Family genealogy?

emeraldwoods4214
emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
Anyone gotten into the genealogy craze?
Found any really interesting things about your ancestors?
I found out (through my dad’s research) that I’m related to Meriwether Lewis.... you know, from Lewis and Clark?! Kinda cool 😋

Replies

• Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    I know who I am
    Breaking bones and knocking at
    cemetery gates
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    My family has the best jeans around
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I want to do the 23 and me, I'm curious about the diseases and stuff I may be more disposed to.
    I think it would be fun to do one of the ancestry ones and compare it to my brothers results.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I evolved from Stardust.

.... and a few educated hillbillies.

Okay, mostly hillbillies

( and there’s a few war heros sprinkled in the mix; that’s kinda cool. )

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    My great great grandmother, Sophie Simon, was a Jewish Irish horse thief who stowed away on the Queen Mary, arriving at Ellis Island on June 6, 1944. She went on to become Mrs.Fields of mall cookie fame.

That’s what they told me.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT
    LeGaCyGiAnT Posts: 66 Member
    Ancestry has a free 14 day trial I believe. The fact that I was able to find my great great grandparent's on my dad's side's death certificates is amazing. My grandfather (dad's dad) who's still alive has a ton of ancestry memorabilia, wedding certificates, my great great grandfather's US citizenship papers, etc. I love this kind of stuff!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I was into it a few years ago. The most interesting stuff was in my wife's family tree. Her ancestors include a prominent churchman who is buried in Westminster Cathedral, London. Before that, it includes the first British land speculator after the British bought Long Island from the Dutch. She's a few cousin steps away from Al Gore. We live in a Texas county named for one of her relatives.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    I found out I'm not completely white.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,852 Member
    i’ve thought about doing 23 and me with stolen dna samples from family members so i can blow lid off some skeletons in the ancestral closet but decided the risk of government getting its hands on my genetic info wasnt worth it

If heaps of people in your family have done it you might already be compromised. You can be somewhat constructed through the metadata. Have u heard about the Golden State Killer?

I haven’t done it, my Aunt is really into that stuff and my Dad too. It’s pretty fascinating tho...apparently my family had owned some island belong to the Nederlands buts it’s under water now haha.
  • minniemouse45m4333
    minniemouse45m4333 Posts: 48 Member
    I traced my husband's ancestry back to Pochahontas and Chief Powhantan.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    My many greats aunt was married to Daniel Boone for 2 weeks, but never lived with him.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    i’ve thought about doing 23 and me with stolen dna samples from family members so i can blow lid off some skeletons in the ancestral closet but decided the risk of government getting its hands on my genetic info wasnt worth it

tenor.gif

If heaps of people in your family have done it you might already be compromised. You can be somewhat constructed through the metadata. Have u heard about the Golden State Killer?
    Well, crap.

• Glazed_and_Confused
    I've never done it but my extended family dabbled in it. Never heard anything super interesting. The oddest thing about my family is my dad's side has a rare last name. Like everyone with the name we've found online is my family. We haven't found anyone else, even outside the US. My hub jokes that we have a sketchy past and is convinced some bad *kitten* went down and they made up new names.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I want to do the 23 and me, I'm curious about the diseases and stuff I may be more disposed to.
    I think it would be fun to do one of the ancestry ones and compare it to my brothers results.

There's a pretty large percentage of error. I read some article that identical twins did it and got vastly different results. I still am so tempted to try it though.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    I’m adopted, my biological mother was adopted also.
    I would like to know but don’t feel comfortable having my DNA in some government database.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My mom's hobby since high school was genealogy so I know a bit about our family. We are not related to anyone famous. No rich people. Our relatives were always plain farmers who had a bunch of kids (like 10 was common) until my grandparent's generation started leaving farming and toning down the number of kids to 2 or 3.

A relative may have revenge murdered the guy who killed his father during the time of the Civil War. That is the family story not something that was proven.

I have not done dna testing and don't know if anyone in my family has.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    My great great grandmother, Sophie Simon, was a Jewish Irish horse thief who stowed away on the Queen Mary, arriving at Ellis Island on June 6, 1944. She went on to become Mrs.Fields of mall cookie fame.

@your_future_ex_wife

what ?!?

awesome....

Cookies For Everyone On MFP !!!
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@your_future_ex_wife

what ?!?

awesome....

Cookies For Everyone On MFP !!!

After we storm the beach at Normandy
  • paulmasson40
    paulmasson40 Posts: 8 Member
    Cool thread. I actually LIVE in Lewis and Clark's St Louis. There's reminders all over the place