Bulimia?

Options
So I have never posted anything before but I feel this is important enough to write about and ask for advice.
I was overweight all my life, even as a child. I found bulimia at 14 and lost about 50 lbs in 6 months. I am now 26, have had one kiddo and now am dancing with the bulimia temptation again. I just drank too much alcohol and had one too many snacks and threw it all up. But I brushed my teeth after! I gotta say I am liking the fact that I don't have to log those calories. The one and only thing that keeps me from it is the fear of gagging to death or choking. I can't bear the thought of someone finding me dead by a toilet full of my own vomit. Sickening. But really how often does that even happen? I drink a ton of water afterward and take a multi vitamin and fish oil everyday. How much danger would I be in to start doing it every so often? Am I completely mental?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't do it! There are sooo many reasons you shouldn't :/
  • ChChCharlie
    Options
    Brushing your teeth STRAIGHT after is the worst thing you can do! Your teeth have just been attacked by acid you need to give it at least 20mins before you brush or you're gonna ruin your teeth! Sugar free gum!

Or,... Don't start the bulimia thing at all, please... It's not good. :(
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This is very unhealthy thinking. It's not a sustainable way of living. I urge you to look into getting help. The sooner you do, the better off you'll be.

There is a National Eating Disorders Helpline...
    1-800-931-2237
    http://www.edap.org/get-help-today/
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    GIRL :( I know eating disorders are such a huge struggle if you've dealt with them before, but it's not worth it to go down that road. Making yourself sick might help you reach a short term goal, but it will seriously harm your body and mind in the long run if you keep doing it. The fact that you have to ask if it's mental means you know that it is! Don't do it.
  • kristenk0826
    Options
    Hey Jenny,

I can tell you a few things from experience. Number one, you may not be mental, but you do need help. I find myself justifying my bulimic tendencies.. and I need help. The thing is, you, like me, have had a major problem with food since you were young. (It was around 12 for me, that I began my disordered eating.) Usually, we binge because we can't process our emotions in a healthy way. And a lot of times, things can happen to us that actually bring on ED. I'm urging you to go to www.somethingfishy.org and read some of the stories of girls who died because of their ED. Remember, you have a child now. The only option you have now is to go find a therapist, and try to work through this. You don't want your babe growing up without their mother... and you don't want them to know what it's like to have a "sick" mommy. You can add me if you like, I love to connect with people that share my struggle.

I have Binge Eating Disorder and sometimes I have Bulimia episodes, in case you're wondering. I hope you get better soon. :)
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have a sister with bulemia (not the one on mfp).
    Of course people die from it - I have had two personal friends who have - you just have to look out for it and you will find it :(

I am not talking from personal experience, but I believe it is like smoking - once you do it once, you become less and less in control of how often it happens after that.

If you value your family (who will be worried silly), or yourself (and all the body parts that will be deteriorating every time you do it) then my opinion is you should fight hard to stay on the wagon!
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've met few women you had new front teeth due to this affliction. Please get help or join a support group. Personally, I go to the Over Eater's and Gambler's Anonymous support groups.

10515637.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is very unhealthy thinking. It's not a sustainable way of living. I urge you to look into getting help. The sooner you do, the better off you'll be.

There is a National Eating Disorders Helpline...
    1-800-931-2237
    http://www.edap.org/get-help-today/

What he said. Taso is the voice of reason. I wish you love, luck and happiness but you must grasp this by the horns and take it on girl and get help to do that.
  • leopardvice
    Options
    i can tell you ive struggled with the same problems, somehow being pregnant with my first baby helped me because i knew i had to be healthy for her. i am still trying to lose all the weight ive gained with pregnancy but ive been making healthy choices instead of snacking and puking. i have made myself sick a couple times... old habits die hard. but im getting better and i know you can too! you will feel so much better about yourself if you can eat right and exercise. i hope youre able to be strong and if not seek help hun there is nothing wrong with that. good luck to you.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    oh, dear...let us pray ;)
  • FattySins
    Options
    Your son will pick up very quickly what is going on, and this will become 'normal' for him. Please don't do him this disservice. Show him what healthy living is all about, and what pleasure there is in being this way. Wishing you best of luck, and hoping you can work through these issues.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You need help, being sick wont stop you body from absorbing the calories from the food!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    YES IT IS EXTREAMLY DANGEROUS>>DO NOT START IT AGAIN. Trust me I am in the hospital for the 4th time. I started with bulimia and now have anorexia and still purge. I cant tell you all the awful things that I have done to my body. The worst being almost dies 2 different times..seriously if you waant to know more send me a message. Really this disease has screwed up my life..I wouldnt suggest it to anyone. Please be good to yourself!