What is a normal size to be at 5’4.75” and 160 lbs? I am a size 6.

Options
I’m confused about how it is possible to be a size 6 and 160lbs at 5’4.75” - I’ve read a lot of people at that height and weight are a size 10. Also, what is a normal amount of muscle mass for someone else who is 160lbs at 5’5”ish?

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4.5 and am a 10/12 at 140 lbs. I'm bottom-heavy though so I'm guessing that's why I'm at a larger size for my weight. I'm a size 6 dress at 115.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and yeah I was a size 10 at 160.
    I'm a size 8 at 130. I'm envying your muscle right now. lol
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm a little shorter (5'3) but at 160 lb I'm a comfortable size 8. I tend to carrry weight all over my body (and to me i feel squishy, not muscular). I was hoping to get to 140 and be a size 6, but would take a size 6 at 150 lbs for my height.. sooo, you must have some serious muscle and a rockin body for your clothing size vs weight!! 😊
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and when I'm down to 125 lbs, I wear a size 14 ... occasionally I'll get into a size 12.

At 160, size 16 is the most likely one I'll wear. Maybe the occasional 14 depending on the cut and once in a while an 18.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you carry your weight, how you're measuring your "size" (dress, jeans?), and what stores/brands you're shopping. It's a guideline on where to start when trying on things at a store, but I have to size up and down depending on whether something has sleeves or stretch or whether it's a side zip or back zip, so it's kind of silly. I have size 8s, 10s, 12s, and even a 14 in my closet and they all fit.
  • Machka9
    Options
    It really depends on how you carry your weight, how you're measuring your "size" (dress, jeans?), and what stores/brands you're shopping. It's a guideline on where to start when trying on things at a store, but I have to size up and down depending on whether something has sleeves or stretch or whether it's a side zip or back zip, so it's kind of silly. I have size 8s, 10s, 12s, and even a 14 in my closet and they all fit.

Or what country you're in.

• RelCanonical
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes, exactly! We don't even know what country everyone is in. I just recently thoroughly enjoyed a video where an American girl visited Primark in the UK and her and her local friends were trying to figure out what size she was in Primark and it was a lost cause, lol. Even the general "size up" for UK sizes didn't work, lol.
  • Machka9
    Options

Yes, exactly! We don't even know what country everyone is in. I just recently thoroughly enjoyed a video where an American girl visited Primark in the UK and her and her local friends were trying to figure out what size she was in Primark and it was a lost cause, lol. Even the general "size up" for UK sizes didn't work, lol.

Here in Australia, it's a good 2 sizes up from US sizes. But ... it depends. That's not consistent.
  • RelCanonical
    Options

Here in Australia, it's a good 2 sizes up from US sizes. But ... it depends. That's not consistent.

Yeah, sizing is not consistent at all. Men's sizes go by waist size (e.g. 36-inch waist) in the US and even those are not consistent somehow. The shape of the dress compared to the shape of the body can make such a difference too, as I mentioned with my sleeve issue, lol. I'm top-heavy so someone who is more pear-shaped is going to fit differently into clothes even if we were the same height/weight.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Even in the states, it's not consistent from one brand to another. It's super frustrating when you're mid-weight-loss. You get excited because you can wear a smaller size, go to a different brand and it may be two sizes different. Today I'm wearing a blouse that's a medium, but I have extra large in other brands and styles that are too tight.
  • Anasuperfitnow
    Anasuperfitnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5”5’ 130 size 8. I got this scale that estimates bone mass in lbs. it is interesting to see I have “skinny bones” low visceral fat but lots of subcutaneous fat (the worst!) Some people have more fat on arms or bottom of the legs and that accounts for a smaller dress size I guess.
  • AdaMaraNma
    AdaMaraNma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yup, Im 5ft4, 165/166lbs and a size 8/Medium. It could also depend on how stretchy our clothes are.
  • Machka9
    Options

Yeah, sizing is not consistent at all. Men's sizes go by waist size (e.g. 36-inch waist) in the US and even those are not consistent somehow. The shape of the dress compared to the shape of the body can make such a difference too, as I mentioned with my sleeve issue, lol. I'm top-heavy so someone who is more pear-shaped is going to fit differently into clothes even if we were the same height/weight.

I'm a bit more pear-shaped and while I might be able to wear a size 12 top ... or perhaps even 10 when I'm quite light ... there's no way I can do that with my pants, jeans, etc.
  • stormieknott
    stormieknott Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses! To clarify, I am a size 6 in pants in the US, I shop at brands like Levi’s, Madewell, and AG jeans. All my dresses just say medium. I do think I’m an apple shape so maybe that contributes. I do have muscle but I definitely look soft, like a “thick girl.” My calculated body fat is 26% and my lean body mass is 114lbs. Just trying to think realistically about myself and understand where I am in the context of this world haha.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses! To clarify, I am a size 6 in pants in the US, I shop at brands like Levi’s, Madewell, and AG jeans. All my dresses just say medium. I do think I’m an apple shape so maybe that contributes. I do have muscle but I definitely look soft, like a “thick girl.” My calculated body fat is 26% and my lean body mass is 114lbs. Just trying to think realistically about myself and understand where I am in the context of this world haha.

Hey, how were you able to calculate your body fat % and lean body mass? I would like to try that too.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    At 160 & 5'5, I was a size 4. But I carry my weight all over and I suspect I'm more like a noodle person (minus the bust). At 144 (latest weight), I'm anywhere from a 0-2, except if the legs are really narrow in non-stretchy pants since I still have weight to lose in my legs and they don't quite match my waist/hip size. Or if the bust is made in a way that I can't get my top in.

I've just started toedipping into XS/S in tops, though depending on cut, I may need a medium.

I'm going to Paris and London soon and I'm hoping to find some cute European things! I am not sure what size I'll be there, but I'mma TRY.

My last DEXA scan had me at 32% body fat, so I've still got some BF to lose, too. I'm very close to my end goal, however!
  • Leannedoddy
    Leannedoddy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It depends what country you live in? A size 6 USA is a size 8 in the Uk? I am 5ft 4 - 136 pounds and a uk size 8 but i have a curvy figure - i wouldnt really go off clothes sizes as we are all different - ! just go off how you feel in yourself! :-)