Can’t find the energy to start again

Options
I started out in 2015 around 190. Slowly but surely over 3 years I got down to about 160 through calorie counting. Now, it’s been about a year and a half and I’ve put about 10 pounds back on. I’m struggling to find the motivation to start logging calories again. I’m thinking about trying weight watchers because it seems a little less tedious than weighing and measuring every little thing I eat. But at the same time, I already know plain old calorie counting works for me. I just feel tired when I think about it. I want to be able to accept my body as it is but I fear that if I don’t somehow track my food intake, I will continue to slowly gain weight indefinitely.

Replies

• noah49822
    noah49822 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Personally for me I have to truly find a reason and personal motivation or I will fail. Why do you really want to lose the weight? If the justification for your goal does not outweigh the satisfaction of a short term enjoyment of the foods we love to eat, then you will always chose the easy way out!!!
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have literally just made a post talking about this feeling.

Too often in the past after a couple of days off I end up delaying and delaying getting started again, this morning was the first time in 4 days that I've been able to go to the gym and it was tough getting out of bed for it.

I know what I'm like though and I told myself that if I don't do it today then the chances are that I won't do it tomorrow either, that spurred me on, I didn't do a lot at all this morning but at least I got back in the gym and now I know that getting out of bed and motivated tomorrow won't be anywhere near as bad as it was today.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way...I actually thought I had used up my allotted willpower for my lifetime. Then, somehow something clicked and I went for it one last time. It worked, and I lost all my weight. I did it by not counting calories as you are suggesting. For me, calorie counting impacts me in a negative way. I don't like the restrictive nature of counting the calories of every bite of food.

My daughter just joined WW.. they've revamped their program and have a lot of zero points foods to make it easier to follow. That might be a good choice for you.
  • aripley
    aripley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way...I actually thought I had used up my allotted willpower for my lifetime. Then, somehow something clicked and I went for it one last time. It worked, and I lost all my weight. I did it by not counting calories as you are suggesting. For me, calorie counting impacts me in a negative way. I don't like the restrictive nature of counting the calories of every bite of food.

My daughter just joined WW.. they've revamped their program and have a lot of zero points foods to make it easier to follow. That might be a good choice for you.

What do you do to limit your intake?
  • aripley
    aripley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    noah49822 wrote: »
    Personally for me I have to truly find a reason and personal motivation or I will fail. Why do you really want to lose the weight? If the justification for your goal does not outweigh the satisfaction of a short term enjoyment of the foods we love to eat, then you will always chose the easy way out!!!

Thanks, this is helpful. I think that’s exactly the problem—I’m not sure why I’m doing this anymore. Maybe I need to spend more tome reflecting on that.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I have a poster that is inspirational and motivating, I put it in as a reminder every day at 10a.m.

Example: you can't finish what you haven't started

There are lots of different motivations out there, hopefully you can find something similar for yourself.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I use eat a lot and six times a day...but no wheat, no sugar, no added fats (when I'm losing) not much dairy. I eat lean proteins, all vegetables, complex carbs, and fruit.
  • YoungKMoney
    YoungKMoney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have recently been diagnosed with type2 diabetes. (Long story short I got ocular Sarcoidosis and was prescribed a steroid which caused the diabetes) I have totally changed my diet though and have been slowly incorporating walking (I hv a Fitbit but had surgery on my knee) into my daily routine. I am motivated because I dont want the medications I'm on. (I'm on a lot), th I'm not focused on how much I weigh or how much I should lose anymore. I'm focused simply on eating better. Period. I dont want to eat things that will have an effect on the diabetes or Sar. I dont even weigh myself. I guess I say all this to say... try refocusing on what really matters to you. Hone in on exactly what your aim is. And try different ideas if previous ones no longer help motivate you, try others! (sorry so long winded). Please dont give up either.