Hummus?

Options
crzyone
crzyone Posts: 872 Member
Can someone tell me where you find Hummus (am I spelling it right?). I've been reading that a lot of people like it but I can't find it in Walmart......or the other grocery store here in town......does anyone buy it at Walmart? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place....I was looking in the bean section?

So, if I am able to find some......what do you do with it? how do you eat it??? I want to try something new.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Deli section. Near cheeses and dips. Its good with whole wheat crackers or veggies. I like to eat it with raw green beans. Usually made with garbanzo beans but I got some edamame hummus the other day that was delicious. I love it.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try looking near the deli at Walmart. That's where I found it.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have found it at Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, safeway, Albertson's. Not sure if you have nay of these stores around you. Also, you could make you're own.
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know my walmart it is buy the deli meat and cheese...( the deli where they slice the meat for you)...ENJOY!!
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I buy it at Walmart. They have a lot of different types. It's by the deli section. Ask the people in the deli and they should be able to help ya!
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can also find it near the dip in the cooler section.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]9938634.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • crzyone
    Options
    OHhh.....so it comes cold? Thanks I'll try looking there.

Do you know anything about where to find cous cous and how to eat that?
  • babyrn_98
    babyrn_98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is refrigerated, so that is the first place to start...I see it alot by the lettuce and stuff at one store, but at others it will be by the refrigerated fresh salsas. I hope that helps. If you know the ones you have had and like, go for that, because it sucks when you shell out $5 for one that is yucky. I hope this helps you.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    its great on veggies as a dip - but yeah be aware that some of them are not very good. if you get a bad one dont' give up, try again.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    you can always make it yourself if you have a blender or food processor. a can of chickpeas, a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and then spices like garlic, cumin, curry powder, etc. super easy and ends up being a lot cheaper than the store-bought ones. :)

as far as what to do with it goes, definitely dip veggies in it, baby carrots are a personal favorite of mine. it's also good on bagels, in sandwiches, on crackers, stuff like that.
  • downlbs
    downlbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make mine home made...a can of chick peas, tahini paste, garlic and a little greek yogurt.
    Recently I found that Winco(an employee owned large grocery chain in the pacific northwest) has hummus powder in their food bins- all you have to do is add water to the powder. It tastes great and is so much easier too.
  • VioletsMommy
    Options
    They have lots of different flavored ones at trader joes. I am addicted to the jalepino and cilantro hummas. It is really good with the trader joes sea salt and black pepper rice chips - only 120 calories in the chips and you get 38 chips for 1 serving.
  • kitchenfairy
    Options
    Since everyone else has answered the hummus part of your question, I'll skip to your second question... I usually find couscous either in the bulk section (if you have one) or in the grocery aisle with middle eastern or rice. You can get plain and add your own twist or there are boxed ones with flavor already added. Personally I buy the plain and make it my own. As for recipes, there are a ton on the internet, but basically anything you can make with rice you can do with couscous... salads, serve stew over, etc.
  • crzyone
    Options
    THank you all.....I know where to look for the hummus now!!!