"Wii Fit" vs. "Kinect"

Options
I really would like to get a Wii fit or the xbox Kinect to help with working out. Right now I don't have any gaming devices and I only really plan on using it for the workouts.

What one has better workout games? Which one should I buy??

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    if you can afford the extra i would go the kinect.

it tracks the entire body. can even do your measurements.

the wii fit is good, but you will get a better work out and better trackign with a kinect (i have the wii)
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    if you can afford the extra i would go the kinect.

it tracks the entire body. can even do your measurements.

the wii fit is good, but you will get a better work out and better trackign with a kinect (i have the wii)

agreed. I sweat everytime I play the games and it usually doesn't take much time to get a good workout since you are moving your entire body.
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have both, and the Kinect is definitely a better work out. The wii is good if you need to start slow or can't do a lot of physical activity, or have very limited space. The kinect requires a lot of open space, 6-10 feet directly back from the TV, and about 8 feet wide, and a significant amount of light in order for it to properly read your movements. But the kinect will get your heart rate up there! The dancing games, Zumba, sports, and adventure games are great work outs! I want to get a boxing game, and EA Sports, but I haven't tried them out yet =)
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have had both & am sold with Kinect. It has been virtually my sole source of getting off my butt. Costs more but is worth it. Obviously the better AV you have too the better the experience.

Check a recent blog post by me if you like that gives all my thoughts on the topic inc games and what not:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/W0zzie

Cheers
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have wii and it is crap.
  • kristenklus
    Options
    Thanks everyone...looks like the Kinect is the favorite. I am going to ask my husband if I lose 50lbs, if I can treat myself by buying it.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii, but I don't play fit. Some of the better games for weight loss are my personal trainer, or EA Active personal trainer and I've been told but haven't actually played this one myself Wii Zumba.
  • Texas_Southpaw
    Texas_Southpaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kinect all the way. I got mine like a few weeks ago, and it can (and does) tire you after a while.

MNSMITH83,

I have the Kinect Sports game, and it has a VERY simplified version of boxing. There is also a UFC trainer game that involves no fighting, but punching exercises. fyi
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have wii and it is crap.

its not crap at all. i can burn a good 200 or so on the wii fit. and the ea active and UFC would probably be even better.

the kinect is a better option if you can afford it.

plus the wii fit has its own scale.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I found that wil the Wii have to hold the controls was too much of a hassle. Plus on the Wii Fit there is a leg strap that I could never get to stay up when I was running. So I kept having to stop and readjust.

I then got the Kinect and have no issues at all. I think that the total body tracking is amazing. The only complaint I have is the room needed for it. It wants you to be at least 4-6 feet away. I jimmy rigged my on a high shelf so the height makes it think it is farther away then it is.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    We have a small living space and my hubby and I both had over 100 to loose. We got a Wii Fit last spring and my hubby has lost 30 pounds and I have lost 47. I was in very bad shape and I love the way Wii Fit eased me into exercising. I highly recommend it. And I am the living proof that it works.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii but have never used the exercise "games." Funny thing, I break a sweat playing the boxing or bowling games that aren't even specifically for weight loss or exercise...

I would never say that the Wii is crap and have to laugh at the fact that someone else did in this thread. It might not be what everyone is looking for, but that doesn't make it crap at all.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii.Well I got it before the Kinect was even sold, so I didn't have to decide. But anyways I think I would have decided for the Wii. Nearly all my games are fitness or exercise games and I really like them. They are fun, hard exercise and I actually never had any problems with it.

I use the following exercise games:
    - Wii Fit Plus
    - Your Shape (you use this one with a camera, that comes with the game)
    - EA Sports Active More Workouts
    - EA Sports Active 2
    - ExerBeat

I also like to play other Wii games, that ar more fun than exercise, but you still get all sweaty. (Michael Jackson the Experience, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Mario and Sonic Olymic Games, Don King Boxing)

I can only recommand the Wii! You can get a wide variety of games with various equipement. I really like it!
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a wii fit I really enjoy it. I also have zumba and I want to get My Fitness Coach!
    My OH has a kinect and you need a lot of room for it to track you. It is so awkward and you always have to re-align yourself but I would get it if I had the money!
    :)
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit and kinect. Kinect is definitely a lot better.
  • Hilary_85
    Hilary_85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If u only want to use it for the work outs I suggest finding a workout dvd that you enjoy bc honestly its better then a gaming system in my opinion. I have zumba on my ps3 and dvd and I prefer the dvd. Also have heard the biggest loser dvds are good!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Kinect is the better piece of hardware! However the lack of games is a let down. I personally didn't like any of the workout games. I loved Dance Central and Kinect Sports. Both will give you a workout! But they got boring, fast!

So honestly..If you want it strictly for workouts I would probably find a good workout on dvd program. It will be so much cheaper! For ex. P90X will cost you around $120 dollars plus a few extra's so we'll say $160. As were kinect will cost you at least double that because you gotta buy the system, kinect and the games!