Losing weight on vacation

Options
fitbritt128
fitbritt128 Posts: 35 Member
edited May 2019 in Motivation and Support
I haven’t seen a thread about this yet. If there is one, please let me know!

Anyways, I’m going to Vegas today for a couple days (leave Thursday afternoon). I really don’t want to gain water weight or any weight while on vacay. I’ve been struggling to lose these last 6 pounds for the past three months. I don’t want anymore set backs!

Does anyone have any tricks to maintain or lose weight while traveling? Any advice is appreciated! 😊

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    Vegas is so fun. You will be walking miles and miles per day unless you have a rental car or take taxis everywhere. That in itself is a help, you'll be walking more than in your daily life, for sure (unless you already walk everywhere.)

Vegas has such great restaurants. Just enjoy yourself.

I usually eat a light breakfast mid morning in Vegas and a big splurge meal later in the day. Buffets are good and worth it.

You can trudge when you get back. Just have fun and don't be *that* person on vacation who whines about the food being fattening.:)
  • waukenabogirl
    waukenabogirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eat as much unprocessed food as possible because it won’t be loaded with sodium. Fresh fruit, grilled or baked veggies, grilled meat and fish. Ask for dressing and toppings on the side of salads. Get sub sandwiches with plain deli meats instead of salami or meatballs and use mustard instead of mayo. Talk with your server at restaurants to work out which entrees can be prepared with less sodium and calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Been to Vegas a couple of times lately.

I came home with about 5lbs of water weight both times.

Causes: flying, heat, extra salt in food. Nothing I could do about it, also nothing to worry about. It was gone 3-4 days after getting home.

There was one day I was peeing like an elephant, inconvenient, but highly ammusing.

Treat it as a diet break. Eat at maintenance. Enjoy all foods and drinks, just be aware if your portion sizes and don’t waste calories on food that doesn’t please you.

Oh, and totally agree with @cmriverside, you can walk for miles in Vegas without noticing, that will help off set some of those extra calories.

Cheers, h.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you flying? If you're flying, there's not really any way around water weight...airplane bloat is a thing.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The amount of walking is real in Vegas. Embrace it and burn calories that way. Skip the sugar loaded mixed drinks and stick with water
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would just focus on maintaining your fat levels and enjoying yourself. Water weight isn't a "setback". It doesn't have anything to do with fat loss. You can still lose fat while gaining water weight. The water weight should come off quickly after vacation.

If you are worried about the psychological affects of seeing your weight higher, I recommend you don't weigh yourself for a week after the vacation, to give everything time to run its course.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    No disrespect @msunat97, but having a couple of those alcoholic sugar laden mixed drinks a day was a joyful part of my Vegas experience.

Where else could I get a cocktail served in a Eiffel Tower glass and be able to walk down the street drinking it. :)
    All three parts of that were unique experiences, for me, never to be forgotten.

Will agree that going overboard on those types of drinks could be detrimental in more ways than one.

Talking of cocktails, @fitbritt128, if you get a chance, go have lunch at the top of the Eiffel Tower, great food, and order a St Germain. Bubbles, elderflower liqueur, and soda water. My most favourite drink there.

Cheers, h.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just came back from Vegas last week and although exercised by walking and running I fully expected to gain. Weighed myself arriving back home and gained 3 pounds so good considering. I found it very easy to select healthy options at most restaurants with one main meal per day, stocked up on fruit for the room as well.

Enjoy!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I was recently on vacation, and I managed to only "gain" 4 lbs over 8 days. The number one thing I did everyday was made sure I drank enough water. The other things that helped me were choosing low calorie drinks, but also limiting alcohol for the most part, using portion control, and staying active. 2 of the 4 lbs were gone within 5 days of coming back, but with flying you will most likely at least be up a little bit. Just stick to what you know works, and know that anything the scale says you gained will most likely come off really quick once you're home and back in your routine as long as you are eating and drinking consciously while away.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    On the water thing in Vegas.

The tap water in even the biggest hotels is awful. As soon as I arrive in Vegas I stop at a drug store (on every corner) and buy two litters of bottled water per day per person for the room. I can't even brush my teeth with that tap water. I think it's recycled Bellagio fountain water, for real.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Sorry a bit off topic.

The tap water in even the biggest hotels is awful. As soon as I arrive in Vegas I stop at a drug store (on every corner) and buy two litters of bottled water per day per person for the room. I can't even brush my teeth with that tap water. I think it's recycled Bellagio fountain water, for real.

You just made me laugh, re Bellagio.

Sat out enjoying a cheap light beer at sunset last night and put the sprinkler on our little patch of grass, turned to SO and said ‘Ooh, it’s just like sitting at the outdoor cafe watching the fountain at the Bellagio’.

Think I may need another Vegas jaunt.

Cheers, h.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Avoid them buffet places. +1 lots of walking if you do want to eat/drink more.
  • nattowen23
    nattowen23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do 75/25 when eating. 75% of you plate should be high fiber foods and 25% is the other. Whatever you want the other to be.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Sorry a bit off topic.

You just made me laugh, re Bellagio.

Sat out enjoying a cheap light beer at sunset last night and put the sprinkler on our little patch of grass, turned to SO and said ‘Ooh, it’s just like sitting at the outdoor cafe watching the fountain at the Bellagio’.

Think I may need another Vegas jaunt.

Cheers, h.

LITERS not litters.

Thanks for the opportunity to fix that.

...and one always needs another Vegas jaunt. There's something you missed, or something new they added since you were there. :smile:

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. :p