Half marathon - impulse booking! Yay or nay?

Options
Faebert
Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
Background: I’ve been running now for around a year, having always thought I ‘wasn’t a runner’ and have gradually built up my distance and speed following no programme whatsoever. My longest runs have been 10 miles, which I’ve done a few times in a time of around 1:35, and I regularly run 10k in about 55 minutes. I run 2-3 times a week, at least 10k each time. These are all done locally in quite a hilly area.

I’ve never done a race and, frankly, find the idea a bit scary but I keep thinking it would be good to experience it. Was looking online this morning and saw that there is a half marathon this Sunday. It’s right by my boyfriend’s place and in the area I run when I stay over there. Not too expensive and there are still places open. I’m tempted to book on impulse.

So questions: can I do it if I’ve never run that far before? Is it crazy to book now with only five days to go and no idea what I’m doing? If I go for it, do I need to prep in any way or just give it a go?

All thoughts welcome

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortably running 10 miles now you should be able to finish a half-marathon (the longest runs in many plans are wound 10 miles).

Whether or not it's a good idea is hard to say. If it were a big race with thousands of runners it may be a little intimidating, if it's a smaller race perhaps not so much. I usually suggest people try a couple of shorter races first just to get their mental game on.

If you approach it as a fun run with no other goal than finishing with a smile on you face you're probably going to have a good time. Many races have pace bunnies (experienced runners that will run at a predetermined pace to help people not blow their brains out - it's very common for people to go out way too fast) if this race does latch on to one with a finishing time you feel comfortable with (as your first race just crossing the finish line will be a PR).

Nothing new (gear or nutrition) on race day, cut back a little on the fiber the day before, be well hydrated, get a good night's sleep, have a light breakfast (my go to before a race is toast & PB, a banana & yogurt) and get to the start with enough time for the porta-pottie lines (just trust me on that one). Most importantly, smile for your finish line photo (depending on the size of the crowd you'll feel like an Olympian getting cheered across the line, it's an incredible rush). Have fun!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortably running 10 miles now you should be able to finish a half-marathon (the longest runs in many plans are wound 10 miles).

Whether or not it's a good idea is hard to say. If it were a big race with thousands of runners it may be a little intimidating, if it's a smaller race perhaps not so much. I usually suggest people try a couple of shorter races first just to get their mental game on.

If you approach it as a fun run with no other goal than finishing with a smile on you face you're probably going to have a good time. Many races have pace bunnies (experienced runners that will run at a predetermined pace to help people not blow their brains out - it's very common for people to go out way too fast) if this race does latch on to one with a finishing time you feel comfortable with (as your first race just crossing the finish line will be a PR).

Nothing new (gear or nutrition) on race day, cut back a little on the fiber the day before, be well hydrated, get a good night's sleep, have a light breakfast (my go to before a race is toast & PB, a banana & yogurt) and get to the start with enough time for the porta-pottie lines (just trust me on that one). Most importantly, smile for your finish line photo (depending on the size of the crowd you'll feel like an Olympian getting cheered across the line, it's an incredible rush). Have fun!

The bolded. Don't try to "race" it just treat it as on of your training runs with a few extra people.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you can do 10 miles, you will do 13 easy. BUT!!! Dont explode out of the running blocks and get carried away by trying to keep up. Go at your pace, or you'll be breathing out your ...........bottom.
    Enjoy!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " just treat it as on of your training runs with a few extra people." I often refer to "races" as group runs. Enjoy.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Just focus on running really easy for the first 10-11 miles. Only turn it up in the last 2 miles or so (or don't if you would rather run the whole thing easy).

If you feel like you're running anything above a really easy pace in the first 10 miles or so, slow way down. The only time you should even feel like the race is a struggle is in the last mile.

Trust me, the stretch to 13 miles from 10 might not sound like a ton but that last mile or two can really kick your butt if you haven't paced properly early in the race.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable with 10 then a half marathon should be achievable.

Good luck if you choose to go for it.
  • ultradreamz
    ultradreamz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Background: I’ve been running now for around a year, having always thought I ‘wasn’t a runner’ and have gradually built up my distance and speed following no programme whatsoever. My longest runs have been 10 miles, which I’ve done a few times in a time of around 1:35, and I regularly run 10k in about 55 minutes. I run 2-3 times a week, at least 10k each time. These are all done locally in quite a hilly area.

I’ve never done a race and, frankly, find the idea a bit scary but I keep thinking it would be good to experience it. Was looking online this morning and saw that there is a half marathon this Sunday. It’s right by my boyfriend’s place and in the area I run when I stay over there. Not too expensive and there are still places open. I’m tempted to book on impulse.

So questions: can I do it if I’ve never run that far before? Is it crazy to book now with only five days to go and no idea what I’m doing? If I go for it, do I need to prep in any way or just give it a go?

All thoughts welcome

If you can run 10 miles in 1:35, you can easily complete a half. DO IT!! Have fun and good luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Check out Rock N Roll half marathons if you have any cities nearby that host them. Great support on the course and from the organizers.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

Now you have a PB to beat...