Is a 4% bodyweight reduction too much for my current stats?

I'm considering joining a Dietbet.
If you've never done one before, you have to lose 4% of your bodyweight in 30 days.
I'm 5'6" and currently at 147-149 ish lbs, depending on the day. 4% of 149 is about 6lbs. That's a 1.5 lb/week loss. At my current size, is that too much weight too fast? I'm not overweight anymore, I'm in the mid range for normal for BMI (I know that that does not matter but I don't have any pictures to post at the moment.)
My point is that I don't have a lot left to lose. At what point should I be trying for a half pound or so a week so I'm not doing more harm than good to my body?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Yes, that is an overly aggressive rate of loss for your stats. Since you’re already in your optimal BMI range, if you’re not happy with your appearance, you might look into recomp rather than weight loss.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2019
    One month of aggressive dieting is unlikely to do any lasting harm if you are a youngish and healthy person, but it may backfire, in that with a severe deficit (and 750 deficit a week for a normal weight female person is severe), your non-exercise activity level is likely to drop as your body compensates for being malnourished, which means your body is requiring fewer calories, which isn't helpful to your overall goal. You would also have to be extra conscious about meeting minimum nutrition requirements for fats and micronutrients, and do some kind of resistance training + eat 115g protein (.8g X goal) to help most of the weight loss be fat as opposed to muscle.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    edited May 2019
    Not a great idea.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2019
    1. Yes, pretty aggressive.

2. A lot of people in those dietbets cheat--they binge/eat super salty food and weigh in higher, so it's easier to lose the 4%. They end up gaining and losing around the same amount of weight every month--not healthy.

3. Dietbet takes 15% of the pot and the host takes another 10%, so you're really only splitting 75% of the pot. They're the real winners, here.

4. You end up winning at the expense of people who couldn't lose.

5. I've heard it encourages disordered eating behaviour (see point 2). People sharing tips on how to lose weight super fast near the end--not drinking, overexercising, long fasts, etc.

6. Sometimes the hosts aren't very active/don't give good, measured advice.

TBH I'd just make a loose bet with some close friends if you think that's more motivating, and you could set different goals like hitting x steps, or drinking y water, or eating z serving of vegetables, or lifting 3x a week. Something that's actually building good lasting habits instead of gaming a scale for like $15 more than you put in.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    If you want to do it, just cheat the system, as mentioned above by @heybales

Start off the weigh in the morning after eating a massive meal with heaps of sodium and carbs and drink heaps of water. Get that nice big bloat weight in as you starting point.

Then go about your next 25-ish days in normal fashion, a slight, healthy deficit to lose at a normal healthy rate.

Then, in the last week, 25%-30% calorie deficit (as in from your maintenance calories minus 25-30%) and go semi-keto. Carbs max 50g, protein 2.2g per kilo bodyweight and the rest fat. Watch the water weight drop like a mofo.

Job done.