to have in one sitting is if it is well over 600 cals. (for a woman) i'm sure your shake and eggs won't add up to that much.

Another suggestion to add healthy cals to your breakfast is whole grain toast? you could put your eggs on it to make a sandwich, or spread some peanut butter and low-sugar jam on it.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Depends on when you work out.

For sure, drink the protein shake AFTER you work out, so build muscle and repair tissue.

Yes, continue to eat breakfast...it is the most important meal of the day, after all. Maybe even try eating a little bit more at breakfast, as you'll have all day to work it off.

Peanut butter would be a great addition to your breakfast. Greek yogurt and berries would be a great idea, too.
  • mari30rod
    Options
    I eat a cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of 2% milk which is 255 calories or try the oatmeal at McDonalds it is very good and has 290 calories. I still can't reach 1250 calories a day but I get to at least 1050 for the day.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    if you are only eating 1200 calories and workout that much you should definitely be eating a lot more...have you used the BMR tool...to figure out what your body burns at complete rest (not including any exercise or even a lethargic day) look at the tabs at the top of your home page and click on tools and BMR then it will figure out what that number is....try to eat at least this many calories as you will be at a deficit...and then try to eat at least some, half or all of your exercise calories...you are going to go into starvation mode and your weight loss will slow down and eventually stall altogether.

Suggestions...eat foods that are higher in calories (still healthy) try that protein shake with the eggs and cheese...

read this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Blessings :bigsmile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, start eating the whole darn egg... I eat a whole egg(fried) slice a toast w/butter, two slices of bacon and some fruit for breakfast pretty much everyday and that comes out to around 400-500 calories.

59 calories is very low for any meal.. unless its a snack.. I try to keep my snacks under a two hundred calories.

I also don't see why you can't have a protein shake at breakfast.. no one food combo is going to make you gain weight unless you constantly are over your calorie goal.
  • lexypoo1
    Options
    wow thanks to everyone for the quick responses! much appreciated.

I work out in the evenings at like 7-8pm or so...after work! haha. So I dont know if itll be ok to drink the shake after along with dinner huh? Like right now postworkout dinner im having 3 eggwhites (again) and half a cup of brown rice..like a healthy fried rice. or so i hope!

But for breakfast, the shake with the egg whites comes up to 230 calories which is in a healthy range no? I just got worried cause everyone uses protein shakes as meal replacements (well women mainly) so I thought combining the shake plus actual food would be disasterous.

truth is...iv gotten SOOOO bored with breakfast ideas... if its not egg whites n cheese its the shake alone.. I really dont know what else I can eat for breakfast that'll still be diet friendly haha!

thanks so much again to everyone :)
  • lexypoo1
    Options
    if you are only eating 1200 calories and workout that much you should definitely be eating a lot more...have you used the BMR tool...to figure out what your body burns at complete rest (not including any exercise or even a lethargic day) look at the tabs at the top of your home page and click on tools and BMR then it will figure out what that number is....try to eat at least this many calories as you will be at a deficit...and then try to eat at least some, half or all of your exercise calories...you are going to go into starvation mode and your weight loss will slow down and eventually stall altogether.

Suggestions...eat foods that are higher in calories (still healthy) try that protein shake with the eggs and cheese...

read this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Blessings :bigsmile:

trust me I think ive gotten to that point! weight loss has stalled. that's why i was recommended 1500 calories but Im struggling to find ways to add those extra cals in and still be healthy u know?

I see people saying peanut butter... but I dont know why I always thought it was bad? like alot of fat no?
  • lexypoo1
    Options
    Honestly, start eating the whole darn egg... I eat a whole egg(fried) slice a toast w/butter, two slices of bacon and some fruit for breakfast pretty much everyday and that comes out to around 400-500 calories.

59 calories is very low for any meal.. unless its a snack.. I try to keep my snacks under a two hundred calories.

I also don't see why you can't have a protein shake at breakfast.. no one food combo is going to make you gain weight unless you constantly are over your calorie goal.

haha i think ive got this diet thing all wrong! did u say bacon and toast in a meal and still coming under 400-500 cals?:noway: haha I DEF need a new outlook on breakfast. I have dinner and lunch down pat with variety... but breakfast always stumps me :s
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

haha i think ive got this diet thing all wrong! did u say bacon and toast in a meal and still coming under 400-500 cals?:noway: haha I DEF need a new outlook on breakfast. I have dinner and lunch down pat with variety... but breakfast always stumps me :s

Peanut butter does have a lot of fat, but it's a good kind of fat... and fat is essential for a healthy diet, even though food companies would like to make us think otherwise.

Yes, I did say bacon and toast in one meal.. I pretty much eat that for breakfast 6 days a week... and I love it because it helps keep me full! All your meals should have some form of fat, carb, protein etc in them. How much, I'm not sure.. you can look that up though. I know there have been topics on here in the past about that.
  • LadyDi723
    LadyDi723 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's not many calories plus not much nutrition. Add more to the egg white omelet. Chopped green peppers, mushrooms, sunflower seeds etc etc There are lots of possibilities. And have a piece whole grain toast.