Struggling

Im finding it hard to find time to do a workout dvd.
What things can i do around the house to help lose weight,
I was thinking of just randomly doing jumping jacks and or jogging on the spot each time i go the loo.

Replies

• kypin00
    kypin00 Posts: 9 Member
    Many things you can do around the house, the key is to get your heart rate up a bit higher. Mopping the floors as an example, while normally you may kind of idley do this, try increasing the work you put into it to increase your Heart rate.

Personally was never fond of doing work out DVD's, would recommend rather going for a walk with a friend or loved one, take the dogs out or whatever. A good BRISK walk can burn quite a few calories and give you more energy. You could do a walk/fun run in your area with the family and get everyone participating and out meeting people, these are normally not that expensive and give you a goal to shoot for (say a 1-3 mile walk). Most running events offer a walking catagory and it can be a good motivator.

I started out at 225 lbs from sitting behind a desk all day for 10 years, now I'm down to 206 lbs, run 16 miles a week, and occasionally ride my bike to work. While none of that is for everyone, I've been humbled by people much older and much larger than me that can do the runs I'm doing.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Anything that helps you work up a sweat. Housework is one of the options. I used to be lazy with the housework, but I feel like I'm cheating if I just do the light / moderate effort, so now I move the furniture to vacuum, reach high with the duster, really put the elbow grease into scrubbing etc. - so I count it!

I've done a couple of exercise videos, but to be honest, the house gets too much traffic for this to be a good solution for me, so I do have some exercise equipment for bad weather, and I really try to get out and just walk most days. The important thing is to start moving.

I have one MFP friend who runs in place. I have another who just turns on some fast music, pulls the shades and dances around. Whatever works for you! Good luck.
  • LisaLove240786
    LisaLove240786 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey, I find workout DVD's boring after a while, ive got about 3!! I have managed to lose 20lbs in 9/10 weeks, i know everyone is different and will lose weight at all sorts of paces but this is what i have been doing. I started out doing my wii fit exercise with has aerobics, yoga and muscle work outs plus it lets you test your BMI everyday so you can see your results which i find really helps, once i started losing the pounds i bought a Slendertone belt from argos (£39.99) and began using this 5 days a week as well as doing the wii fit exercise then once my body got used to exercing i have began jogging twice a week for 20 minutes a time, all this has worked a treat as well as eating healthy but still treating myself at the weekend, slowly your body will become used to the foods and exercise and when eating a mcdonalds instead of putting 5lbs on i only every usually put on around 1.5lb at a weekend (this includes going out drinking, eating curries etc) its so easy to shift that plus more in the week. Hope this little advice works
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Thank You!!
    With 3 children and one being diabetic, doesnt give me much time to myself.
    But if i can get them up dancing with me should keep them entertained for a while.

and in a few weeks ill be doing 3 school trips at 45mins each time
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Take your kids out back or to the parka nd play with them. you will burn a lot if you keep moving.