permanent makeup

Options
strapple
strapple Posts: 353 Member
okay girls can i get some female insight here?

my mom won some free permanent eyeliner procedures and wants me to go get it done with her

i thought it might be nice because i love eyeliner but i only wear it like once a week simply because i just dont have time to apply it. so ideally i would wear it daily. when you get it done permanently its just a thin brown line, so if you want it darker or thicker you can always go over it but you'll always have a small faint bit of eyeliner.

i of course, asked my husband his opinion on it first and he simply said "i dont like the idea of anything cosmetic thats permanent. especially because you're already beautiful."

he told me it was my choice, and of course since he's my husband i think his opinion matters. its not like hes just some dude im with. anyways, i really want the procedure but he seemed uncomfortable with it

should i just be glad i have a husband who would rather see me makeupless than with cosmetic surgery of any form?

or should i get it done because i want it and its my body?

im so confused

Replies

• agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    I knew a girl at work that had it done. First off, it was sort of crooked. And one line was much heavier than the other. Then, to top it all off, they both faded pretty quickly. Something like that is pretty risky to worry about what if they mess it up. Just my thought on it and what I've seen.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    He is your husband, however, you have the right to do what you want. Personally, eyeliner is easy enough to apply, and I don't think getting it permanently tattooed is necessary. I usually don't have the time to apply it either, so it would definitely save you some time in the morning!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    husband and wife...the two shall become one....

You are going to be married a very long time...forget the eyebrows!!!

Might be 'free' but would you have thought to have gone and got it done??

I've been married 30years and truly...be thankful he loves you just the way you are:love:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That is a TOUGH one...throw on some eyeliner tomorrow and give him sexy looks all day and see if that changes his opinion...
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I wouldn't get it done. Honestly, I'm sure that the procedure is pretty safe but there are always going to be possible side effects. Is taking 3 seconds to put on eye-liner really too much of a hassel that you feel you need to have it put on permanently? Plus is it worth spending that much money when it really isn't "permanent". It will fade over time and you would have to get it touched up. Just doesn't seem worth it to me at all.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Your husband is a gem. Don't do it. I generally can't stand country music, but this reminds me of a song.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHgbjQYBoko
  • ClassicGirl79
    ClassicGirl79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You absolutely have the right to do what you want. HOWEVER: I work in an assisted living community, and let me just tell you this:

You do NOT want to see that stuff after 50 years! Skin moves around, and inks (and skin pigmentation) fade. If it comes to that, styles change, too. Think of it this way: Would you want to see an 80-year-old woman with hot pink tattooing around where her lips used to be and ice blue stripes across her eyelids? I don't either, but I do every weekday! :-)

Cheers!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tattoos that close to my eyes would not be my first choice. And I'd be paranoid about it not being even, or crooked or whatever.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The thing for me would be, makeup styles change, your own style changes... I wouldn't be comfortable with it for me. I love tattoos and piercings, but I don't think that I would permanently want eyeliner on. What if you dye your hair and want to use a different color of eyeliner.. hmm. Does it fade after a while like tattoos do? What will it look like in 40 years? all things to think about I guess.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My cousin has her eyeliner tattooed. It looks great and I always forget that she had it done and didn't apply it in the morning. I don't know about the husband issue. I would keep talking to him about it and hope he comes around.
  • strapple
    Options
    im so glad to see so much support! as much as i want it, from these perspectives im seeing what a silly thing it is to want when someone who really loves me for who i am thinks it isnt necessary at all! if he loves me daily without eyeliner, then i shouldnt have a need for it.

even though i would like to have it, i think its such a minor thing that if it bothers him...ill let him have this one.

maybe ill wait for permanent eyeliner when im 40 and losing my looks ;} (lmao jk)
  • strapple
    Options
    My cousin has her eyeliner tattooed. It looks great and I always forget that she had it done and didn't apply it in the morning. I don't know about the husband issue. I would keep talking to him about it and hope he comes around.

she didnt have anyone against it?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    ask to see their portfolio of the work they ahve done.

