Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
My heart rate monitor is about to bite the dust. I love my Polar watches with a chest strap for EKG heart rate monitoring, but it's time for a new one. I was looking at different types online, and they just seem so complicated now. Hardly anyone makes one with a chest strap anymore, unless they are super expensive ($300-800!). 300 would be my max I'd want to spend, but that just seems so ridiculous, and it better be really amazing for that much money. The wrist-based l monitoring has improved, but it's not what I'm looking for right now. If it has wrist based monitoring, I'd like it to have the ability to sync to a EKG-based chest strap during exercise. I would also like to see my heart rate in real time, and I don't want to carry my phone (I've killed a couple phones with sweat before). My heart rate gets super high at times, like stays at 185+, especially in the heat, so it's important to me to know that I'm pushing myself hard enough, but then know when I'm struggling, be able to check if it's time to back off a bit due to my heart rate. Recommendations?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I bought a Garmin Forerunner 35 which you should be able to purchase now for under $150. I ordered a chest strap which was extra. I’m very satisfied. I was a die-hard Polar HR monitor dude for probably 20 years.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Is the watch dying or is it the HRM? You can replace the HRM and the strap.

If you need a watch, check out the Garmin forerunner and get the chest strap separately.

There are also 3rd party HRM straps that work with many Polar and Garmin watches (and your phone).

Good luck.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what going on with it, but I've had it for about 6 years (I think it's a H1 strap with a RS300 watch), and it loses connection or loses my heart rate a lot (I look down and it says 00 bpm). I've changed the batteries in both the chest strap and the watch, but it still loses my heart rate. I've checked the connections, etc., but it does what it wants, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern for when it'll read and when it won't. Plus, the watch has lost some of its water resistance, so if I forget to take it off before I wash my hands, the watch dies when it gets wet. It seems to be okay with sweat, but not water on the top/face. I also tried checking the seals and tightening the screws. I've been using a Polar for about 14 years, and it didn't use to be this finnicky, so I'm pretty sure it's just time for a new one. Any ideas are appreciated though!

I have heard lots of great things about Garmin. Thanks for the feedback. From what I've read, my chest strap won't sync with some devices due to it being such an old model, but I can certainly try that before getting another chest strap.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Vivoactive 3 does the things you're talking about, and will work with an Ant+ chest belt. (I need to use one for rowing, either on-water or machine, because there's too much arm movement to keep good wrist contact. The wrist detection seems to work fairly well for things like walking (I don't run)). It's probable that some of the other Garmin models do similar stuff, but this one had features that help me track the workouts I really care about, on-water rowing. I'm not as familiar with the rest of the line.)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I’m so glad I found this thread! My Polar HRM and watch died after 15 years. Fitbit HR isn’t accurate for calories burned (I play tennis and paddle), and my MyZone HRM died after a year.

I’ll check out the above recommendations as well!

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think you can find a Fenix 5 within your price range. Then get a cheap strap, eg from Amazon.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 500 synced with a chest strap
    I use it mostly for cycling. But, if i go runnibg, i put the garmin in a pocket, or in my hand, so i can read it. Same with walking. The question is not cost, but how willing you are to adapt.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    Not meaning to hijack the OP’s discussion but for those Garmin users using a chest strap and putting watch in pocket or somewhere other than wrist, what has been your experience with accuracy and range to get accurate reading?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor is about to bite the dust. I love my Polar watches with a chest strap for EKG heart rate monitoring, but it's time for a new one. I was looking at different types online, and they just seem so complicated now. Hardly anyone makes one with a chest strap anymore, unless they are super expensive ($300-800!). 300 would be my max I'd want to spend, but that just seems so ridiculous, and it better be really amazing for that much money. The wrist-based l monitoring has improved, but it's not what I'm looking for right now. If it has wrist based monitoring, I'd like it to have the ability to sync to a EKG-based chest strap during exercise. I would also like to see my heart rate in real time, and I don't want to carry my phone (I've killed a couple phones with sweat before). My heart rate gets super high at times, like stays at 185+, especially in the heat, so it's important to me to know that I'm pushing myself hard enough, but then know when I'm struggling, be able to check if it's time to back off a bit due to my heart rate. Recommendations?

