Can't get motivated

Options
I have been struggling with my weight all my adult life. I was actively trying to lose weight and succeeding then 2 years ago was in a car accident and couldn't use my arms for 8 months due to pain, which sent my health in a downward spiral and my weight up. I had a hysterectomy 6 months ago and I'm now on iron supplements so my health is finally improving and I'm not anaemic anymore but still have high blood pressure and cholesterol. I have developed food allergies to onion and garlic plus another unknown ingredient so finding food I can eat is tricky. I want to get motivated and lose weight. I'm at the point where if I grab junk food instead of saying no don't eat that in my head I say "and you wonder why you are fat" and eat it anyway. I need to change my mindset and I need to learn how to cook allergy friendly food that my whole family will eat. I'm sick of hating myself and being in pain all the time. I know the pain is from the weight. I have gained 30kgs in the past couple of years. There are no gyms near where I live as we moved to a rural town 2 years ago. So that doesn't help. I need to find a way to make myself accountable and motivated. I want quality of life and to get off the medications I'm on. I am looking into getting the sleeve but that is so drastic. Help.... I need to find a way to get around my excuses.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Start off simply, by logging all your food and exercise into MFP. Don’t try to change anything, just log for one week. Then look at your diary and see where you would like to make changes.

Plain cuts of lean meat and fish, and fresh steamed, roasted, or grilled vegetables, are easy to cook, don’t have to contain onions or garlic, and most people like them! No need to make this complicated.

You have my sympathy with the health issues. It’s very hard to stay active when you’re anemic and in pain. Better days ahead! Do a little today, then a little more tomorrow, and soon you will be doing more than you ever believed possible.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear what you have been through...sounds very scary and hard...

My advice is - Don't wait for motivation - create it! Motivation is like those kids in high school, it will not come if there is no action already going on...so do small things to "attract" motivation.
    For example, do one simple, little thing today for your health/weight loss, like go for a 10 mins walk or make a veggie-based dinner. Then try to repeat it tomorrow. I bet that tomorrow evening you'll feel a bit more motivated :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    If you read your own post, you can see that you are in a vicious - self destructive cycle. You need to break that pattern. First, take a photo of yourself in your underwear and put it where you can only see it privately every day. That is what I did. Gosh..that motivated me. I didn't post it here or any other place. I just looked at it every day and it kept me on track. You deserve to be healthy, to feel good, to be whole. What you eat makes that happen. Be kind to yourself. Put yourself first for once. The human body is an amazing thing, if you feed it right, give it rest.. exercise (eventually) it responds.. and transforms. You are in total control on this one. You can do it! Best of luck to you.
  • andISeeMyFitness
    andISeeMyFitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've found something that motivates me, is to keep it as part of my life. I mean like read books, listen to podcasts, what Youtube videos. It can have a downside but for me, this is a sure way to keep me motivated.

Then again, don't try to make your life full of fitness. Take fitness as part of your life. There's a difference and I see this way too often that when people start fitness, they change their whole life. This is not a healthy way to do things and usually backfires eventually.

Take small steps. Not sure where exactly you are but if you eat junk food every day, then take a few days per week off. After it is easy, add no-junk days. WIth small improvements, you get a constant feeling of success and it is fun to make progress. There's no need to get from start to finish with one step.

Good luck and keep up the good work that you start by posting here. We all are here to give you support when you most need it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You’ve gotten some very good advice on this thread. I hope you read the above responses several times and try to implement the steps they suggest.

I’d like to add a couple of things. Take heart. It’s doable. I can tell you for a fact because I’ve done it. Nothing special about me except maybe I’m more persistent than some folks. Or maybe that’s more stubborn.

Always think in terms of “your plan.” Weight loss is mostly about problem solving. It’s not you that’s the issue here, it’s your plan. There’s a lot more to you than just your weight loss plan, but we’re here to work on weight loss.

Don’t be distressed when you struggle with your plan. Especially at first. There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve. But calorie counting, supported with a food diary, works. Always log everything in you food diary no matter what, good, bad or ugly. If your plan doesn’t work at some point, make it better. Sometimes plans are effective for a while but wear out. Adjust and adapt when needed. It takes a lot of persistence.

Get a food scale. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and try to hit your number. Weight loss takes place in the kitchen. Start a walking program. Find some total body workouts on YouTube. Improving fitness is good for our brains.

Try to get the scale going down on a long term livable trend. A plan you can’t live with is not a good plan. Take a long term view. Lots of folks wreck themselves over the time issue. Don’t be one of them.

I have a soft spot for folks trying to change for the sake of their kids. But really it was about me, what kind of parent I was going to be. Good luck.
  • rondajones2003
    rondajones2003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One step are a time. It is hard when the motivation isn’t there and I know in those days I try to do one thing: go for a walk, choosing water, calling a friend, or stretching for one minute. I find once I accomplish that one thing it helps me to keep going the next day.
  • wannamakemykidsproud
    wannamakemykidsproud Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice. I really appreciate it.
  • LiveLaughLove1969
    LiveLaughLove1969 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I’ve read the comments you’ve left and very informative. I understand where your coming from all but doing it for my kids, as I don’t have any. But been fighting all my life with being overweight and having a very hard time getting back on track. I also know I’m doing and eating unhealthy and still do it. I’ve been dieting and trying to get a healthy lifestyle forever. I’m on steroids and have been for 30 years due to a pituitary tumor and they keep me alive so I have to take them. As I get older it seems to get worse but that is not an excuse I want to use. I need motivation to eat healthier and workout.