Advice of Keto Diet please! Fats

Options
HarrieMe
HarrieMe Posts: 3 Member
Hello!

So I've just started Keto (for two days so far) and I know it's early days but my god, it is hard fitting in the amount of fats. I'm a little worried that my natural appetite is turning me away from eating more (which is a good thing?)

But I am not reaching my recommended daily fat intake - so, do you think push past and eat more despite not feeling hungry or go with the flow of my appetite?

Also - if anyone is using the ketone pee stick things, do I have to be the darkest shade to be in ketosis? If I hit "moderate" ketones, is that ketosis?

Please let me know your thoughts! Watching so many YouTube videos on this but need a little clarity!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you stay under your carb goal and are around your protein goal, it's okay not to hit a specific fat number, as you are also burning fat on your body if in a deficit. BUT, you should not be crazy low on calories, so if you are struggling to get enough cals, consider whether you are having trouble letting go of the idea that you should choose lower fat options, etc. You need to eat more fat when low carbing. Some ideas are nuts and seeds, adding cheese or oil or butter to vegetables, using full fat dressings and dairy, eating whole eggs rather than egg whites, etc. Without knowing what you are eating hard to say.
  • smnozeres
    smnozeres Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started today after watching a documentary, it is hard to eat the fats without going over on carbs.
    I think I might get a recipe book, any suggestions? Isnt dark urine mean your dehydrated?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If you are dehydrated it has nothing to do with keto, drink more water (or other liquids).

When I did keto it was not recipe based, just eggs and veg and avocado, salad and protein and nuts, and then meat/fish and lots of veg, everything cooked in olive oil, everything full fat.

That said, you can find a documentary to support any dietary position, please don't choose a diet based on some documentary.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Re the pee sticks: no you don’t have to match the darkest color. It is a range, low amount of ketones-high amount of ketones. In the middle is good. Too low, and you’re not in ketosis. Too high can lead to Ketoacidosis.