Squat weight same as split squat?

alexmose
alexmose Posts: 792 Member
Sooo my split squat weight has matched my squat weight. This happen to anyone else?

Replies

• Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Yep! I used to hate split squats, now I love them. At some point as I progress it is normal for me to hit the same weight for each. I do think I progress a bit quicker with splits, then I “catch up” with back squats. It’s back and forth for me.
  • alexmose
    Yep! I used to hate split squats, now I love them. At some point as I progress it is normal for me to hit the same weight for each. I do think I progress a bit quicker with splits, then I “catch up” with back squats. It’s back and forth for me.

Yay we are normal 😊
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Split squats? Where you put one foot on a bench behind you and basically squat on one leg? Nope. My back squat is much higher
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Split squats? Where you put one foot on a bench behind you and basically squat on one leg? Nope. My back squat is much higher

Same here, no way I could split squat even half what I back squat. Was doing trx split squats on Friday with a weighted vest (think it was around 20kg) and my legs were cramping after the 3rd set of 15. Can easily back squat 45kg after a 5month break and was back squatting 70-75kg
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    OP, are you going progressively heavier with your back squats? Or just using light weight high reps? I'm pretty sure I would wind up tearing something badly if I tried to use my squat weight for split squats...
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »

Same here, no way I could split squat even half what I back squat. Was doing trx split squats on Friday with a weighted vest (think it was around 20kg) and my legs were cramping after the 3rd set of 15. Can easily back squat 45kg after a 5month break and was back squatting 70-75kg

Yeah they do a pretty good number on me too.
  • alexmose
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    OP, are you going progressively heavier with your back squats? Or just using light weight high reps? I'm pretty sure I would wind up tearing something badly if I tried to use my squat weight for split squats...

Sorry perhaps wrong term. I meant lunge weight. One foot in front of the other. No bench. Yes progressive overload. Heavy weights. Currently 130 lbs for both. BW: 114 Bf is 19.7%
  • DancingMoosie
    Smith machine or free weights?
  • alexmose
    Smith machine or free weights?

Barbell
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Not even close.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Yeah, since you're focusing on one leg, the weight should be lower than what you do with 2 legs at the same time. If not, then your back squat isn't challenging enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • alexmose
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yeah, since you're focusing on one leg, the weight should be lower than what you do with 2 legs at the same time. If not, then your back squat isn't challenging enough.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agree. I guess I should up my squat weight? Altho I can barely get out 3 sets of 8 reps
  • DancingMoosie
    Can you do 3 sets of 8 lunges on each leg at 130?
  • alexmose

Yep
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    alexmose wrote: »

Yep

Then it could be your squat form that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • alexmose
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    alexmose wrote: »

Yep

Then it could be your squat form that's the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

*kitten* i think you’re right.
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    I still haven’t made it to 100 pds yet with squats, so it makes sense one day the difference between the two will be greater.