Daily Sugar allotment very low

Options
Hey there,

Does anyone else find the daily sugar allotment to be very low. I find it impossible, even when eating small portions of good healthy food to keep within 40 grams of sugar a day. Almost always by lunch time I'm at the limit. I don't crave it or need it, but it seems impossible to stay under it.

If I'm exercising an hour everyday does it matter? It's not sugar from candy, it's naturally occurring sugars in the healthy foods I'm eating.

Thanks.

B.

Replies

• chandhole
    Options
    Hey there,

Does anyone else find the daily sugar allotment to be very low. I find it impossible, even when eating small portions of good healthy food to keep within 40 grams of sugar a day. Almost always by lunch time I'm at the limit. I don't crave it or need it, but it seems impossible to stay under it.

If I'm exercising an hour everyday does it matter? It's not sugar from candy, it's naturally occurring sugars in the healthy foods I'm eating.

Thanks.

B.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Good question, I always go over on sugar even when I am not eating anything particularly sugary.

Who has the answer?? :drinker:
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    I believe the daily sugar allotment is added grams of sugar to food, not naturally occuring sugars found in food. I eat a fair amount of fruit, and this is naturally occuring sugar, but it always puts me over the limit, but I don't worry too musch about it. Just be concerned with the sugar in processed foods. :flowerforyou:
  • chandhole
    Options
    Ah, see now that makes sense and makes me feel better about going over. I'm still trying to keep it in the ballpark but going over isn't as troubling now.

Cheers!
    :drinker:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    well if you are eating fruit -and you should be, tons of it-then you'll be over on sugar and that is totally fine. There's nautral sugar in whole grains and some veggies too, so if thats where the sugar is coming from then your golden. If its from your coffee, jif, salad dressing, etc. then I'd start watching your intake more carefully
  • marc4
    marc4 Posts: 79
    Options
    Great question!!!!!!!! I love fruit and I haven't been eating it for this exact reason.........YIPPEE......BANANA, APPLE, ORANGE, GRAPES.........HERE I COME....

Kelly:smile:
  • chandhole
    Options
    Yep, that's where it comes from. I've cut out all the bad stuff and reduced serving sizes. I figured if I was eating fruits, veg and grains it was ok. Thanks for helping me understand.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother looking at my sugar grams anymore - the site (and every other site like this I've looked into) does not separate natural sugars like those found in fruit and the added sugars we should be trying to avoid. I know what I'm eating and I eat a lot of fruit so I will NEVER have a sugar reading of what MFP thinks I should have - I'm typically over 100g/day
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Great question!!!!!!!! I love fruit and I haven't been eating it for this exact reason.........YIPPEE......BANANA, APPLE, ORANGE, GRAPES.........HERE I COME....

Make sure you are eating protein with any fruit...................cheese, peanut butter.
  • Teach381
    Options

Make sure you are eating protein with any fruit...................cheese, peanut butter.

Yup, I love me some apple and string cheese:laugh:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, on Thursday's my boss buys everybody something from Tim Hortons so I get a Strawberry Yogurt & Berries and I'm almost over on my sugar for the day.
  • krystyn13
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post as I just added the "sugar" column to my Diary but was distressed in seeing it go over every.single.day. Now I can delete that column and focus on the others. Thank you!! :smile:
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For quite a while I've struggled to keep my total sugar intake down and have been very careful and selective in the choice and quantity of fruits in my diet.

I'm surprised that most sources of reference seem to make no distinction between sugar naturally present and added sugar.
    This only seems to leave concern over sugar which is added without this being obvious.

Since I don't add sugar to anything and the vast majority of my fruit intake is in its natural state, it would appear I can enjoy the taste and benefit of fruit in rather greater quantities.

Many thanks for raising this question and to those who responded.
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    I was very concerned with this because I am close to being borderline diabetics, I love fruits and veggies and just posted on here I had 3 baby carrots and it had 5g of sugar in it, was wondering if that is good with my condition
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    Glad I read this,, I have been going crazy tryin to figure this out, I was just about to cut out my afternoon apple but my problem was what to replace it with, I have been trying to limit sugar at the same time eat more whole food,,well the grapes, orange and apple were going to have to go but I love them,,,thanks for the info,,I am going to try to get a bit more veggies but glad I can keep my fruit
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.