My mom has it and its GREAT, she totally loves it -- but a lot of peopel are very careless or sloppy. She went to a girl who is very very good at it and its so nice -- she basically got a very thin line done. Its actually just dots in between and around her eyelashes so it just fills in and makes your eyelash line look thick and dark.

Then if she wants a heavier makeup look she just puts on makeup.

Ask to see pictures of people they have done and talk to them about it, if they can't show it to your or you don't get a good feeling about them then dont' do it.

Also its not REALLY permanent, its like a few years and then you have to get it redone. so as long as you ask for something that isn't extreme I think you will be happy - they can't really mess up just a thin line above your lashes.

my mom got her eyebrows done too and what she had done is they actually did little short lines in the natural eyebrow, not just a hard solid bar of color, and since she has dark brown hair the esthetician used THREE different brown colors to make those lines. It looks very natural and it basically just darkens the overall look of the eyebrow. Its not actually a fully lined/colored eyebrow.

Anyway I think it CAN be great. Do it if you want it.
  • strapple
    Options
    ask to see their portfolio of the work they ahve done.

My mom has it and its GREAT, she totally loves it -- but a lot of peopel are very careless or sloppy. She went to a girl who is very very good at it and its so nice -- she basically got a very thin line done. Its actually just dots in between and around her eyelashes so it just fills in and makes your eyelash line look thick and dark.

Then if she wants a heavier makeup look she just puts on makeup.

Ask to see pictures of people they have done and talk to them about it, if they can't show it to your or you don't get a good feeling about them then dont' do it.

Also its not REALLY permanent, its like a few years and then you have to get it redone. so as long as you ask for something that isn't extreme I think you will be happy - they can't really mess up just a thin line above your lashes.

my mom got her eyebrows done too and what she had done is they actually did little short lines in the natural eyebrow, not just a hard solid bar of color, and since she has dark brown hair the esthetician used THREE different brown colors to make those lines. It looks very natural and it basically just darkens the overall look of the eyebrow. Its not actually a fully lined/colored eyebrow.

Anyway I think it CAN be great. Do it if you want it.
    this is some great info, thank you!
  • happydeer
    Options
    I've had it done twice -- eyeliner once, just very lightly, to see how it would be and then both eyeliner & brows a little darker. No solid lines, just sort of dashes under my eyebrows and dots on my eyelids. The really important part, though, is that I went for a kind of brownish shade so it never looks harsh. I still have to put eyeliner on it if I want it to look noticeable but it helps define my eyes when I'm really tired from teaching. So, it's not necessarily a big deal, and it can be fun, but it's not worth fighting with anyone about! If your husband really doesn't want it then just stay natural :)
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    you should get this done :)

eyebrow20tattoos20gone2.jpg
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Nothing is going near my eyeballs.
  • NatashaYates86
    NatashaYates86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have my eyeliner, lips, and eyebrows done. I absolutely love it!!! But you do want to make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing. The lady that did mine was actually a nurse and had done it for years. It makes it so easy when I go work out or just need to run somewhere and my make up is already on!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    im so glad to see so much support! as much as i want it, from these perspectives im seeing what a silly thing it is to want when someone who really loves me for who i am thinks it isnt necessary at all! if he loves me daily without eyeliner, then i shouldnt have a need for it.

even though i would like to have it, i think its such a minor thing that if it bothers him...ill let him have this one.

maybe ill wait for permanent eyeliner when im 40 and losing my looks ;} (lmao jk)

CRAP NO! Take it from me, enjoy your youth every day and do the things that make you happy and make you feel better (as long as it's not eating a whole pizza :wink: ). If your husband doesn't really, really care one way or the other, then go with whatever makes you feel best. I have a friend who has it and she's never regretted it. Her husband sort of rolls his eyes at her "self improvement" efforts, but he honestly loves her either way.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would not do it for the main reason that your tastes may change in the future. Over the years I have dramatically changed the way I wear eye makeup; everything from fully lined dark, waterlines, to top only cat eyes, and everything in between.

Even within a week I may choose to do very different looks. I would not want to be stuck with one color in a way that someone else drew it on forever.

blessings.