Forgot to eat “just never did”

Options
crowleyed72
crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
So when life gets busy, you over sleep, don’t take time out to eat. At the end of the day an what you have eaten was healthy but your calories are too low. Do you wait till the next Day an do better. Or eat a high calorie snack. Even thou it’s late

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    if it happens very occasionally (one every say two weeks max) then i wouldn't force the food.

if this is happening once a week or more i'd address the larger issue and plan more appropriately have have quick decent high calorie go to options. there are some very good bars and such.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    For me the secret is to set a bare minimum for any day that I can see will be a lower day. I do this because under eating too much will mean my energy level will be lower the next day and I might be so hungry I go over enough for both days. I also never allow myself to be at a minimum 2 days in a row. I force myself to eat more the second day. Lastly, if needed, I use Friday as my adjustment day to make sure my 7 day average is good. Friday is a good time for pizza or some other higher calorie meal option.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If it's just a rare thing, I wouldn't eat if not hungry. If you are routinely undereating, then I'd set a schedule to stick to and eat more earlier in the day (and consider whether the undereating might be intentional in some way).
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have days that I'm just not very hungry so I definitely eat less some days. My personal rule is that I'm not allowed to eat under 1,200 calories. So if I haven't reached that number I'll have either a fruit bowl topped with crunchy cereal and nuts or maybe toast with peanut butter.

Personally I want to feel my best every single day and for me that includes eating at least 1,200 every day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to eat late at night. This is a common myth. A calorie at 10 am is the same as a calorie at 10 pm.

If you have a rare day of moderate undereating, then I wouldn’t worry about it. However, you sound like this is routine. In that case, you need to plan your food so you get your minimum calories every day. If you’re only eating one or two meals a day, make them bigger. Add more high calorie/low volume foods like butter, oil, peanut butter, etc. if you genuinely aren’t hungry but are still under your calories. Keep snacks with you in case you forget your lunch. Set a timer on your phone to remind you to eat.
  • MamaKL5
    MamaKL5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I'll usually make a peanut butter sandwich (which for me is always just one slice of bread...don't know why, I've always preferred just one slice folded over and heated...so good), but if I'm not hungry I just won't bother. I pre-log my dinners (eaten at work), so sometimes mine is just a matter of not feeling like eating a particular snack I'd packed and logged. In those cases, I will almost always eat something else when I get home.
  • crowleyed72
    Options
    I’m setting myself up for a woo-lashing but it amazes me the number of posts I read where people talk about having a hard time eating and getting their calories but they had no problem before that likely resulted in excess weight gain.

I do understand, however, that this “problem” is more common with Keto practitioners. I believe it’s nothing more than a hiccup in a journey of losing weight.

Appetites have an amazing ability of asserting themselves. To me, it seems like nothing to be concerned about.

Ducking for cover.

No need to duck at all lol.... For me it is eating more healthy food. A lot of the “bad foods” don’t fill you up an you get hungry again faster. For example before now just guessing I’d have like 60% fat 30% carbs an 10% protein an never really satisfied now it a more balanced. I think that makes a difference on fullness. My wife used to eat usually just once a day an not healthy now she is doing better to.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yea I wish I could"forget" to eat once in awhile :(
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I am always amazed by people who “forget” to eat. It boggles my mind that this happens, because it has never happened to me, and I wish it would.

Me to, completely baffled by the idea of it. It is in everyone's best interests that I eat regularly!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I am always amazed by people who “forget” to eat. It boggles my mind that this happens, because it has never happened to me, and I wish it would.

Same. My blood pressure drops if I go too long without eating, and my dizziness would remind me pretty quickly.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yea this never happens to me lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Yea I wish I could"forget" to eat once in awhile :(

It used to happen to me all the time while I was gaining weight. I would get so into a project I would lose all track of time and before I realized it I had missed lunch and it was already 3pm or later. It is one of the things I had to change in order to be successful losing weight.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    One thing to make sure about is that you are not "forgetting" to eat because of a fear of food or of eating too much instead. This is not a healthy way to handle things and can lead to disordered thinking about food and calories. That is what happened to me. I was always under my calories (yay?) but it wasn't healthy. I was afraid to eat a snack because what if something changed in my next meal and suddenly I didn't have those calories to make changes. So I would skip the snack, then eat the planned meal, and then not want to eat at night so I always ended up low. Too low.

This is why I now have a wonderful therapist that has a background in food disorders and I am no longer counting calories.

So just be careful that it doesn't change from "Oops, I got busy and forgot" to "But if I eat that snack that gives me less calories for later even though I already logged it but what if something changes?"
  • crowleyed72
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    One thing to make sure about is that you are not "forgetting" to eat because of a fear of food or of eating too much instead. This is not a healthy way to handle things and can lead to disordered thinking about food and calories. That is what happened to me. I was always under my calories (yay?) but it wasn't healthy. I was afraid to eat a snack because what if something changed in my next meal and suddenly I didn't have those calories to make changes. So I would skip the snack, then eat the planned meal, and then not want to eat at night so I always ended up low. Too low.

This is why I now have a wonderful therapist that has a background in food disorders and I am no longer counting calories.

So just be careful that it doesn't change from "Oops, I got busy and forgot" to "But if I eat that snack that gives me less calories for later even though I already logged it but what if something changes?"

It was a I forgot to got so busy doing this an that just never did till the evening. Woke up late ran out the door an was go go go all day. The old me would of went to a fast food joint an grabbed a combo meal. Maybe I should grabbed a kids meal, smaller portions an all. I spent many years in the Army an had days like this then had a 2500 calorie MRE in the evening or whenever we had a chance to eat on an trust me we burnt those calories off.
  • jessiicaa
    jessiicaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish I would forget to eat once in a while lol. I think about it all the time :(