How to curve icecream cravings?

Options
18ishunter
18ishunter Posts: 15 Member
Ok so I crave ice cream ALL the time, and its been hotter lately so cold sugar just sounds amazing. Help! Lmao

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the slwo churned Edy's ice creams. They are less calories. Also enlightened, chilly cow, halo top etc are all lower calories and protein rich too. Lastly could do popsicles, fruit bars, yasso yogurt bars etc- all could be less calories than reg. ice cream.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have some? I plan ice cream into my daily goals at least once a week
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can have ice cream as long as it fits into your calorie goal, and doesn’t make you sick or aggravate any medical condition.

If you have trouble fitting ice cream into your calorie goal, there are many high protein/low calorie ice creams. They aren’t going to taste exactly like the higher calorie stuff, but many people enjoy them.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    eat ice cream ;) there are some low cal ones depending how open you are. Eat what fits in your daily calorie goal.

another thing i do in the summer is use frozen fruit thru a blender (or i got a yonanas). i quite like it and it hits the spot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I don't like any of the really light ice creams like Halo Top. I do like Ben & Jerry's reduced fat ice cream, but it is problematic for me because my brain thinks 1 container = 1 serving, and they are too caloric for me to fit this in.

I do like Greek yogurt with fruit. It hits the spot because it is sweet, creamy, and cold. And there's a protein bonus!

Shaw's and Stop & Shop have had Chobani 5.3 oz cups on sale, plus I can often get digital coupons, so that's what I've been getting. I like being able to get an assortment of flavors. When Chobani isn't on sale I get quarts of Stonyfield and add my own fruit.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Consider getting a cheap ice cream maker and doing with a blend that fits in your macros/overall goals. It almost hits the spot. Figure out what exactly you crave. The cold and sugar? The cream?
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Google Banana Nice Cream. Pureed frozen bananas. You can add chocolate, etc. It's really good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Homemade is great. I take frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, cottage cheese or greek yogurt (plain) 1/2 cup or so, 1 tbsp strawberry jam, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and enough milk to blend... if I want more protein I will also throw in half a scoop vanilla protein powder. blend it in a magic bullet, blender, or food processor and it comes out the consistency of soft serve ice cream, even my kids (4 and 8) love it.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it either in small quantities daily or in large quantity maybe once a week- fitting into calorie goals. I guess I'm thinking life is about finding what works for you, not deprivation.. Maybe go for a less calorific ice cream ? Instead of a high cream content dense one go for an airier (less calories) one? I relate to your ice cream struggles though man... It's my favorite too!! What I've done is get more active to fit it in, it is that important to me haha
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Abstain would be the way I would tackle that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate PB2 peanut butter powder, then combined with frozen mixed berries, is cold, sweet and (bonus!) nutritious. I also like Yasso Greek Yogut Bars.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love halo top! Also seconding the banana nice cream.

I sometimes do frozen cherries, chocolate protein powder, oat milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter or PB2. I make it thick enough to eat with a spoon.
  • HulkV2
    HulkV2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Take a whipped yogurt and freeze it, it's really good.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Blending cottage cheese with frozen fruit and sugar, or with just sugar and cinnamon is great if you need extra protein too. The sugar cinnamon thing tastes like cheesecake base.

Just gonna add that the best way to curb this craving is to steer into the skid. The inexpensive store bought ice creams are heavily whipped and stabilized. They aren't actually that calorie dense. Heck, even soft serve is pretty good, I think a McDonald's cone is like 170 calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Oh, never mind.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

Just gonna add that the best way to curb this craving is to steer into the skid. The inexpensive store bought ice creams are heavily whipped and stabilized. They aren't actually that calorie dense. Heck, even soft serve is pretty good, I think a McDonald's cone is like 170 calories.

I enjoy lots of McD's cones during the summer for this very reason. It's a treat that is so easy to work into my daily calorie goal, and since I have to drive there to get it, there are no additional servings in the freezer tempting me. I once took my food scale and tried to weigh it in my car before eating, and it was a messy disaster! Now, I just round up to 200 calories and call it good. :)
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I like Yasso Bars—built in portion control.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Take one graham cracker, halve it, put light cool whip in the middle to make a sandwich and freeze. They are delicious, and a nice cool treat in the summer.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Take one graham cracker, halve it, put light cool whip in the middle to make a sandwich and freeze. They are delicious, and a nice cool treat in the summer.

oh gawd i should not have read this. cool whip is already becoming a problem food in my life haha. I love graham crackers.