Tracking calories while traveling for work

Options
Any advice on tracking caloric intake while traveling for work? I spend pretty much M-F away from home and while I find it easy to find time to work out, it’s tougher to track what I’m actually eating at different restaurants. Any chains someone would suggest or tips on eating while away from home?

Thanks!

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I just ballpark it best I can and make sure I walk a lot on the hotel treadmill or around town. I’ll find a way to weight train many times as I can to

Traveling 9 days next week. There a nearby gym I’ll go get a week pass at
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Chains and even some smaller places have nutrition posted online. Counter service like Chipotle and Panera are up and a good start. Ball parking is ok when you need to, but if it is super regular, I would make a plan
  • arigarcia85
    arigarcia85 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Appreciate the comments...make a plan how exactly?

Working on the road usually involves a lot of team dinners which is basically a social requirement at this point. While I might be ok to do research on lunch spots, random dinner places will be tougher to get nutritional info on.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the comments...make a plan how exactly?

Working on the road usually involves a lot of team dinners which is basically a social requirement at this point. While I might be ok to do research on lunch spots, random dinner places will be tougher to get nutritional info on.

In situations where the nutritional information isnt readily available I stick to foods where I can see each ingredient to log it. For instance, I will get a grilled chicken breast or fish filet with veggies or a sandwich and log each component individually. I typically log a teaspoon of oil as well since the ingredients I log dont include that but it's safe to assume they use it. Unless its preplanned and I've got wiggle room in my macros I'll avoid foods where I can't see the ingredients like dips, pasta sauces, mashed potatoes, etc. I also always ask for any sauces or dressings on the side. Go for foods where you are familiar with what a serving size is. I make enough chicken and rice on my own to guesstimate what 4oz of chicken or a cup of rice looks like. Close enough is going to have to do though.
  • arigarcia85
    arigarcia85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks so much. Serving size is where I feel like I’ll struggle the most. Again I appreciate the help and will be sure to provide an update.