I finished a half marathon

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,236 Member
edited May 2019 in Success Stories
Yesterday I completed a half marathon. I have been steadily using MFP to keep my eating under control, and my Garmin 645/Music to train.

The preparation, and the actual event all went really well. I want to keep making progress, but I also want to dial it down for a little while. Briefly 'dial down' not 'stop, and regress.'

Good times. I had 100 lbs to lose, and in all this preparation, I lost about 30 lbs. Feels good.

Replies

• westcampus88
    westcampus88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good job!! Can’t get myself motivated to do one..
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Can’t get myself motivated to do one..

Yeah, it isn't easy. The people on MFP who have Garmins really helped me stay motivated to do the walking and running.

On Garmin Connect there is an MFP group.
    "My Fitness Pal Buds"

• fitttby32
    fitttby32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome! Congrats! I also completed a half marathon yesterday—first one! It wasn’t easy but because I’ve been using MFP since January, I’ve dropped pounds which has helped me with running.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    fitttby32 wrote: »
    I also completed a half marathon yesterday

My fellow MFP/HalfMarathon team member. Congrats?

I did the M2B
  • andISeeMyFitness
    andISeeMyFitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats!

I also had a target to run a half marathon and I had already signed up a race that was a week ago. Unfortunately, I injured my leg about a month ago and had to skip the race. Well, lucky for me there are tons of other sports to focus while the leg heals. Now I'm back with my old love, powerlifting.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Chris! I remember your first post on this very board. Such progress.

I trail-run twice a day but I do know someone whose passionate about marathons, @yogidani77
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    Options
    YES!! I want to eventually work my way to this :)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    yogidani77 wrote: »
    YES!! I want to eventually work my way to this :)
    some advise i received was to
    1) sign up for one.
    2) tell everyone here and IRL that you signed up
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I didn't weigh in for five days....after a bunch of travel. A little bit of free-range eating. And a half-marathon. I dropped 0.6 lbs. I'll take it. :smiley:
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    wobblemcwobbleface Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well done Chris bet that felt good. Are you going to pencil in a marathon? Plenty of good ones out there . Not sure if they have one where you are but there is a great sounding one in France called the marathon medoc ( you visit 23 vineyards with local produce and wine ) so a double challenge awaits 🙄

W
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Wine and produce sounds fun....about 20 years ago I did 100k bike ride "Tour de Organics" in Napa County, the apples were amazing... beautiful countryside.

Running while eating and drinking is for stronger people than me...
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • jrh_this_better_work
    jrh_this_better_work Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well done! A Half Marathon is no joke! I ran two earlier this year, but am unhappy with both times, most of which are tied to weight I've put back on in the last two years. I've just started logging again, and hope to be ready for January half marathons at a better racing weight. Again, well done to you!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    and hope to be ready for January half marathons at a better racing weight.

Hey @jrh_this_better_work that's about where I am. I know how easy it would be to take one or two or six months off and lose it all. I want to pick a Dec/Jan half and keep on preparing. Let's collaborate. 7 months, is plenty of time to drop some lbs. Increase fitness, and have a good time running in January.
  • wobblemcwobbleface
    wobblemcwobbleface Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    and hope to be ready for January half marathons at a better racing weight.

Hey @jrh_this_better_work that's about where I am. I know how easy it would be to take one or two or six months off and lose it all. I want to pick a Dec/Jan half and keep on preparing. Let's collaborate. 7 months, is plenty of time to drop some lbs. Increase fitness, and have a good time running in January.

I am toying with the idea to start running again - my back has not been great and I have been too heavy ( still am really but this would help). Finished with running a few years ago but perhaps a sneaky half might just tempt me back into the fold- I agree you need something in the diary to aim for - that is where I went wrong - finished my last run 2016, got busy and fed up and then put weight on - I have however never been a thin runner so not a natural runner really more of a steady plodder. Appreciate you are not in the UK but when are you looking to do one ?
    W

• chris_in_cal
    Options
    I'm thinking of Sunday, January 19, 2020.
    The Carlsbad half, inmotionevents.com/event/carlsbad-marathon-2/
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,831 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Thanks. It was fun. I'm really anxious to sign up for something else...It's only been a week but I'm thinking I need to have a vision of something down the road to keep me on track.
  • _Paparazzi_
    _Paparazzi_ Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nice job !
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I've signed up for my first half marathon in Jan. Anniversary of my first 10k. Ran my first 5k in March 2018. Used MFP to drop 45# in 2017 and C25k to get started running. It's never too late to start. I'm 60.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!