I'm going to cry!

Options
Today I started out good. Did a miniscule amount of what my exercise should be. But what broke me, besides lunch at chick-a-fila, was dinner. I didn't realize how many calories are in the bread of a whole 5grain sub! Let alone the carbs! I'm 625 NEGATIVE! I feel horrible- this is the first time I've ever felt so bad for being so far off my goal. I'm so upset I could cry! I could've had a small meal from McDonald's and done better than that! Please help. What do I need to do?! I just need motivation to work my *kitten* off, and I'm feeling like I can't do it !! :sad:

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It is okay to go over occassionally. Sometimes it even helps with metabolism. Don't beat yourself up. If you deprive yourself then you might not stick with it.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Don't let it upset you like this. Some days we just go over. Hell, i've been over every day for about a month. Eating colossal amounts of rubbish. You learn from this, it's all part of discovering the nutritional value of all the foods you eat. Just go ahead and scrap this day, carry on tomorrow as though you weren't negative today. Persistence is the key, not perfection. xx
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    Today I started out good. Did a miniscule amount of what my exercise should be. But what broke me, besides lunch at chick-a-fila, was dinner. I didn't realize how many calories are in the bread of a whole 5grain sub! Let alone the carbs! I'm 625 NEGATIVE! I feel horrible- this is the first time I've ever felt so bad for being so far off my goal. I'm so upset I could cry! I could've had a small meal from McDonald's and done better than that! Please help. What do I need to do?! I just need motivation to work my *kitten* off, and I'm feeling like I can't do it !! :sad:
    seriously its okay!!! im over too! but you should allow your self 1 day out of the week to EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT it boost your matabolism and works pretty well....tomorrow is another day to start over!
  • chedeco
    chedeco Posts: 109
    Options
    Alright, from the looks of things, you just joined here in August 2011. You're going to slip, you're going to make mistakes, and you're going to have days where you just don't give a crap. But you *did* exercise, even if it was only a miniscule amount. There are people in my house who did not get off the couch today. And you're paying attention to the fact that the food you ate was not the best choice. My favorite quote (and people will probably tire of it) is "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." If I do well in the morning and then cave and have a Coke at night, I try to tell myself that that does not mean the day is ruined, nor does it give me the license to have the 3 Cokes I really want. Just get back on the horse tomorrow. You got this.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's just one day! IT'S OK! :) Don'tttt let this stop you.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You could have had the fries, but you would not have had the same nutrients. Don't sweat it! You're learning and this is a lesson you wont soon forget. Even if you go over, it's entirely possible you still have a deficit for the day. Go for a walk if it will make you feel better and do better tomorrow. You're doing fine!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Seeing whats in the different foods you eat on a daily basis will definitely help you figure out how to moderate.... just stick with it, and if possible research before eating... you'll be able to figure out tweaks to get better (ie. what sauces, what cheese, etc)

And a sub with whole grain bread and veggies is much better than anything at mcdonalds, regardless of how many cals!!! getting the proper nutrients your body needs is more important than sticking to a calorie amount :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Wow, don't beat yourself up so much about it! That's how people develop unhealthy habits and eating disorders. Realize your mistake, move on, and start again tomorrow.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    At least you are logging. I think that is big in itself. It is so easy to cheat and make yourself feel better by putting down incorrect numbers. You are not going to always be under your calorie goal. You just have make sure that you are logging every little morsel you put in your mouth. If I can do this then you can too. Something that helps me is my kitchen scale. I weigh everything so that I make sure I am logging the correct info. It is very hard to eat out and stay under your calorie goal. If you need some good recipes I have a ton. :)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's okay.....and is just one day. Just promise yourself that you will get back on track tomorrow. Now you know how many calories are in those items. Next time, you might eat less or make different choices. We learn as we go.
  • Mrkroehl8488
    Options
    You can't beat yourself up like this! Making the step to start to lose weight is a huge one. There will be mistakes, and overages. That is the amazing part of this website, it lets you create a diet that will work for you :) Try to get a walk in, otherwise wake up tomorrow and know that it is a new day!

Have fun with this! :D
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day! If you want more in your sub I have found that getting the 6 inch and doubling the meat works well..saves a TON of calories. ( I'm over today too:tongue: )
  • Pokee1
    Pokee1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It does happen to all of us. At least your's was only one day ... my whole August was a right off! Tomorrow is a new day, a better day. I bet the sub, although it had more calories and carbs, was way more nutritious than any McDonald's you could have eaten and better for your body too!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Your only human and everyone has off days. Sometimes if I feel really bad for being over my calories I make up for it to some extent by exercising that day or doubling up the next day. Think of it as if I eat this I'm going to have to do this to stay ahead of it. But yes you should allow yourself one day or meal a week to indulge. It gives you something to look forward to. I have the phone application and whenver I'm going to eat something I put it in first to see what calories and etc it will be before I eat it.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    aww, I know what you mean! I have had a crazy week with unexpected celebrations and dinner outings and I've trying to make health-conscious decisions but sometimes at a restaurant you really can't be sure what you're eating. I just try to guesstimate, eat smaller portions, and remember that I'm here to have fun and live a little! Start fresh tomorrow! :) All is well.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    First take a deep breath........smile....and put it behind you! This is not the worst day of eating you have ever had (I'm guessing cause it didnt look too bad compared to some days I have had...entire med meat lovers pizza....ya, thats bad.)
    Hindsight is 20/20. NOW you can prepare better the next time you eat out. Look for a lower carb option if there is one available have that instead of the big number bread. Think of your calories like money in the bank. Calculate how many calories you are willing to 'spend' on certain items and budget accordingly. For now....dont stress about a slip. If you can take a long walk to burn some cals. I believe in you and your ability to make better choices in the future.
    Sometimes courage is saying "I will try again tomorrow" =)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1 lb a week, then you were only 125 calories over your maintenance level. If your goal is 2 lbs a week, then you were still 375 calories under your maintenance level. Don't sweat one bad day - just rededicate yourself tomorrow!

Another tip - try log food before you eat it! Sometimes I will have my entire day's worth of food logged by 9:45am. It makes it a lot easier to stay on track.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't let yesterday dictate what you do tomorrow. Everyone messes up. Try planning your meals in advance, bringing a lunch to work, keeping healthy snacks at work or in your car. If you know you're going out to eat, have something small at home before you go so you won't be so hungry when you get there. Dust yourself off, you'll be fine.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It happens, we all fall down sometimes. The important thing to remember is tomorrow is a new day. Make the right choices then, and forget about what happened today. I killed myself in sodium today, like WAY over, but tomorrow I won't intake as much sodium and I'll keep improving as every new day comes along. If you need a friend, add me. I try to be as supportive as possible, because I know changing eating habits is tough.