Check out amazon.. Look for a Polar FT 4 -- Thats the one I have.
    They have new bands that tie into your smart phone. NO more watch.

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Black-Silver/dp/B00WLKH81G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=Polar&qid=1559054464&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what going on with it, but I've had it for about 6 years (I think it's a H1 strap with a RS300 watch), and it loses connection or loses my heart rate a lot (I look down and it says 00 bpm). I've changed the batteries in both the chest strap and the watch, but it still loses my heart rate. I've checked the connections, etc., but it does what it wants, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern for when it'll read and when it won't. Plus, the watch has lost some of its water resistance, so if I forget to take it off before I wash my hands, the watch dies when it gets wet. It seems to be okay with sweat, but not water on the top/face. I also tried checking the seals and tightening the screws. I've been using a Polar for about 14 years, and it didn't use to be this finnicky, so I'm pretty sure it's just time for a new one. Any ideas are appreciated though!

I have heard lots of great things about Garmin. Thanks for the feedback. From what I've read, my chest strap won't sync with some devices due to it being such an old model, but I can certainly try that before getting another chest strap.

When was the last time you cleaned it, with plain unscented soap with hot water.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Not meaning to hijack the OP’s discussion but for those Garmin users using a chest strap and putting watch in pocket or somewhere other than wrist, what has been your experience with accuracy and range to get accurate reading?

Why put the watch in your pocket? I keep the watch on my wrist with our without my strap.
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Why put the watch in your pocket? I keep the watch on my wrist with our without my strap.

Yes, the pocket crossed my mind but I have been strapping it to my chest strap wanting it to be as close as possible. I do this for my KB workouts only because I'd destroy the watch when doing KB cleans and snatch work.

• dewd2
    Options

Yes, the pocket crossed my mind but I have been strapping it to my chest strap wanting it to be as close as possible. I do this for my KB workouts only because I'd destroy the watch when doing KB cleans and snatch work.

What kind of reading do you want while lifting? Confused....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Garmin makes a couple of chest straps for swimming. The signal can't go through water. So the strap has its own memory, when you finish your swim the watch gets the HR data and merges it back in. HRM-Swim for polls with chlorine, and HRM-Tri for everything else. It doesn't actually have to be in the water.

But having HR data won't make the calorie estimate better.
  • pierinifitness
    Options

Like average HR and maximum HR readings to measure against perception. Some of the KB stuff I do it very demanding perception-wise so I find it useful info to get HR stats to help me evaluate how good or bad is my perception.

I remember years ago when doing some tough running workouts, I'd go through a process of evaluating what was my problem when the going got tough. Was it my legs, lungs or mind. Methodically, I concluded it was always my mind.

• AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    @Commander_Keen
    I actually did try cleaning it a couple months ago. I even got out the q-tips and toothpicks to get in all the little cracks, then changed the battery again... unfortunately, there was no change. It would still read as 0 bpm some days, and sometimes says "check wear link." Mostly just reads as a zero.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    @pierinifitness
    Yes, I like to know if I'm just feeling tired that day and need to suck it up, or if my 187 heart rate is holding me back. haha. TMI, but when it sustains at that rate, I get cold chills in my hands and feel like I'm going to lose my bladder. Heart isn't perfusing well at that speed. A lot of times it is my mind though, and if my heart rate is down, I know I need to push harder.

For the lifting question, are the weights hitting your wrist? Is that why you move the watch?
  • AnneGenevieveS
    Options
    I decided to go with the Garmin Forerunner, and I'm sooooo excited for it to arrive in the mail!!!
  • dewd2
    Options

Like average HR and maximum HR readings to measure against perception. Some of the KB stuff I do it very demanding perception-wise so I find it useful info to get HR stats to help me evaluate how good or bad is my perception.

I remember years ago when doing some tough running workouts, I'd go through a process of evaluating what was my problem when the going got tough. Was it my legs, lungs or mind. Methodically, I concluded it was always my mind.

Gotcha. I'm dense sometimes. :smiley:

I haven't tried it anywhere but my wrist but I can't imagine it wouldn't work.