Need to change to survive health issues

A few years ago, I fell in deep depression to the point I isolated myself from the world. My days consisted of sleep, cleaning house, kids, binge watching tv and FOOD AND PEPSI! Two weeks ago, I almost died from diverticulitis attack in my intestine that led to a perforation which is a whole in my intestine. I stayed 10 days hooked up to 5 different antibiotics and still I have to surgery just waiting for the infection to heal so i wont need a poop bag. Im literally, in tears because I ALMOST KILLED MYSELF FROM THE FOOD AND POP I WAS CONSUMING. Thiscis my 1st day home from hospital and Im scared to die and im devoting myself to change the patterns in my life that is destroying me. I now Know that my 326 pounds (before hospital) was result of my inability to face life. I now am 299 pounds and Im feeling scared but yet positive in not dieting but making the necessary changes to not die. SO HERE IS MY DAY 1 IN MYFITNESS PAL. WISH ME LUCK!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:

• 1Pepsicola
    1Pepsicola Posts: 2 Member
    Good luck
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I agreed 100% with Terytha! Take it one day and one meal at a time. Make small changes that are sustainable. You didn't become over-weight in one day, week, month, or year. Don't expect the weight to come off in one day, week, month or year. Take your time and do it in a way that you can continue for the rest of your life.

I would also advise seeing a nutritionist and a therapist--if you aren't already.

Best wishes on your new lifestyle!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Go you! Just work on making more good choices and it will help form new habits that you can carry through life :) Dont stress to hard, Every good choice no matter how small is a choice you wouldnt have made before, And you can be proud in yourself for each and every baby step! you got this :)
  • kimothyschma
    kimothyschma Posts: 209 Member
    Good luck! Congratulations on making a decision to change! I have a long history of eating to feel better when depressed. I just try to remember that the food may taste good while I'm eating it, but as soon as it's gone the bad feelings will come back. It's a hard habit to break. I've been on this journey for over 2 years and I still fight the urge to go snack when one of my kids stresses me out. It's hard to develop new coping mechanisms, but we can do it!
  • cactusdove
    cactusdove Posts: 19 Member
    You can do it. My father suffered from the same thing. He had several surgeries and is now 87 years old. He is a very health man to this day. Best of health to ya.
  • Ellevated
    Ellevated Posts: 182 Member
    You are strong, you can do this!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Good luck! Be strong! Remember life is a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t sweat the small stuff, keep your eye on the goal, a long, healthy, happy life!
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Firstly, big big hugs. Secondly, you've literally just done the hardest part of this journey - the decision to change your life.

This journey isn't a sprint and doesn't have a finish line - it's a lifelong commitment to yourself. You are totally worth it, you are a strong, beautiful, smart and more-than-capable warrior. This journey isn't just a physical one; it's as much about your mental health as your physical. My suggestion is to have a mental health professional helping you too, since you've suffered through depression.

Everyone has a Day One. Mine was looking at a 100+lb loss. I'm almost 40lb down. You will have lots of days of frustrations, you will have lots of days of victory. You will be in awe of what you achieve. Most importantly, you will feel a since of accomplishment each pound you lose.

The MFP community is da bomb - I have learned so much from others on here. We are here to cheer you; to comfort you and most importantly remind you that this journey is a marathon - slow and steady. The process of CICO works, just remember that.

Good luck and we all look forward to hearing about your journey 💕💕💕💕
  • NateHickman
    NateHickman Posts: 1 Member
    Good luck on your journey. Take one day at a time. You will reach your goals.
  • mariekfog
    mariekfog Posts: 1 Member
    The hardest thing is admitting you have a problem and you’ve done that! Now make a plan and no looking back! Best of luck, looks like a great community on here so lots of support to be had along the way!
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Good luck. You’re pretty amazing to take this big step and start your journey. You can do this. The forums are the best for any problems you have