Thickness of slice of home-baked breads?

Wife and I like to bake different breads periodically. Looking at the nutrition info, they always say X cal per slice, but don't define the thickness of a slice. There doesn't seem to be a solid definition of a slice online, either. Anyone know?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Yes I would use the recipe builder and then go by weight - at least the first time.

So if your loaf weighs 1kg and it makes 10 slices, call each slice 100 g.

If you then make same loaf and cut it into 10 slices each time, then I wouldn't weigh every time but just assume each averages same weight.
    Or you could weigh them every time if you want to be exact.

• AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Awesome, guys! I'll try your suggestions. Thank you.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I weigh the total and enter the grams as the number of servings in recipe builder. Then I weigh each slice and enter the grams.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I weigh the total and enter the grams as the number of servings in recipe builder. Then I weigh each slice and enter the grams.

This is what I do.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

This is what I do.

Yeah, I actually find this more convenient than dividing it into serving sizes, especially if I'm sharing with others. I don't have to math anything, I just log the scale weight.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    use a scale even on labels with defined calories per serving. There will always be a variance.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    use a scale even on labels with defined calories per serving. There will always be a variance.

the OP is talking about homemade food...so there are no labels