Lost weight...same dress size??

Options
Hi everyone,
I have lost 23lb but I am still the same clothes size and haven't lost any inches anywhere, I am grateful that I am losing the weight just frustrated that it doesn't show.
Any tips would be great and how much weight did you have to lose to drop your first dress size? (I am aware that this is likely going to be different for everyone)

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What weight did you start at? The higher your starting weight, the longer it can take to show that you've lost.
  • beppipanks6
    beppipanks6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @Kathryn247 I started at 17st 4lb
    @NovusDies I can wear everything in my wardrobe now which is fantastic, I don't mean to sound ungrateful I am glad I can actually breathe in my clothes now Haha, it will be great when I can get into my motivation jeans :)
  • beppipanks6
    Options
    @OooohToast I am not giving up this time, it must have gone from somewhere but the main thing is it is gone and it isn't coming back!!! I will be so happy when it comes off my stomach, hips and thighs (my thighs have killed so many jeans!!) Thank you so much for the advice x
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @OooohToast I am not giving up this time, it must have gone from somewhere but the main thing is it is gone and it isn't coming back!!! I will be so happy when it comes off my stomach, hips and thighs (my thighs have killed so many jeans!!) Thank you so much for the advice x

You go girl !

I have lost the least off my thighs so am with you on that ! Our starting weights were the same too :)

I am still slightly mortified now I have realised just how much I lost off my upper back (euw !) and a sort of shelf of lard between my hips and waist - the sort of shelf you could balance a drink on.....
  • beppipanks6
    Options
    I am not sure how I can reply to individual comment...noob moment Haha
    @texasredreb I think I was pretty much stuffing myself into my current size, might have been a bit of refusal to go up another size to be honest
    @JaydedMiss I generally carry my weight all over, so it might be coming off all over gradually which I can't complain about
    @Terytha I am happy it is coming off, I just want it to show but it will over time
    Thank you everyone for your helpful comments x
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle?

she is eating at a deficit and makes no mention of a progressive lifting program so that is a rather odd conclusion to jump to. much more likely that she is losing from all over and just hasn't been enough to be noticeable yet.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    For me, I had been spurred kn to lose weight by the fact that my final size became too tight and I refused to buy anything bigger. It took a while for them to get too beg because they started too small. I don't know if this applies to you or not but once I got going, the size changes for me seemed to come around 10 pound intervals, but I am also only 5'2 your experience may vary😉
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I agree that the larger you start out, the longer it takes to change sizes. From my heaviest weight to 307 down to about 275 lb, I wore all of the same clothing. That's a 30+ lb difference and like others have said, I'm sure that I was stretching out some things when I gained the weight and might have needed a larger size in reality.

When I started using My Fitness Pal, I was at around 270 lb and wearing size 22 in most things. I got down to about 225-230 lb before suddenly realizing all of my clothes were too big for me, and then replaced with mostly size 16. But it fully took that long for it to happen...40 lb loss. But when it happened, it was very sudden. I was shocked to skip over 18-20 for the most part.

Now I am maintaining for years in the range of 160s-170s. I generally wear 10-12 in most items. When I am at 165, I can really only wear my size 10 stuff...but when I'm even up to 180, I still fit well in most of the 12s I have. While I'm not "small" now, I feel that is a pretty big range of almost 20 lb to wear the same clothing, especially when that includes "snug" items.

I've heard thinner women talk of a 5-7 lb difference meaning the difference between dress sizes, and I believe it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    @Kathryn247 I started at 17st 4lb
    @NovusDies I can wear everything in my wardrobe now which is fantastic, I don't mean to sound ungrateful I am glad I can actually breathe in my clothes now Haha, it will be great when I can get into my motivation jeans :)

So when you started you couldn't fit into some of your clothes and now you can? Congrats!! That sounds like losing a dress size and inches to me.
  • beppipanks6
    Options
    @lorrpb I suppose I have really lost a dress size if everything was too tight and now it isn't, it just seems that I have been in the same size forever despite losing weight Haha,I know it takes time and I can't rush what I want to last forever :)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    @lorrpb I suppose I have really lost a dress size if everything was too tight and now it isn't, it just seems that I have been in the same size forever despite losing weight Haha,I know it takes time and I can't rush what I want to last forever :)

I think you've hit on it. :) If you'd been buying clothes sizes that fit before, you probably would have gone down a dress size. Now your clothes are fitting like they should!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You likely have lost inches if they were too tight and now they aren't!

I'd also suggest some weight lifting if you haven't/have access to a gym or getting some weights/think it sounds interesting. That's the thing that changed my shape the most. I never had much to lose (like just shy of a stone), but I lost that and have been around the same weight since October but went down at least half a dress size just by recomping/weight lifting.