Green smoothie

Options
Hi, does anyone have a go to green smoothie they rely on for a quick weekday breakfast? I've become really bad at eating for breakfast due to time restraints and want to see if smoothies are the way to go. Aiming for around 300 - 400 calories and would prefer not to rely on protein powder. I'm thinking of frozen spinach and berries with Greek yogurt/Skyr, almond milk and some oats. Input most welcome

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Just experiment for combinations you like. I tend to have smoothies lately and really love them, but my concoctions are not necessarily going to appeal to everyone. I tend to add chickpeas or tofu or sometimes white beans for protein, plus some nuts or seeds (cashews make it creamy). Then I add whatever veg are around that would be workable (cucumber, fennel, winter squash, zucchini, cauliflower are all options), then my greens and some fruit. Today's is chickpeas, cauliflower, a bunch of frozen kale, frozen peaches, and strawberries, with hemp seed.

I like adding sage when I do one featuring blueberries (got the idea from blueberry sage ice tea) and I have one I like with watermelon, strawberries, and mint, as well as the other ingredients.

Avocados are good in them as well, and add creaminess.

Mine tend to be about 400 cal, 21-28 g protein, and have a good bit of fat and fiber.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,935 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone have a go to green smoothie they rely on for a quick weekday breakfast? I've become really bad at eating for breakfast due to time restraints and want to see if smoothies are the way to go. Aiming for around 300 - 400 calories and would prefer not to rely on protein powder. I'm thinking of frozen spinach and berries with Greek yogurt/Skyr, almond milk and some oats. Input most welcome

Your recipe sounds fine, but you may wish to add a fat source.

Protein powder is the main source of protein in my green smoothie, but why not? I'd have to use 202 g of Chobani plain Greek yogurt to get the same amount of protein, and PP is more convenient for smoothies.

Like any new recipe, it wouldn't be fast the first time you make it, but I've got it down now, and it takes about 15 minutes, including washing up by hand. Also, I'm getting the greens from my garden so that adds time. You can buy "smoothie blend" greens in some supermarkets.

For an easy 48 calorie reduction, eliminate the flax seeds.

27f52daefee1e7ab3fb5a5f07fb8d1d9.png
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I eat my green smoothie because I like it, but you could add greek yogurt to this since it is very low calorie (just under 200 calories for a large (probably 14-15oz) cup.

1 large banana (about 150g), frozen
    90g spinach, frozen (I buy fresh so I can eat some fresh, and freeze the rest)
    1 cup (240ml) unsweetened almond milk
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Add all ingredients and blend, should be somewhat thick.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love my green smoothie because I can get in more greens (duh) and it gives me lots of energy. I do different variations but it's generally:

60 grams of greens
    100 grams of frozen fruit (blueberry and/or strawberry)
    1/2 cup chocolate almond milk
    Water
    100+ grams cucumber

Mine is never over 200 calories but I don't add fat or protein powder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,935 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't log it above but I use tea to thin mine; otherwise it would be as thick as yogurt.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My go-to green smoothie is: greens (usually spinach or kale), frozen mango and/or pineapple, soy milk, and a splash of coconut cream or a bit of ripe avocado. Sometimes I throw in a couple dates for extra sweetness. To make it more filling I add rolled oats and/or adzuki beans.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    6 Ingredients

1 ounce Blackberries, Raw, Usda 09042
    Usda
    calories 12 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 3Protein 0

28 g Hulled Hemp Seeds Badia Grams 2018
    Badia
    calories 126 Total Fat 14Total Carbs 2Protein 9

60 g Kale, Raw (11233)
    Usda
    calories 21 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 2

10 g Pbfit
    Better Body Food
    calories 42 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 5

4 fluid ounce Whole Milk Kefir
    Home Made
    calories 52 Total Fat 4Total Carbs 1Protein 4

1 frozen banana. (Thawed enough to remove the skin.)

16 oz crushed ice

~ 350 calories.

The purpose of this collection of ingredients is to get pro-biotics, phytonutrients, and protein.
    My most recent preparation of it had deleted the banana. I don't recommend neglecting that, although a mango
    or some other fleshy sort of fruit at 100 or so grams would do just as well.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    6 Ingredients

1 ounce Blackberries, Raw, Usda 09042
    Usda
    calories 12 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 3Protein 0

28 g Hulled Hemp Seeds Badia Grams 2018
    Badia
    calories 126 Total Fat 14Total Carbs 2Protein 9

60 g Kale, Raw (11233)
    Usda
    calories 21 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 2

10 g Pbfit
    Better Body Food
    calories 42 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 5

4 fluid ounce Whole Milk Kefir
    Home Made
    calories 52 Total Fat 4Total Carbs 1Protein 4

1 frozen banana. (Thawed enough to remove the skin.)

16 oz crushed ice

~ 350 calories.

The purpose of this collection of ingredients is to get pro-biotics, phytonutrients, and protein.
    My most recent preparation of it had deleted the banana. I don't recommend neglecting that, although a mango
    or some other fleshy sort of fruit at 100 or so grams would do just as well.

Pro tip. Peel over ripe bananas, slice them, place on a cookie sheet lines with wax paper, place into the freezer. Once frozen, remove from paper and bag. Use at will.

Yup, peel before freezing. I'm lazy so I just split mine in half so it fits into the blender and throw them into a freezer bag together. A few will stick together but since they're in big chunks they're easy to break apart.
  • lovelylosses
    lovelylosses Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies! There's something satisfying about eating a "salad" for breakfast :blush:

My fave combinations:

1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 a frozen banana
    1 cup frozen pineapple
    2-3 cups baby spinach
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp coconut butter

-

1.5 cups unsweetened almond or cashew milk
    1 bunch cilantro
    2 cups frozen pineapple
    1 tbsp coconut butter
    1 cup coconut water

-

1-2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen cherries

Most of my smoothies end up serving 2. I like to try different greens, but I tend to stick with spinach for a neutral flavour, and I also like herbs like cilantro above!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I love cilantro but haven't tried it in a smoothie -- I've used sage and mint and lavender and hyssop and basil, all of which worked well. I have a bunch of cilantro growing so will have to try it soon.