Eating out?

gpidco
gpidco Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, I am curious to know what I am supposed to do when eating out! I never know what to choose!
#pleaseshareyourtips

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    I'm not sure what the question is exactly but surely you would choose what you enjoy?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    What is your goal? (Ex: lose x pounds?)
    What is your goal when choosing food so we can help in your choices?

how often are you eating out?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    If the place has nutritional information online look it up in advance. If they do not you can look up similar dishes from othsr restaurants to get an idea.

If you want lower calorie watch out for things like portion sizes, breaded, fried, cheese, bacon, creamy sauces or gravy, salad dressings, nuts, seeds, guacamole, sugary foods, drinks. Try a thinner crust pizza. Eat more vegetables. Choose lower or no calorie drinks. Use some common sense and don't get a bacon triple cheeseburger, huge fries, giant soda pop and a peanut butter shake and expect it to be a low calorie meal.

If portions are large you might share with someone else or pack up half to take home for the next day.
    Eat something you are going to like. Don't be miserable with a salad with no dressing and a glass of water. It is possible to have a decent meal for 400-600 calories at a restaurant.
    If it is not every day you might bank some calories for the day by eating slightly less a few days, eat lighter the rest of the day or exercise a bit more.
    You might just have a maintenence calorie day.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    I know what I am going to order before I walk into the front door. Sometimes the nutritional info is only available on the internet anyway and the phone is too hard to read. The social pressure to order quickly when the waitress is waiting or standing in line can be completely avoided and the best food choices are made.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Another trick is to order a to-go box to come when your meal is delivered. Then before taking a bite, put half into the box. I've got a strong psychological urge to finish everything on my plate (thanks Mom) and this lets me do so with half the calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,879 Member
    Order meat and vegetables.

When you're at home, use a food scale and you learn appropriate portion sizes.